Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now approaching 300 miles on the odometer. Took my Sky out today for about 50 miles of back road twisties. Some road was a little rough, but most was not. Midway we began to notice an irritating rattle in the dash, even on pretty smooth roads. It seems to come from the drivers side and or the center vents. Then, I noticed some vibrating noise from the panel between the seats which is not too bad. I had hoped that GM had worked the bugs out on the Solstice. If anyone has experienced the rattle, Solstice or Sky, let me know. I am planning to take it back to the dealer.... but I hate to have them tear into my dashboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
I think you can "rattle-proof" your interior panels, can't you? I'm not sure how, but I think it's mostly done for people with a lot of subs in their trunk, but it should work for this too
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
The car's screwed man! There is a new program at Saturn. Just bring it up to Toronto and leave it will me for 3 or 4 months. I'll tighten her up!:eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
So I guess that anyone that lives up in the Detroit area better not get a SKY, those roads will put rattles in a tank.

Nothing I hate more in a car, rattles!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Kimberly
ChiliSky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
skyfan said:
I am now approaching 300 miles on the odometer. Took my Sky out today for about 50 miles of back road twisties. Some road was a little rough, but most was not. Midway we began to notice an irritating rattle in the dash, even on pretty smooth roads. It seems to come from the drivers side and or the center vents. Then, I noticed some vibrating noise from the panel between the seats which is not too bad. I had hoped that GM had worked the bugs out on the Solstice. If anyone has experienced the rattle, Solstice or Sky, let me know. I am planning to take it back to the dealer.... but I hate to have them tear into my dashboard.
I just got back today and have over a 1000 miles on mine in just 4 days, and not one rattle.... no clunks, either... it is one of the best put together cars i have ever seen.
 

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
I heard a rattle once or twice, but it quickly went away. I have heard the "clunk" though(shifting from 1st into 2nd only), and the owners manual says it is normal. It usually goes away if I rev it up high enough before shifting. I have a tendency not to let it get too high rpms before shifting I think. Working on it, though, just give me another 500 miles!!:driving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
That's what your warranty is for, got get any issues fixed. These are brand new cars, there's going to be issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
500 Posts
I also hear a rattle at 300 miles, left of steering wheel inside dash. I hate taking it in for one little thing at a time, but this kind of stuff drives me nuts. With my RV, the fight against rattles was a never-ending battle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
same dash squeak also

1500+ miles... i get a squeak also from the left side of the dash board. also get a minor squeak behind the passenger seat....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
skybuy said:
1500+ miles... i get a squeak also from the left side of the dash board. also get a minor squeak behind the passenger seat....
That squeak behind the passenger seat is most likely the same problem that lots of folks (myself included) have been experiencing with the metal pins on the top rubbing through the cheap felt that is glued onto the metal L-bracket in the trunk. See my fix for this problem in my last post in the "Squeaky Top" thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
1300 miles -- quiet - no wind no rattles... Allllll good:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
1300 miles -- quiet - no wind no rattles... Allllll good:thumbs:

Rick...you are definitely one of the lucky ones to not have any squeaks or rattles! As I and others can attest, they can be very annoying and frustrating...and turning up the volume on the radio just doesn't cut it for me. :banghead: At the moment, I am squeak-free due to my 'fix'. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NCBlue said:
I heard a rattle once or twice, but it quickly went away. I have heard the "clunk" though(shifting from 1st into 2nd only), and the owners manual says it is normal. It usually goes away if I rev it up high enough before shifting. I have a tendency not to let it get too high rpms before shifting I think. Working on it, though, just give me another 500 miles!!:driving:
Dido here! The same thing happened to me. I took a 50 mile jaunt over some twisty back roads when my Sky had about 500 miles on her. The constant rattle in the dash really alarmed me. The next time I took her out the rattle totally disappeared and not once under any conditions has it happened again. That was several months ago. I also originally experience a clunk when shifting between 2nd and 3rd, but I havent heard that in a long time. Either I am getting smoother with the shifting, or this car cures itself???? Go figure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
skyfan said:
I am now approaching 300 miles on the odometer. Took my Sky out today for about 50 miles of back road twisties. Some road was a little rough, but most was not. Midway we began to notice an irritating rattle in the dash, even on pretty smooth roads. It seems to come from the drivers side and or the center vents. Then, I noticed some vibrating noise from the panel between the seats which is not too bad. I had hoped that GM had worked the bugs out on the Solstice. If anyone has experienced the rattle, Solstice or Sky, let me know. I am planning to take it back to the dealer.... but I hate to have them tear into my dashboard.
I just got my sky in may and it does the same thing. But then stops doing after a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I had a rattle in my dash. I kid you not, I took my fist to the top of the dash and gave it a good bang. The rattle is gone. :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Dynamat

I used to do custom stereo installations for awhile and we would somtimes use Dynamat extreme as a sound deadening for subs, it works well and you should (if you can find the rattles location exactly) be able to use it as a cushon layer

Keep in mind this stuff isnt that cheep and there may be another route to go if you dont want to rip your whole dash apart to apply it or pay a, what could be high amount or labor at a stereo shop, for example we would charge an extra 200-300 dollars to dynamat the trunk and all surrounding areas affected by the vibration, but when you are already spending two to three thousand for a custom stereo whats another 200-300 dollars :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
1300 miles -- quiet - no wind no rattles... Allllll good:thumbs:
I'm at 2000 miles and only have a little wind noise at the back of each door where the top, door, and window meet.:)
And Texas country roads are pretty bumpy and tough on cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
no rattles or squeaks on mine have 3500 miles on her just aliitle wind noise on the drivers side window and it seems to be less than at the start.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top