Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you look at your picture you're going to see a vacuum line there on the inlet of the turbo on the right hand side of the picture. Follow that vacuum line. It leads to the wastegate solenoid that we're talking about here.

Here is a picture of the turbo and you can see where that vac line is in your picture here and where it leads to the solenoid. Looks like the plug faces downward.

Thanks, I didn't think my post actually submitted. But I did find it and while trying to get it off I actually heard/felt it "click" into place. I did a quick test drive around the block and boost is back. I hope that is all it takes but I'll need to do some more testing when I have time.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
Thanks, I didn't think my post actually submitted. But I did find it and while trying to get it off I actually heard/felt it "click" into place. I did a quick test drive around the block and boost is back. I hope that is all it takes but I'll need to do some more testing when I have time.
If it was loose I can almost promise you that was the issue. Of course, that does beg the question how did it get loose?

·
Super Moderator
5,270 Posts
If it was loose I can almost promise you that was the issue. Of course, that does beg the question how did it get loose?
The last time it was connected (and that could have been at the assembly plant) the retainer was not latched, and it has taken until now to separate enough to lose contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reviving this thread! Help needed!

I had my heat shield welded and now I only build 1 psi of boost and have the p0243 and p0299 codes.

A month ago I had the p0243, and solved it by replacing the wastegate solenoid connector with a new one.

I’ve tried re soldering the connector and installing a new gm solenoid (part #12633355).

Is this the right part? It had a different mounting bracket.

The turbo nut is on and the turbo blade spins freely. The wastegate rod goes in and out effortlessly. Never has any resistance.

I’ve also checked engine bay fuse box (anything else I should check?) for any blown fuses and moved around relays that were that same to no avail.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciate, as other than having no more than 1psi boost at WOT the car idles perfectly and has no other issues or error codes.

I’m at a loss and the shops around me don’t seem to want to work on the car :/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
You have a leak somewhere and here is why I say that.

P0243 is your solenoid and I'm not sure why you are getting that one...though I have an idea.

P0299 is an underboost condition. 1 psi I certainly that.

HOWEVER, if your solenoid dies it defaults open and now you are running off your wastegate actuator spring pressure. That spring pressure generates 5-6 psi of boost. Thus 1 psi of boost is less than what your mechanically regulated pressure should be even if the solenoid is shot.

Your pressure reading though is not measured at the turbo. It is measured at the intake manifold. Thus I'm thinking the boost leak is most probable and is somewhere between the turbo outlet and the head. So we're talking all your charge pipe connectors, the sensors in the charge pipes and intake, the intercooler, the throttle body, and the intake itself...in order of likelihood of a leak.

You may find a leak and still get these same codes after fixing it, but your boost should be between 5-6 psi, not 1 psi and then you continue troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
11,186 Posts
@Robotech : What would happen if the Compressor Bypass got stuck open?
If it is stock, it would be highly unlikely to get stuck open...

...however it could get a tear in it and would cause the same issues as though it were stuck open. It is just a simple rubber bladder with a spring behind it. Not sure what would happen if you recirculated the entire charge through the bypass but it would definitely cause a boost loss.

I haven't heard of that being a common issue but it's three bolts and easily accessed so would be something to check. You would need to carefully inspect the bladder so as not to damage it while looking for what could be a very small rip in the rubber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked all the pipes and clamps and everything looks good.

I’m wondering if it’s the map sensor on the charge pipe. I would get an error though right (maybe I need a professional scan tool)?

Also, my intercooler is ballooned up (I had noticed a few months ago though).

This issue happened right after some welding work, so I feel like the issues probably something electronic?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took the car to a local mechanic and he diagnosed my issue to be a bad waste gate actuator.

The waste gate actuator rod moves feely extremely easily and never holds any pressure. It shouldn't be able to do that right? He says it should always be closed (rod pushed out and be hard to push in) and only open when the solenoid pulls it in to open.

I'm having trouble finding the part number and vender. Anyone got it?

I found this on ebay, is this the right part?

Also, we checked for leaks everywhere, and couldn't find any. Also, the waste gate solenoid is getting power, so I don't think it's a connector issue.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts