Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Great story Jason! Yea, a good set of tools is worth it's weight in gold. Don't cheap out either on the important stuff. All my regular tools are Craftsman brand. They're a bit old (about 15 years! WOW time flies) so I don't know what Craftsman is like today but Napa or Snap On have some good stuff. Like you see with my tools, a good tool set will last a long time.

I still want to know how you got the battery in without being able to completely take your fender off!?

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Fuses first, then your fan assembly. To check the fan, get the car up to operating temps then let it idle. If it comes up over 200, you should have your fan kick on. If it doesn't, then the fan is not functioning properly.

The other possibility is a frozen or stuck thermostat...but it would seem odd to me it would stick up to 250 and only start flowing again once you started moving.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
I'm with Yogi here, that sounds like a Tstat issue. IF I'm looking at the assembly correctly, when the thermostat is closed water isn't flowing to the heater core (which would make sense because you want the water to heat up to operating temps with the engine before you start taking heat away from it in the heater core). So if temps start rising and your heater stops working, it would seem to make sense that the thermostat has closed, gotten stuck and you have drawn all the heat out of the motionless water in the heater core.

Change out the thermostat (not expensive but not exactly easy either) and see what happens then.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
The part that makes this hard is where the thermostat is located in relation to the other parts in the engine bay. It's on the back side of the engine on the passenger side. I didn't change mine when I did the turbo so I'm not sure what's the best way to access it.

I'm sure removing the windshield trim that sits over the engine bay will help a ton. So would dropping the cat as it would give you a bit more room back there however with the window trim gone you may be able to come down on top of it okay. I'm sure others here will have more input.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
stungjoe has a point but at the same point in time, it's a lot more work, even from there, to get the water pump out. Unless he can do it with everything in place like some have, he would need to drop the exhaust, drop the cat, pull the turbo, possibly pull the manifold and then get out the thermostat housing, water line, and finally the pump. There would be no need to take off the windshield trim if you went this route.

As opposed to removing the windshield trim, possibly dropping the exhaust and cat, removing the heater lines, and then removing the thermostat cover rather than the entire housing.

Getting to the water pump is a FAR bigger chore than the thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
TexSon, I still would try and troubleshoot the stock system. If the fan isn't running when it should, there's a problem somewhere in the system. I suspect, if the module didn't fix it and fuses are good, that there is a wire broken somewhere near a plug or a plug itself is bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
When you did the jumpers, did you disconnect the plug and alligator clip right to the pins or send power through the plug some other way further upstream in the harness? Just trying to get a good visual...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts