Saturn Sky Forum banner

Options Want-list

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  sky_line 
#1 ·
Is there any thought to have a convertible hardtop?
It would be great to have the hardtop with the soft top stowed away in the trunk area.

#2 ·
If I were to go for a hardtop, I wouldn't want the soft top at all. I'd want the extra storage space I'd get by having a permanent roof, seeing as it has such a tiny trunk space to begin with. I guess it'd also depend on what it looks like. I'm not too keen on the hard top pics I'd seen floating around, and I think I want a convertable :)

#4 ·
I should have been more specific about the 'convertible' hardtop, I would like it to be a detactable top, not to be stowed away in the car's body. In that way you can detach the hardshell top and still use the soft top if needed. Sorry for any confusion. :willy:

#5 ·
I see what you mean... and man... the more I think about it, I think I would like having a convertible top that was detatchable at the base of the hinges for complete removal-- you know-- some kind of latch release thing where you could put the top down then remove it from the car completely...such a system would allow for the attachment of both the factory softie in addition to a hardtop-- as easy as swapping the clear top to the body color one on a C5 in a way

#6 ·
Jack_kow said:
I should have been more specific about the 'convertible' hardtop, I would like it to be a detactable top, not to be stowed away in the car's body. In that way you can detach the hardshell top and still use the soft top if needed. Sorry for any confusion. :willy:

There are a lot of rumors that the Solstice will have a detachable hardtop available, so that it can be road raced. Any top that fits the Solstice would have to fit the Sky also... wouldn't it?

#7 ·
Jack_kow said:
I want the convertible too. But during the winter months I think this would be nice to have to keep the weather out. If you are looking for trunk space, this car isn't for you. This is basically just a 2 passenger vehicle.
Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about it, but it's nice to have, you know? ;) Plus it would be good to remove the extra weight of the soft top hardware.

If it'll work on the Solstice, I hope it'll work on the Sky... I'm actually getting more interested in it the more I think about it. :D

#8 ·
Rik said:
There are a lot of rumors that the Solstice will have a detachable hardtop available, so that it can be road raced. Any top that fits the Solstice would have to fit the Sky also... wouldn't it?
I would think that they would develop the Sol's removable hard top with the Sky in mind. To keep production costs down, the windshield frame, and the softtop will most likely be identical between the two. If there is a difference that would cause the top not to fit both, it most likely would be around the rear deck bodywork.

#9 ·
Take a look at the C6 Corvette removal top design. This is the design that will be used in the factory removable hardtop (not completely flat across the top, matches the rear hump design).

Also, there are a couple companies planning a carbon fiber hood and trunk for the Solstice and Sky as well. I think the trunk part is just to help match the hood, but one company is designing a builtin spoiler in the carbon fiber trunk as a one piece design. :)

#10 ·
Delnari said:
Also, there are a couple companies planning a carbon fiber hood and trunk for the Solstice and Sky as well. I think the trunk part is just to help match the hood, but one company is designing a builtin spoiler in the carbon fiber trunk as a one piece design. :)

i like the idea of a pair. usually it wont cost you much more to do the pair than it would to do just the hood. i would love it if one of the companies had an SS hood scoop option. i probably would love to have the trunk with the built in spoiler (assumed lip). i love the look of the spoiler in the calander and if the trunk had that kind of spoiler, i would take it right then and there. (turns out the spoiler on the RL is furry and the picture in the calander was actually clear :lol: )

#11 ·
Can you say... RICE??? Anytime I see a carbon fiber hood, it makes me think of all the Jap tuners running around here...

Delnari said:

#12 ·
101jinx101 said:
Can you say... RICE??? Anytime I see a carbon fiber hood, it makes me think of all the Jap tuners running around here...
Anyone who is trendy/look-at-me/fast-&-furious enough to have an unpainted CF hood may rightly be labeled a riceboy...but for serious (non 16-year-old bling) utility purposes, I'd take one---painted of course---for the weight reduction.

CF paints just as easy as fiberglass does-- only the kids leave it bare.

#13 ·
I'll take painted cf parts over unpainted any day. Sure, cf looks great, but mdlestat said it best: "only the kids leave it bare."

I think it's more fun to take off like a rocket in a super-light car with painted cf parts and leave 'em wondering. ;)

#15 ·
101jinx101 said:
ill be the third to say only unpainted is rice. looks vs looks, no difference. the CF will look exactly the same, but will be so much lighter. if the chassis was CF, i can tell you nobody would be calling out rice, but for some reason, the hood kinda gets under people's skin. i say, get lighter and paint it up nice. visually the same, but enhancing the performance? count me in!

#16 ·
Delnari said:
Take a look at the C6 Corvette removal top design. This is the design that will be used in the factory removable hardtop (not completely flat across the top, matches the rear hump design).

Someone could design a replacement for the trunk on the sky/solstice that would lok like the corvette top including a targa type liftoff section...http://www.skyroadster.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=366

and I had a idea about the Carbon Fiber, why not paint the outside and leave the underside bare to show that it is carbon fiber... I think that would really be hot... and I am 51 years old

#17 ·
That's a good idea... I thought about it about 30 seconds before I read your post :lol:

btw, the entire frame of the enzo ferarri (only 100 made, and sold for $1,000,000 each) is made of CF... someone wanna call a car that goes from 0-100 in 3.5 seconds rice? I don't think so...

#21 ·
cupp said:
Hugger Orange would be cool, but those red pieces inside would need to be orange too. Even better would be all the chrome/bright pieces in a painted black or carbon fiber look.
That would look hot inside two tone orange and black. I would go with the carbon fiber trim finish to accent it. Chrome would stand out.

#22 ·
I don't care so much about a full-blown hard-top, but I'd like to see a targa-top option. Don't some of the Opel/Vauxhall models still offer targas? I think it would look good, and it would even have some roll-bar-like benefits to it (since it doesn't look like there is any space to add a real one). I don't think the Solstice would look that good as a targa, but I'd sure like to see it on the Sky.

#25 ·
DuSpinnst said:
I agree a rollbar would be nice.
I assure you I hope to never use it for it's safety feature but it is good to know it is there if you need it. If you look at other roadsters that have roll bars they made them esthetically appealing so as not to take away from the appearance of the car. :)

#26 ·
marklynn70 said:
I assure you I hope to never use it for it's safety feature but it is good to know it is there if you need it. If you look at other roadsters that have roll bars they made them esthetically appealing so as not to take away from the appearance of the car. :)
The thing is msot cars with what look to be roll bars are actually what are called style bars. Most of them are just designer things that look like roll bars but they don't actually hook into any major body parts for structure. Some of them are made of plastic and aluminum too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.