Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P0243
Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid Control Circuit

i have no boost..would work and lose boost and come back again for sometime then nothing, removed the turbo and sent it for repair, new seals,cleaned and found some play on the shaft.all that got fixed. Where is the Wastegate Solenoid Control Solenoid so i can check it out, pic? if its easy i'll just swap it to test w/ the gxp..
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Thanks,
I have started a book on codes and fix.
That way when someone needs help I can.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switched that part out and same issue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

Have you had any luck on this? I've got the same issue now. Started because of a pretty nasty leak in the IC, but that has been repaired now, and it's still setting P0243 (and no boost). It's been running great @23PSI for years - I'm afraid I've fried something now..:/

I signed up here just to ask this - Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Okay let's cover the simple stuff first.

Did you check the fuses just to make sure none are blown? Not sure what fuse this is tied to but I'm sure it'll be on one of the circuits.

Second, check for any damage or leaks along the vac lines that feed the solenoid. Make sure they are good and have no cracks.

Third, check the plug into the solenoid. Make sure it has no corrosion or damage to it. Be sure it is firmly plugged in after you take it off to check for corrosion.

Fourth, check or replace the solenoid if everything else fails.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Found this on KP forum. Turned out to be a cable connecter issue. One of the pins was out of place

This is an electrical code, not mechanical nor fuel related.

Check the connections and wiring to the TC wastegate actuator solenoid valve. Cycle the connector once, while open look for signs of damaged terminals or poor electrical contact. If this is the only issue the power source is probably good. Check wiring, connections and if you're certain they are good there are two components, the solenoid and the ECM.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Quote from: scanner on May 15, 2011, 07:47:36 PM
This is an electrical code, not mechanical nor fuel related.

Check the connections and wiring to the TC wastegate actuator solenoid valve. Cycle the connector once, while open look for signs of damaged terminals or poor electrical contact. If this is the only issue the power source is probably good. Check wiring, connections and if you're certain they are good there are two components, the solenoid and the ECM.

Clear Skies!

I am reviving this thread to bring attention to this problem and what I believe based on the quote from Scanner above to be the problem.
Notice Scanner put the emphasis on been an electrical issue.
Well I got the code again yesterday and decided to look closely at the connection on the solenoid.
This proved to be the correct place to look, since upon inspection of the connector, I noticed one of the female pins was rather low compare to the other one.
There are only 2 wires and the yellow one's had slipped down where it was causing an intermittent connection. There is a blue piece that serves as a stop, so the wire does not come off the bottom of the connector. However in my case the blue stop piece was out. I then pushed on this blue piece and the yellow wire at the same time and it went back in, now is at the same level as the other wire.
I am of the believe that in most cases, anyone having this P0243 code is because one of these 2 wires is no longer making a good connection, thus making the solenoid to behave erratically.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Who says this forum doesn't have any new information?
Even though this is an old thread, it has some good current info!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I echo the good find comment! Well done ole Chap! None of the first time posters actually commented back, shame, I hope that Naus gives feed back, it closes the loop!:cheers:

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK i think i may have finally resolved the issue. In my case i couldn't find any electrical problems, shorts, fuses, boost leak, or otherwise.

I simply sprayed contact cleaner spray on my ECU connections, and then applied dielectric grease on each of the terminals. Boosting like a champ again... for now. :thumbs:

·
Registered
107 Posts
After further review my issue still exists. 105k miles on my turbo i'm buying a new one, i'm pretty sure it's shot. Going with OEM LNF turbo assembly from ZZPerformance as daily driver car.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Naus, sorry that didn't fix your problem but if you're getting the P0243 error I doubt it's in the turbo specifically. Look at the OPs first post in this thread. His turbo was freshly rebuilt so that would have removed a worn out turbo from the equation.

I really believe if you go with a new K04 snail that you're going to find yourself a few hundred dollars poorer but with the same issue.

I would suggest looking at the plug going to the control solenoid. If your wires are damaged or broken inside the insulation you could get issues like this. The fact that after you treaded the terminals everything seemed okay tells me it is more likely still an electrical problem than a mechanical one in the turbo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What is the expected lifespan of an LNF turbo? mine is from 2007 with 105k miles on it. My oil seals are failing, the way i drive i think 105k miles is a good service life. New turbo was only $589 for a nother 100k miles of fun! Even if i still have the issue afterwards, it won't be money wasted.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts