Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some feed back, and I realize this topic has been listed before, but I haven't really received a real answer as to what to do.
The rust proofing of the Sky: should I consider having it done due to the salt put on the roads during winter? We will be driving the Sky all year, but unlike the southern states, here in Michigan they use the salts for keeping the roads clear. (that crunching sound while driving isn't the snow, it the crushed salt!) I didn't put the rust proofing on our other vans, but both now have rusting under the sides and along the bottom edge of the doors. I just hate the thought of having rust appear on the Sky, so if you have some experience with the 'northern' weather, and good/bad info on rust prevention, please post your concerns and helps.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Considering you plan on driving in the winter, rust proofing is a positive move. I would be concerned more with the handling and especially the clearance though. I lived in Waukeegan and North Chicago and remember the little Mercury Bobcat we had bottoming out on a regular basis as the snow fell.
My suggestion is to get a winter car and not drive the Sky unless no other option was available.

By the way, my Bobcats floors deteriorated to the point I took it to the car graveyard, that occured in less than 5 years, no undercoating in those days.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The back page of the SKY brochure says " Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required and none is recommended." I to will be driving through Michigan winters, so if you find out anything otherwise let me know.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
OK, I need some feed back, and I realize this topic has been listed before, but I haven't really received a real answer as to what to do.
The rust proofing of the Sky: should I consider having it done due to the salt put on the roads during winter? We will be driving the Sky all year, but unlike the southern states, here in Michigan they use the salts for keeping the roads clear. (that crunching sound while driving isn't the snow, it the crushed salt!) I didn't put the rust proofing on our other vans, but both now have rusting under the sides and along the bottom edge of the doors. I just hate the thought of having rust appear on the Sky, so if you have some experience with the 'northern' weather, and good/bad info on rust prevention, please post your concerns and helps.
Hey KK....I ask this question back in May. Go to search and type in rustproofing. I was told that the Sky is already rustproofed? I plan on driving mind all year as well, but plan to keep it stored on bad wintery, snow slushy, crappy salty days.....damn I am moving down south.......:cool:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Move south for the winter

MRSVIPER said:
Hey KK....I ask this question back in May. Go to search and type in rustproofing. I was told that the Sky is already rustproofed? I plan on driving mind all year as well, but plan to keep it stored on bad wintery, snow slushy, crappy salty days.....damn I am moving down south.......:cool:
Yep - we may all live in house trailers :D but we only had 3 days of snow on the ground last year (very typical duration and amount) but it was a REAL doozy of a snow - almost 2 and 1/2 inches!!!!!! (dont laugh - we were amazed) Bad part is when it does snow we shut everything down. Nobody owns snow plows, snow blowers, snow shovels - its just not justifiable to spend money on those things because we use them so infrequently.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ineedmorebotox said:
Yep - we may all live in house trailers :D but we only had 3 days of snow on the ground last year (very typical duration and amount) but it was a REAL doozy of a snow - almost 2 and 1/2 inches!!!!!! (dont laugh - we were amazed) Bad part is when it does snow we shut everything down. Nobody owns snow plows, snow blowers, snow shovels - its just not justifiable to spend money on those things because we use them so infrequently.
I just can't imagine not having plows, shovels, ect...guess you don't store your winter boots, gloves, coats, and stuff in the front closet either!:lol:

Thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my opionion, rust proofing is going to be essential in that climate if your planning on driving year round. Is this car one that you'll keep for quite some time? If so, get the protection; protect your investment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with MRSVIPER. Don't waste your money. The new cars are better protected than those older ones with "rust proofing". Besides, I believe that the rust proofers will not warrant the car beyond what GM does.

I will not be rust proofing my Red Line. But I will be keeping her clean and dry. That, in my humble opinion, is better than rust proofing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
I just can't imagine not having plows, shovels, ect...guess you don't store your winter boots, gloves, coats, and stuff in the front closet either!:lol:

Thanks for the info everyone.
:) that is correct - have to be careful what kind of winter coat you purchase or you will burn up! Only need a winter coat in January and February - the rest of the winter we wear a jacket. Dont get me wrong its cold - but not below freezing except during the wee hours of the night. My baby will still sleep in the garage though - no freezing temps for her :thumbs: (if she ever arrives......:banghead: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts