Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning
I have an 08 Redline. Last week after plugging the brakes to avoid a deer, my cat started to overheat. Not sure plugging the breaks has any correlation to overheating, but after this is when it occurred.
I read through all the posts on changing the thermostat, burping the coolant system etc. So I am mechanically inclined and decided to change the thermostat and coolant and went through all the steps. Probably 3X on the burping. No luck.
I even bought the fluid transfer pump and did that today. No luck.
I also purchased the purge valves and installed both per the tech document.
As I drive the temperature seems to drop a bit and stabilize, but if I coast the temp increases. And of course there is still no heat. And is going to get cold in PA really soon...
I noticed when I returned from the drive today the temp was about 251, and the reservoir was completely full and coolant was coming out the overflow. Within a matter of minutes, it purged and the level returned to normal.
Questions I have.
Still air in the system?
Should I bring it to the dealer for a vac and fill for the coolant?
Faulty thermostat ? (Just replaced)
Water pump?
Anyone know any good mechanics in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania area ? I'm sure I will get raped by the local dealer and may end up the same place I am now.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I noticed when I returned from the drive today the temp was about 251, and the reservoir was completely full and coolant was coming out the overflow. Within a matter of minutes, it purged and the level returned to normal.
Questions I have.
Still air in the system?
From that symptom, YES!

Try burping it again, and/or buy your own pump. Doubt it's the thermostat or water pump. The latter would be indicated if you saw leaks or overall lowering in coolant level.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Good morning
I have an 08 Redline. Last week after plugging the brakes to avoid a deer, my cat started to overheat. Not sure plugging the breaks has any correlation to overheating, but after this is when it occurred.
I read through all the posts on changing the thermostat, burping the coolant system etc. So I am mechanically inclined and decided to change the thermostat and coolant and went through all the steps. Probably 3X on the burping. No luck.
I even bought the fluid transfer pump and did that today. No luck.
I also purchased the purge valves and installed both per the tech document.
As I drive the temperature seems to drop a bit and stabilize, but if I coast the temp increases. And of course there is still no heat. And is going to get cold in PA really soon...
Questions I have.
Still air in the system?
Should I bring it to the dealer for a vac and fill for the coolant?
Faulty thermostat ? (Just replaced)
Water pump?
Anyone know any good mechanics in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania area ? I'm sure I will get raped by the local dealer and may end up the same place I am now.

Thanks in advance
Disclaimer: I am a new mechanic and still learning.

I recently changed my WP and Thermostat. Burping took patience.
As soon as I return from my family emergency out of state trip, I'm going to be slapping in all new DDM hoses... which means burping it again.

What I did the first time (and seemed to work with MANY cycles):
1) Had the drivers side of the car as the highest point.
2) Had my friend hold the reservoir as high as the car would allow.
3) Filled from the radiator hose.
4) Took the relief/return hose off of the top (header???), and kept going through cycles until it pumped out like a steady geyser.
5) Turned it off as soon as I hit 212 (probably too conservative and why I had to do so many cycles).

What I plan on trying next time:
1) Using air hose pressure to push fluid through the system (per the Tim Ronak video)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is curious you mentioned that about the deer.
my overheating problem appeared some minutes after I raise the car in a new ramps with some abrubt movements That probably created the coolant moved in the reservoir tank so much that maybe in a concret moment some air could introduced in the circuit.

i dont know if this is a Stupid idea but I have been thinking about that and now, after read this message it make me think about this relation again

in other hand, if this happens, all the people that goes to the circuit on track days would suffer this problem and I don’t think is the case so..... no idea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is curious you mentioned that about the deer.
my overheating problem appeared some minutes after I raise the car in a new ramps with some abrubt movements That probably created the coolant moved in the reservoir tank so much that maybe in a concret moment some air could introduced in the circuit.

i dont know if this is a Stupid idea but I have been thinking about that and now, after read this message it make me think about this relation again

in other hand, if this happens, all the people that goes to the circuit on track days would suffer this problem and I don’t think is the case so..... no idea
As I said, there is probably zero correlation between me plugging the brakes and my issue. BUT, I am trying to cover everything. I also just noticed a leak under the DS. It could simply be blowing out the overflow, or something worse. I see nothing leaking at idle. This is a real pain..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts