Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oregon/Washington Fall Run

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay folks I'm ready to organize, develop the route and lead an October run to the coast on Saturday Oct 28th. We can meet our Seattle Solstice/Sky owners in Longview then cruise down the Washington side of the Columbia to Illwaco. Next we'll head up and explore the North Head Lighthouse. We’ll then cross over to Oregon via the Astoria/Megler Bridge and have lunch at the Red Lion at the West End Moorings. Our trip back will be on the Oregon side using Hwy 30 with a stop in Rainier. Our Washington friends can then cross over to Longview and head north to Seattle or follow us all the way into Portland. This is a tentative route of course and I'm open to any changes/deletions/corrections. Those who are interested please sign up using the Solstice Forum "Pacific" Oregon/Washington Fall Run thread. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm In!!

I'm in and I would really love to see a few Sky's with us on this run. (after all, our club is called the Pacific Northwest Solstice and SKY Club). I'll run by the Saturn Dealerships around here and post a flyer as soon as I can. (The one in Puyallup and the other in Olympia.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just as soon as she arrives - We're in!

We're at event code 3000 and should be built 9/25-10/1 (crossing fingers due to the turbo issues). We're anticipating the arrival in November.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great to hear Kristen! :) Let your salesman know about the run so he/she can any others that might like to come along.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I made the pre solo on Sunday. WOW if the weather is good this run will be fantastic. Washington Hwy 4 (Oceanbeach Hwy) is in great condition. Lots of nice turns, awesome scenery, plenty of passing lanes and best of all at 9:45AM it wasn't busy. The run from Longview to N. Head Lighthouse is about 2 hrs. We'll put in a couple of stops for potty and photos. If you've never been to the N Head Lighthouse you're in for a treat. Crossing the Astoria bridge is a breeze with no more toll charge. The Red Lion has closed the restaurant so I found "The Ship Inn" in downtown Astoria. The manager Janet will take care of us for lunch. This place is right on the water with a commanding view of the bay. I'll put together a complete schedule with times,view and photo op stops, etc. The speed limit on Wash 401 is 55MPH, I found out the hard way by travelling 64MPH and was caught on radar, pulled over and warned that they take their speed limits very seriously in Pacific County. Anyway the ride was nice, I know everyone will enjoy this run providing we have good weather. I'll start monitoring the weather 10 days prior to the run. Please sign up today

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kristen... what's the current situation??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone this is the final week before the run and the weather looks good for Saturday. Later today or Wednesday I'll post run information and directions to our meeting place in Longview. I was out of town last week so that's why there were no posts. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kristen... what's the current situation??
As of last Saturday I was at 3400 and scheduled to be built this week...Not a chance in you know what that I'll have the car by this weekend. However, i'm looking forward to a spring run when the skies clear! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Directions to the meeting place in Longview are easy. After you take the Longview exit off I-5 you’ll be on Tenant Way heading towards downtown Longview. When you come to Oregon Way (433) make a left turn and head towards the Longview Bridge. We’ll be meeting in the parking lot of the Pacific Rim Espresso stand and Ozzie’s Car Wash on the corner of Oregon Way & Industrial Way. Look for Solstice’s hanging out. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Once we leave Longview at around 10AM we’ll head west on Industrial Way until it meets Washington 4 (Ocean Beach Hwy). From there we have a short run to Cathlamette along the Columbia River where we can stop for a break. The Riverview Restaurant is a good place to refill the coffee cup or use the facilities. :D

From Cathlamette we have a 50 minute run to the llwaco turn off at Hwy 401 (watch your speed) From there we are about 23 miles from llwaco. By the way, the distance from Longview to llwaco is 80 miles. Our next stop is the “Dismal Nitch Rest Stop”. This stop has a great view of Astoria Bay and is a perfect photo op location. From here we have a short run through llwaco up to the lighthouse. Once we arrive at the lighthouse it’s just a short .25 mile level hike to the lighthouse for an awesome view way atop the cliffs of North head. Plan on a 30 – 45 minute stay then we’re off to Astoria for lunch at The Ships Inn. That’s it, after lunch we can run down Oregon Hwy 30 to Longview or some folks may want to continue down Oregon Hwy 101 into Seaside and take Hwy 26 back to Portland. Comments, suggestions are welcome and encouraged since I’ve never actually done this before. :willy:
Columbia River Gorge Run 6/25/06

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good Luck!! I used to live there and know this time of year, especially in that area, you all can look forward to some crappy weather... definately wont be a top down drive...:thumbs:

Now if u want to come to Vegas, we got 75 degree weather and sun!:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Luck!! I used to live there and know this time of year, especially in that area, you all can look forward to some crappy weather... definately wont be a top down drive...:thumbs:

Now if u want to come to Vegas, we got 75 degree weather and sun!:cool:
Actually it was 65 and beautiful today in the Pacific Northwest. Not a cloud in the sky. The NW often experiences wonderful fall weather. Now, tomorrow? Who knows - might snow. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Actually it was 65 and beautiful today in the Pacific Northwest. Not a cloud in the sky. The NW often experiences wonderful fall weather. Now, tomorrow? Who knows - might snow. :D
No Doubt!! U remember a couple years ago when it snowed the first week in May? This was up north of Seattle... I woke up and was like:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow that was fun in spite of the fog. Thanks SweetSly, SgtMilburn, PlanB, SunSports and Wizzard98588 for coming along on the run. Special thanks to PlanB & Wizzard98588 for the krispy kremes. :thumbs: I've downloaded the photos along with the pre-run photos so you can see what we were SUPPOSE to see. Anyway I had a blast, the lunch was great and the drive home on Oregon Hwy30 was filled with sunshine and smooth roads. Thanks again everyone for coming along. :D

Check out the photos: http://www.putfile.com/bugeye/images

·
Registered
37 Posts
No Doubt!! U remember a couple years ago when it snowed the first week in May? This was up north of Seattle... I woke up and was like:eek: :eek:
Oh yeah! Can't forget that day. I was trying to get to the airport from Bellevue...needless to say I missed my flight.

Sounds like they had some fog on the run. Imagine that! :) However I think the Washington/Oregon Coast is lovely rain, sun, fog or snow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh yeah! Can't forget that day. I was trying to get to the airport from Bellevue...needless to say I missed my flight.

Sounds like they had some fog on the run. Imagine that! :) However I think the Washington/Oregon Coast is lovely rain, sun, fog or snow.
Beautiful to look at, yes.... I'm glad though I moved, gets too depressing in the winter time. What I miss most are the roads....me and the boys used to hit the back highways on our sportbikes and tear it up....120 around 50mph corners gives me a rush.... unfortunately out here you can't do that because it never rains. The oil, dirt and grease builds up on the road and becomes very slippery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts