Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i walked a walk that i never though i would walk.. Confused.. I am... I walked into a Saturn Dealership. Not BMW, not Mazda, but Saturn. I'm still confused. But i'm head over heals for this new car. Yet i have my concerns also.

I look at the pictures of the Sky, it looks like quality work. Good strong sheetmetal, and solid hard plastics inside that have excellent fit and finish. However I still wonder. This weekend when i was waiting to speak to a salesperson, I sat myself into a Ion (I think that's what it's called). I almost flung the door off the hinge when i opened it. The thin, cheap plastic door inserts, and almost plastic like exterior paneling. Not to mention when i closed the door i heard the interior panel actually shake. This is a brand new car we're talking about here.

I know the Sky is suposed to be a whole new direction for Saturn, but have any of you actually sat in one? "Felt" the quality? Let me know..

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
The doors probably felt plastic-like, because they were plastic! I have a SC2 which also has the dent-resistant plastic exterior surrounding it - and it has been an amazing thing. 11 years later and it still looks new, no dings or anything - even though it has had a rough life. No worries about rust either! Great for the 9 years I lived in the Mid-west!

The SKY is metal, so the solid feel that you are looking for should be there. I was a little sad to hear that this would not be dent-resistant, but the plastic can't be easily molded to produce the lines that make the SKY so beautiful.

I'm sure the build will be nice and solid. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
wakebord99 said:
have any of you actually sat in one? "Felt" the quality? Let me know..
I sit in them every day. They don't feel cheep. Your compairing apples to oranges. Don't worry, you wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thumbs: FewF.. that's what i needed to hear. Oh.. i can't wait.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ditto on the "polymer" aka plastic. I just rear ended a wall the other day at about 10 mph. Besides needing a little bit of touch up paint on the bumper you can't even tell it was hit.

The stuff works wonders...actually wish it was on the Sky.

Some thread around here has someone worrying about people coming up and hitting the Sky thinking it still has the polymer. ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did I actually post about that? oh, lol :p unless it wasn't me... but i've had someone say that too :p that they'd boot my door just to see :p I told him I'd boot his head straight into the busy street :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Unfortunately, Saturn has been running an ad for their other cars lately that includes a scene where a kid takes a good whack at an Ion with a baseball bat. :nono:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
USFJoseph said:
Ditto on the "polymer" aka plastic. I just rear ended a wall the other day at about 10 mph. Besides needing a little bit of touch up paint on the bumper you can't even tell it was hit.

The stuff works wonders...actually wish it was on the Sky.

Some thread around here has someone worrying about people coming up and hitting the Sky thinking it still has the polymer. ;)
uh the bumpers even on the Sky are covered with polyurethane and will pop back out in most instances while the bumper material underneath has been crushed, if you hit a wall at 10mph(they are only designed for 5mph collisions), I would have it checked out, you may have done quite a bit of damage to the bumper structure it's self.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah I looked already -- everything checked out ok. I actually caught the corner while swinging out so I don't think I hit the bumper straight on. Luckily I didn't scratch the quarter panel either though :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
USFJoseph said:
It was me- some kids loitering outside a Greek festival asked permission to hit my car with stuff. I was actually thinking about this yesterday when I backed into a shopping cart pretty hard and nothing happened. Later, i thought about it from the other side again as I looked at the huge gaps between the body panels (it was like 22 degrees here).

It's a tough call, but I think I'll prefer metal. I'll never glance at my Sky and think 'God, what a crapwagon,' because the panels are 1/2" from each other. not to mention trying to get my friends to take my plastic sports car seriously...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
reedred said:
not to mention trying to get my friends to take my plastic sports car seriously...
thats what they said in 1953 about the Corvette... and it is still plastic today........53 years later...:thumbs:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still, you have to admit. Closing a Corvette door and an Ion door is a HUGE difference in build quality and weight.

BTW.. Vettes are made from fiberglass not plastic :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
wakebord99 said:
Still, you have to admit. Closing a Corvette door and an Ion door is a HUGE difference in build quality and weight.

BTW.. Vettes are made from fiberglass not plastic :D
Fiber re-enforced plastic the fiber is glass fibers and it is encased in plastic placed in molds and let harden into shape........that is what fiberglass is....
guess you never looked at the early Vettes, speaking of no quality.....
the vette in the 60's was nicknamed "the plastic fantastic"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an SC2 and I thought the ION felt strangely cheap when I tried it out also.

But like someone else said, apples to oranges.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SkyMan 07 said:
Fiber re-enforced plastic the fiber is glass fibers and it is encased in plastic placed in molds and let harden into shape........that is what fiberglass is....
guess you never looked at the early Vettes, speaking of no quality.....
the vette in the 60's was nicknamed "the plastic fantastic"
Well i'm not here to argue the manufacturing methods of fiberglass. If you want to break it down.. everything is made of carbon atoms :lol:

I think we can all agree that the "Feel" of the Corvette fiberglass ( or plastic depending on who you ask :thumbs: ) is much better than most other Saturn plastic.

BTW.. SkyMan.. I would strongly urge you to never go up to a vette owner and tell them their car is made of plastic. :nono:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts