Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guys knew me you know I'm a car guy, as in a get your hands dirty hot rod type of guy. Waiting for the Red Line and driving my '70 Baja everyday I'm really starting to want to buy something now rather then wait.

One thing I promised myself i would never do is buy another new car and waste the depreciation with the drop in value over time.
For about $7,000 less then a Red Line I'm thinking of buying this:

57 chev pickup-ground up restoration (brand new everything)
New 300 horse 350-4 bolt main.
400 street trip tranny
New Camaro 10 Bolt Rear End
Jim Meyer Racing Front Suspension
Vintage Air/Heat
17-18 MPG

What do you guys think? Would be a ton of fun and I would love to take care of it. People will never stop staring no matter how old it gets and with $60,000 in receipts it will never go down in value.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's a personal choice. For me, regardless of price I would not want to drive that.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Well there's a place for the gun rack but can you put the top down on a sunny day?:lol:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice.... Very Dukes of Hazzard.

·
Registered
820 Posts
From an insurance point of view, the truck would total loss if you were ever involved in an accident. Even if you fixed it yourself, they would only give you the salvage value to repair it with. The RL will depreciate, but not as bad as some may think it will. I really believe it will do well, and if the RL gets in a fender-bender it won't total. I use to own a '73 mach I, I loved it too, but I really loved it back in '00 when I could fill it with premium for $20 bucks even! And that was expensive! Now you'd be lucky to fill it up for $60.00 (ridiculous price!) I know someone has to hold on to great cars like those, but I am glad to be gettng an RL that is modern, will not total in a fender bender, gets 30mpg hwy, and shouldn't need a tune-up, or points changed every couple of months. Hope this helps, beautiful truck though!:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I once had a 53 Ford F100 with the original flat head V8. Lots of fun but when you compare it to the Sky, your talking apples and oranges. If I had to choose between a classic truck or my Sky, I'd take my Sky.

·
Registered
820 Posts
vstar said:
Nice.... Very Dukes of Hazzard.
VSTAR, can you post some of the white sky photos to the members photo area? The one you used for your avatar is sweet!:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nemesis said:
VSTAR, can you post some of the white sky photos to the members photo area? The one you used for your avatar is sweet!:D
I have a few in My Gallery as well. Now go there and ogle my car........come on.........OGLE!

:lol:

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
frikkin nice!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also an old school hot rod type. Always been more of a Mustang guy than anything else. I would have bought a 69 stang over the sky but I needed something that I could double as a daily driver and a toy and not spend 10k a month on gas :jester: .

One of these days when I can afford to have my daily driver and a toy... there will be a Classic Rod sittin in the garage. If it were me, and it wasn't going to be my daily ride, that truck would be parked in my garage right now.

I miss that V8 rumble.

·
Registered
820 Posts
belletire said:
I have a few in My Gallery as well. Now go there and ogle my car........come on.........OGLE!

:lol:

OK! I .........ogled.......I specifically like the picture of your WHITE sky in front of WHITE Castle - Hilarious!:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
my dream. and this one is on ebay with a buy it now price of less than a sky. There is no way I could afford the gas nor would I want to drive a car like this daily.

someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
Allways loved the Stangs, had a 95GT. Man that rear end is all over the place.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I absolutely LOVE that truck. A classic for sure. Honestly I think you should go for it.:drool: but dont forget I am a hillbilly from Arkansas so I was raised the think that trucks like that are cool :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome Truck!!!

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have a deposit down on a Sky RL due some time in the future. I have always been a G.M. guy all my 43 years. Been waiting for an American car that stood up to the competition. Saw the Sky at an All G.M.Car Show on Sunday and put my deposit down on Monday! You guys do a great job of dealing with the Good, Bad and the Funny!I look foward to the advice and comments in the months to come! Randolph

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
dolph4golf said:
Saw the Sky at an All G.M.Car Show on Sunday and put my deposit down on Monday! You guys do a great job of dealing with the Good, Bad and the Funny!I look foward to the advice and comments in the months to come! Randolph
Hey, Randy! That was ME!

Welcome!

Let me know who your salesguy is; I'll provide the address where he can mail my share of the commission. :lol:

Be sure to keep your eye on the Pacific Thread; that's where we'll post info on rallies and such. We planning a little hop up Mulholland in August, there might be a co-pilot seat or two available if you want to ride in one of these little screamers under the hands of an experienced driver through some twisties...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts