Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone missed it, the Opel GT has been priced at 29,900 euro (about $35,000US).
Geneva. Opel has revealed the price of the new GT at the Geneva Motor Show (March 2-12, 2006) - the new edition of the legendary sports car will be available from 29,900 euro. "Apart from stunning design, the Opel GT offers more thrills for the money than any other high-performance roadster", says Alain Visser, Executive Director, European Marketing Opel/Vauxhall. Deliveries of the two-seater, which features classic rear-wheel drive and a fully-retractable fabric roof, will begin in spring 2007. "But customers who want to be one of the first owners can already reserve a GT at their Opel dealer now." Thanks to its powerful 2.0-liter, 260 hp ECOTEC turbo engine with gasoline direct injection the Opel GT accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in less than six seconds, and reaches a top speed of more than 230 km/h.
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=23715

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm not sure this is right for the redline through. I saw this myself. The video from the solstice GXP unveiling shows the GM rep explaining that the GXP will be well equiped for WELL under 30k. This to me says the Redline should be starting for well under 30k as well (the GXP well equiped=Base Redline). I would assume this is a translation error, or this explains the fancy styled leather seats, and more expensive looking paint on the red opel. To me it would not make sense to sell the Redline for 35k because this would mean the redline would be appox. 12k more then the base price for the standard sky which is practically the same car with a different engine and dual exhaust. I would bet the redline will start around 27-28k and fully loaded be in the early to mid 30s. If the opel is 35k, then they would need to have a reason. We know the leather seats are a little fancier, it has dual exhaust, and stabilitrak, as well as a more upscale paint pallette, but that is all I know. Also, Saturn is looking to attract new customers like myself. If they offer the same performance as many high end sports cars and charge more or the same, this would not pull me from the imports. I need a phenominal deal for the money and they want my business. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
What makes it expensive is the Opel over Saturn badge...
Is there any Opel dealer in the US?

Maybe it costs more in Europe bc of shipment from Wilmington and such.
I expect the price to be around $30k and not more, so I should start saving money for the RL.
Let's just hope it will come sooner =)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
weoco said:
What makes it expensive is the Opel over Saturn badge...
Is there any Opel dealer in the US?

Maybe it costs more in Europe bc of shipment from Wilmington and such.
I expect the price to be around $30k and not more, so I should start saving money for the RL.
Let's just hope it will come sooner =)
Shipping, duty, any other fees, additional testing, etc.

Not to mention training OnStar reps to speak German.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
One thing strikes me as Odd, they said the Solstice could not be sold in Europe because it does not meet the pedestrian crash standards, based on the Opel being sold there I would assume the Sky would be able to be sold in Europe also... I wonder what changes they did that make it meet the standard when the Solstice does not..

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
It had something to do with the design of the front end. I guess it's easier to kill people in a Solstice. Hmmm... perhaps I should reconsider my choice...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Just because the currency translates to that it doesn't mean it's what it would really cost here. For example cars like the Elise and EVO if they cost what they cost in Euro area translated to USA $ would cost $15k more then what the really cost here.

The only way to make a solid comparison is to look at other GM cars sold in the USA that are now sold in Euro areas and gather a rough estimate on what the real translation evaluates to. That's really difficult though due to different cars being in different levels of demand then here and in different countries.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
reedred said:
It had something to do with the design of the front end. I guess it's easier to kill people in a Solstice. Hmmm... perhaps I should reconsider my choice...

lol....... just put a cowcatcher on whatever you drive..... that is easy enough.. OOPSY... did i type that out loud? SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
554 Posts
Astronomer said:
My guess is 29k for the RL
This is the fully optioned one ($29k +), the entry level should be between $27k-$28k. To keep it in the right market segment.

I know someone is going to ask, yes there will be options on the Redline.

·
Registered
554 Posts
brentil said:
Just because the currency translates to that it doesn't mean it's what it would really cost here. For example cars like the Elise and EVO if they cost what they cost in Euro area translated to USA $ would cost $15k more then what the really cost here.

The only way to make a solid comparison is to look at other GM cars sold in the USA that are now sold in Euro areas and gather a rough estimate on what the real translation evaluates to. That's really difficult though due to different cars being in different levels of demand then here and in different countries.

There are other cost factors involved in exporting a vehicle to Europe as well, tariff, shipping, saftey standards, etc. These always inflate the price. The European EVO is actually a different car than the American version with some better performance parts which makes some of the price difference.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Something else I was thinking about is that the european engine will take some tweaking as european petrol has differant combustion properties then our gasoline. Delnari, funny that I guessed the right price. I agree the base should be 27-28. Just seems to fit with the way the base sky prices were in the mide to upper 23k range(2-3k below 25k), I expect the RL will be the same in the 27k range(2-3k below 30k). I also think the RL will be ready to order before the opel, it makes sense that the engine would take longer to design using petrol, and the opel design would also need to pass international standards. Not to mention that GM will probably space out the three vehicles so the plant can support the large initial demand for each of the three models. I would imagine the RL and GXP will be available at the same time. This is first due to the gasoline petrol tweaking, secondly GM will use this to get the bugs out of the opel before production begins using the RL and GXP, lastly it will allow GM to address the initial demand for RL nd GXP before it begins the opel. My guess is that they are holding out on the RL until late summer and delivering Sept/Oct 06, just like the GXP.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I hope that they accidentally put the turbo engine in the silver pearl that I have on order. :thumbs:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Delnari said:
This is the fully optioned one ($29k +), the entry level should be between $27k-$28k. To keep it in the right market segment.

I know someone is going to ask, yes there will be options on the Redline.
I think loaded it will just touch $30k. Add the fancy $2k rims and you get one I want....

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Cow catcher

not sure but I am thinking that the shape of the front end of a Sky would be more likely to cause a pedestrian to end up on yoru hood - whereas the Solstice front end looks like it would as likely as not end up with the pedestrian under the car.

Not sure about you but if I ever get hit by a car while crossing a street - I would rather end up sliding up the hood and rolling off the side than being dragged along underneath it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts