Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I came across this thread since the 07 I bought came close to overheating on the way home. It got up to 245 sitting in traffic and back down to 225 the next mile home. The fan is not spinning, and I need to test components this weekend. I am hoping the fan will run, but if not will replace the module. The GM Direct diagram shows the shroud, fan blade, motor, etc. as separate components, but only sells it as one unit which sucks. Good to see the Ford module will work and Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Coo...=8-2&keywords=RY1532+Fan+Control+Relay+Module) also has it for $22.99. I am hoping that is it, if not and it is the fan I am going to see if I can make a universal replacement work. $79 vice I think $350 at GMPartsDirect is worth the ole college try...

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I got to test it last weekend as I had to take off the intake box and radiator hose to get to the module to test the fan. A bit of a PITA, but the fan is strong so I ordered a new module and will put it in this weekend. GM really f-ed it up when they made it one unit. If I ever do have fan issues, I will take it apart and see if the local parts house has a fan motor to that is close. But $23 vice $350 is definitely a no brainer. As is doing as much of my own work as I can. When the dealer wants almost $200 to change the plugs, something is seriously wrong. Instead of over $4K for parts and repairs, I have so far spent about $800 on parts including the shocks and vapor canister yet to install, which accounts for half the total. I think total time on the other parts, to include the variable timing solenoids, plugs, AC controls, and pulling the fan module is about, and if I really stretch the work, 10 hours. Even at $120/hour that is $1200, which is what the dealer wanted to install the AC control panel along. How the hell do they estimate their hours?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Well, replacing the module didn't do the job, so now I am thinking about putting in a radiator thermostatic switch to kick the fan on. Of course that means taking off the module connection to do so and I am not sure what that will do to the ECM. Has anyone tried that?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Basically with an electric fan you have a few options to control it. The Redline is using the ECM and fan control module, while the 2.4L uses the ECM (actually the temperature from the ECM). Before computers controlled cars with an electrical fan you had two options, a manual switch in the cockpit, or a thermostatic switch (TS). The uses a sending unit, either the temperature sending unit in the block or on that is inserted between the radiator fins. This wire from it goes to a relay, which controls the power to the fan. Thus the fan cuts on when the switch reaches a preset temp, or you can also have a manually set trigger temp.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
TexSon, I still would try and troubleshoot the stock system. If the fan isn't running when it should, there's a problem somewhere in the system. I suspect, if the module didn't fix it and fuses are good, that there is a wire broken somewhere near a plug or a plug itself is bad.
I know it is not the fan plug as that is what I powered the fan with and some jumpers. That leaves the plug to the module. Not sure if the GM repair manual has how to test that, so I guess I'll do some looking.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
When you did the jumpers, did you disconnect the plug and alligator clip right to the pins or send power through the plug some other way further upstream in the harness? Just trying to get a good visual...
I plugged it in directly to the fan, which is how I knew the fan was good.

However, to continue the saga. On Monday when I drove it the fan didn't come on. Tuesday I had to take my wife to the airport, which meant a bigger vehicle, and that also gave the Sky time to cool off good. So Tuesday afternoon when I got home I sprayed the fan motor with contact cleaner. Spun the fan, and then sprayed the motor again a time or two. So today I drove it to work to see what it would do but it was too dark to see the fan at work. And working on vehicles in the parking lot there is somewhat frowned on. The hottest it got on the way to work was 208, so I had to wait until I got home. It didn't over 200 on the way home, and the fan was turning when I checked. I guess I make sure and spray contact cleaner on it ever 3 or 4 weeks until the motor croaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts