Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the dealer demo cars in KC area I have seen have the chrome wheels. Has anyone seen the painted wheels? I like the wheels shown in the Saturn brochure, they don't appear to be chrome. I was assuming they were painted, but could they be polished? I own a Maxima Anniversary edition and it has the polished alum wheels, which I really like. Does anyone know if painted wheels could be converted to polished? Or is Saturn possibly going to make polished wheels available for the Sky? Any feed back would be appreciated.

Silver Pearl
Red/Black Leather
6 disc CD/Moonson
Deposit 3/24
Delivery ????

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have seen the painted wheels and find them quite attractive and I ordered my Sky with painted wheels, but it is personal taste decision for each individual. They match the color of the windshield frame. I believe that polished wheels are an option now being offered as well as the chrome wheels.

·
Registered
176 Posts
the few cars i have seen with the painted wheels look a little flat.or dull. they don`t pop when you see the car.if you dnn`t like the chrome,go for the polished..

·
Registered
802 Posts
glock919 said:
the few cars i have seen with the painted wheels look a little flat.or dull. they don`t pop when you see the car.if you dnn`t like the chrome,go for the polished..
Or go aftermarket.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Look at my thread Sky meets TR6. They both have painted wheels.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I changed from chrome to painted. I felt that the polished look - or the chrome introduced a new finish where there is hardly any -- Chrome - or shiny surface. The only chrome on the side of a SKY is the door handle. I was given the choice and the painted would let me order early -- but when I was called I was toying with changing my order already. The painted is a matching paint to the windshield trim - the back of seat aerofairings and the center console. This then seemed to match rather than conflict. I like the look and feel the spokes make the wheel pop not the finish. In the future, however I am toying with having the wheels painted to match the body color...
For me – and I like a certain amount of chrome, with the yellow – the painted looked better.
:D

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
In the future, however I am toying with having the wheels painted to match the body color...
For me – and I like a certain amount of chrome, with the yellow – the painted looked better.
:D

Rick I love Yellow but I'm not to sure about Yellow wheels???:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
RMFNSKY said:
Rick I love Yellow but I'm not to sure about Yellow wheels???:eek:
Thanks for the look .... Really, if you look at only the thumbnail (less detail) it looks pretty good -- but when you enlarge it -- it does not look as good -- but mostly because the color is just "there" it doesn't have the detail of a paint job, detailing the edges and curves -- the paint shop job is too flat.
The main thing is I don't have to do that... Another reason why I took painted...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Thanks for the look .... Really, if you look at only the thumbnail (less detail) it looks pretty good -- but when you enlarge it -- it does not look as good -- but mostly because the color is just "there" it doesn't have the detail of a paint job, detailing the edges and curves -- the paint shop job is too flat.
The main thing is I don't have to do that... Another reason why I took painted...

Yea I know the PS is bad but I was just trying to get a idea of yellow wheels.

Now Yellow Calipers!!!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
RMFNSKY said:
Yea I know the PS is bad but I was just trying to get a idea of yellow wheels.

Now Yellow Calipers!!!!
Heheh -- The yellow calipers are a done deal....

The more I look at your work though the more I agree the yellow wheels would get old -- fast...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same thing happened with me Rick. Rather than wait I went with the painted rims. I can always go to an after market rim when my tires require replacement but I couldn't see waiting for Rims. They just don't make that much of a difference to me. Also saved the money for them. I expect to have my Sky in Two to Four Weeks. I also think that they will will super with my pearl silver paint job.
Jayne

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I ordered the painted, felt the chrome might be too much bling. But if I feel the need to upgrade, I will pull them and take them to a chrome shop - cheaper than buying new! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went with the painted due to the backlog on the chrome. Fastfreddie - I, too, am in KC! Went out to Saturn of Olathe and test drove on Saturday. LOVED
the car! What a baby!

Black Onyx
Black & Tan Premium
Spoiler
Manual

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Skylar,

I drove the same car, the gray metallic. I am wanting to go back for another spin, probably just to see what it is like with the top up and to better test out the sound system. Out of curiosity did they tell you were you stood on the list? I placed my deposit on 3/24 and they have indicated I am 10th on the list that combines all deposits and orders from all three dealerships. At Saturn of Olathe they said I was 3rd. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Saturn of Olathe

Freddie - That's the one I drove. Loved it. Not so much with the top up, though. It is very boxy but still okay - reminded me of the miata a lot. Why in the world did they put the window/mirror switches where they did?! That is my only real gripe about the car - and the passenger drink holder location. My husband kept hitting that with his leg and popped open time and again. I was prepared for the non-existent trunk and don't mind in the least - you can always put it up if you need to put something in there. Didn't think much of the upgrade in sound system. Decided not to upgrade after trying it out. I'll upgrade after I get it. People virtually stopped on the road to check us out when we pulled over to play with the sound system.

No, they didn't give me the exact line on where I am as several people ahead had the yellow paint, chrome wheels, and the auto. All three of these I guess are pushing them back. Not sure if you have any of these or not but if so you'll wait a while longer or change your order. Rep said that the chrome wheels may take quite a long time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just FYI (b/c I don't think anyone actually answered your question), the pics in the brochure are the painted wheels. The polished wheels weren't available as an option at that point in time. I've mentioned elsewhere that I've seen the painted in person and I loved them. I think they really pull the car together with all the colors b/c they match the window frame and other appointments on the car. Just my opinion really, but I like it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Me too Rick!

Rick, I too was thinking about body coloring a set of painted rims to switch off between the chrome from time to time. Just the other day I was contemplating getting a painted set (I'm sure they'll be available soon somewhere) and having them painted Silver Graphite to match the exterior color I choose. This of course would mean buying another set of tires and the tedious task of changing out the rims (however, I think I'm too lazy to do that!). But in my opionion I think it would make the car stand out. Oh and I agree with you too skl8260 that black rims are cool looking. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts