Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been studying the idea recently of painting my engine and fuse box cover as have many of our friends on here…
My first attempts with taping off sections for different colors met with only some success as the paint bled under the tape edges even when I used the best tape I could find…
I implemented some other ideas and think I came up with some good results. Attached are some before and after pics. Comments are welcomed, even if you don’t like it because when it comes down to it we own our cars and if we like it that’s all that matters! If you ever posted any pictures of your under-hood work I thank you because I probably saw them after doing MANY searches for ideas!

View attachment 119751
View attachment 119754
View attachment 119756
View attachment 119757
View attachment 119755
View attachment 119753
View attachment 119752

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks nice, for future reference use 3M Professional Automotive Masking Tape, green color. Apply and press edges with a plastic putty knife. It gives a very clean edge. It comes in various widths. Pricey but well worth it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cool. (y) That silver & maroon seem to go together really well.
Especially like the gauge-looking, different length stripes above the ECOTEC lettering.

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, Intercooler, CAT delete & ECM Tune. DIY tunnel brace. ProBeam.
234 Posts
One of the nicer ones I’ve seen. I like it a lot!

·
Registered
32 Posts
here is the cover on my Solstice

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first attempts with taping off sections for different colors met with only some success as the paint bled under the tape edges even when I used the best tape I could find…
I implemented some other ideas and think I came up with some good results. Attached are some before and after pics.
Great job! Could you share what worked with the rest of us and exactly how you masked and cut (or a link to whatever instructions you used)? Thanks, and again, great job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great job! Could you share what worked with the rest of us and exactly how you masked and cut (or a link to whatever instructions you used)? Thanks, and again, great job!
Thanks for your kind words, I do like the way it came out.
I used the duplicolor metal cast rattle can paints for the job. The silver color is their metalcast base coat and the red metal cast over that. Follow the instructions on the cans and you’ll be fine. As for masking sections off, this is where I had difficulty. I used “frog tape” and still had some bleed of red color under the tape edge. The Ecotec letters came out well though, I think because they were raised and I was taping off the lower silver base sections. Realizing taping was not going to work very well, I decided to use plexiglass pieces that I was able to cut to size, sand and then use the metal cast system to paint those pieces which I then used epoxy to glue in place. The red thin lines under the ecotec letters are actually 1/8” plexiglass rods I got on Amazon and the red gauge-like pieces are cut from 1/16” thick plexiglass sheet from Amazon also.
For the fuse box cover I cut a piece of the plexiglass sheet to paint and then epoxied the Sky logo (purchased from an EBay seller) on that which I epoxied on the cover. The thin red outlines are the same plexiglass rod mentioned above which I hit with a heat gun to bend into the corners, painted , then glued on.

Hope that makes sense!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts