Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For the last month or so I've had issues with loss of power, loss of acceleration, stumbling/rough running cruising on the highway. I've had it in to check for codes but none to be found. I should say that this has happened off and on for these couple of months. Then a week or so ago I had the check engine light stay on after a start up and it ran the same way. After some driving off and on that day it finally went off. Thing is the issues have become more frequent so I purchased a code reader and hooked it up yesterday and code P0236 came up.....which is "Turbo/Supercharger boost sensor A circuit range/performance." I dropped by the dealer today after work but by the time they got to it and done some searching they run out of time and it was too late to call tech support. I'm taking it back next Tuesday so they have more time to find the issue.

My question is....has anyone thrown this code and if so what was the fix? Maybe I can help the tech out and give him a head start on it. Guy said they never seen that code so.......

Rusty

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have it now. For me it is not consistent enough for them figure out whats wrong. The one time I got to the dealer with it acting up on of the MAP sensors was reading 12psi at idle but that wasnt enough to do anything about and they were closing. They say they cant do anything unless its acting up but I cant figure out away to make it happen so they can trouble shoot. It is VERY annoying. Oh by the way, I am having the "Everything else GM" dealer look at it because the SATURN dealer is ****ty and says I installed an aftermarket modification to the car so they wont touch it (by aftermarket modification they mean the GMPP tune)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have it now. For me it is not consistent enough for them figure out whats wrong. The one time I got to the dealer with it acting up on of the MAP sensors was reading 12psi at idle but that wasnt enough to do anything about and they were closing. They say they cant do anything unless its acting up but I cant figure out away to make it happen so they can trouble shoot. It is VERY annoying. Oh by the way, I am having the "Everything else GM" dealer look at it because the SATURN dealer is ****ty and says I installed an aftermarket modification to the car so they wont touch it (by aftermarket modification they mean the GMPP tune)
That's precisely what my dealer told me. Even though my "aftermarket modifications" worked just fine for two years before they started messing with it... Glad it's not just me. :/

·
Registered
920 Posts
The GMPP tune is not an aftermarket modification - it comes straight from GM (that's the GM in GMPP :banghead:), and can only be installed by GM technicians. It does not void your warranty.

-GT

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks! I've got some places to start looking myself now :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I had that same code appearing every 3-5 weeks starting about 5 months after the GMPP tune.
In my case, it turned out to be the splicing of the wires for the new 3bar bosh sensors.
I cut the butt connectors out, soldered the wires. heat shrink wrapped them, then electrical tape wrapped them and the problem is now gone.

I was having all of the exact same symptoms as you guys.
A second person with similar problems re-wired his, problem gone as well.

Those Butt connectors are not maintaining a consistent electrical connection. Get rid of them.

HTH

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had that same code appearing every 3-5 weeks starting about 5 months after the GMPP tune.
In my case, it turned out to be the splicing of the wires for the new 3bar bosh sensors.
I cut the butt connectors out, soldered the wires. heat shrink wrapped them, then electrical tape wrapped them and the problem is now gone.

I was having all of the exact same symptoms as you guys.
A second person with similar problems re-wired his, problem gone as well.

Those Butt connectors are not maintaining a consistent electrical connection. Get rid of them.

HTH
This is what I suggested to the tech today and that's exactly what he did, so.......we'll see if this cures the problem.....:thumbs:

Thanks
Rusty

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is what I suggested to the tech today and that's exactly what he did, so.......we'll see if this cures the problem.....:thumbs:

Thanks
Rusty
i suggested the same to mine and they said they wont try anything without having the car for a few days with it acting up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had similar problems after my GMPP tune install, limp mode and rough idles. These codes seem to clear themselves sometime and only once did I get a check engine light. I got the P0236 and sometimes the P0106. After many attempts to fix, they replaced the sensor and the connector to it. That fixed the issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wtf?

How is that gonna happen if it happens so off and on? :banghead: My tech said since it was doing that that it sounded like a electrical issue so he did it. Said if it didn't fix it then he'd have to look further. Running strong and smooth so far! :thumbs:

Hopefully your new shop will at least try it..:)

Rusty

·
Registered
260 Posts
How is that gonna happen if it happens so off and on? :banghead: My tech said since it was doing that that it sounded like a electrical issue so he did it. Said if it didn't fix it then he'd have to look further. Running strong and smooth so far! :thumbs:

Hopefully your new shop will at least try it..:)

Rusty

lol that WAS the new shop. The Saturn dealership wouldn't touch it at all ever.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good grief man! Just not right ya know. :nono: Hope you can get someone to cooperate.

Rusty

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
lol that WAS the new shop. The Saturn dealership wouldn't touch it at all ever.
There are many links on here about it being a fully warranted item. Someone may even have the video from the factory tour where the head of Saturn Engineering himself stated it was fully warranted.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
There are many links on here about it being a fully warranted item. Someone may even have the video from the factory tour where the head of Saturn Engineering himself stated it was fully warranted.
Yes but the warranty is the GMPP warranty which, I've been told, is only 12 mo./12k mi.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
The warranty of the GMPP is detailed in the paperwork you received with the kit
It is 12 month/ 12k Miles
or
the balance of your factory warranty with the key part being
which ever is LONGER.

So if you got the GMPP with 1 mile on the car, you have
35,999 more miles of it being under warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI- My vehicle lost acceleration power and threw a P0236. My husband bought the repair manuals and checked all the hoses. It turned out we had some loose clamps on the hoses, and especially by the throttle body. He tightned all the hoses, and it accelerates great again, engine light went off by itself. We had a similar problem (3000 miles ago) but it had a P0106 code??? Again that time he tightened the clamps on the hoses. I guess we'll just have to check the clamps every so many miles... :/

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
FYI- My vehicle lost acceleration power and threw a P0236. My husband bought the repair manuals and checked all the hoses. It turned out we had some loose clamps on the hoses, and especially by the throttle body. He tightned all the hoses, and it accelerates great again, engine light went off by itself. We had a similar problem (3000 miles ago) but it had a P0106 code??? Again that time he tightened the clamps on the hoses. I guess we'll just have to check the clamps every so many miles... :/
The worm screw stock clamps are a weak spot on the intake system with the GMPP tune. You should consider replacing those with some stronger T-bolt clamps. You can get the kit from DDM or just go to NAPA and buy the individual clamps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.