Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been on here for a bit, and havent really seen this question answered, but going back to prior experiences, is there any concerns with the amount of time since the car was painted til you really want to be aggressive in cleaning and waxing? I know in the past I had concerns over paint curing and hardening times, and with the discussions over claying and types of waxes and cleaners....

This is also because, past new cars have a setting time between dealers, lots, and manufactures holding.. with the skys, its a matter of days not weeks or months...

So... any opinions?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If the Sky is assembled like the corvettes all the panels are painted before the car is even a chassis. So they pull the correct color panels for the order as the Chassis is rolling down the line. The panels are installed on the chassis as the car rolls along so its hard to say how long the paint is on those panels before they are installed on the car, and then it sits at the plant, loaded on a car hauler, arrives at your local dealer. All GM cars have the clear coat on them so when you polish your polishing the clear coat. Just my observation from seeing the GM plant in Bowling Green, KY.

TulsaSly

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I was pretty sure of the assembly process (used to work for Fords) but still have the concern over the cure time or hardness time of the clear coat. One painter told me that there is a time which it takes for paint and./or clear coast to hardened.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was always told to give a car 30 days before waxing to be safe.

Check the drivers door for the month your car was assembled.
Mine was assembled in March 06 and I took delivery in June.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pictures of assembly date

DSC00039.JPG DSC00040.JPG

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That sounds reasonable our corvette was built the last week of October, first day was Halloween so its named Pumpkin, since its orange. Anyhoo we did not pick up the car until November 28th, approx. 30 days.

TulsaSky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts