1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am with you on that! I think the calipers would look great in Red on our cars SC2. I have already purchased a can of caliper paint (Red Glossy) from Advance Auto (like $6-$8) and plan to do them but haven't had the time yet. I got the idea because one of my friends just bought the same can and did his calipers on his RX8.

Check it out see what you guys think:
Painted Caliper 1
Painted Caliper 2
Painted Caliper 3
Painted Caliper 4

·
Registered
474 Posts
Painting calipers - steps and product used

tiger20005 your calipers look great! :thumbs:

I used DupliColor paint-on for my calipers....$15.95 a kit.

I have a friend that has a garage with lift (lucky me :D)...

--put the car up on the lift...took all four wheels off.

--Removed calipers from rotor (but left attached to lines).

--Throughly clean caliper with brake cleaner and wire brush. (did not use cleaner provided with kit)

-- Apply paint to caliper per instructions (after all 4 are painted and after about 45 min to an hour, go back and apply 2nd coat)

-- allow paint to *cure* for 24 hours before re-assembly and/or driving car.

pics of my calipers

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
VERY nice KappaFan! Actually I have not done mine yet that was pics from a buddy of mine that did them on his RX8. I plan to do mine VERY soon and will be sure to post pics. As you can tell from soem of the other things I did I am not too scared to dive in and take on a project even if it can mean failure because after 12 years in IT I have discovered anything can be fixed (fro the right price) LOL! Good job love them btw... :cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh 4got to mention what we need now are small SKY stickers to put ont he brake calipers sicne the calipers will show with the large wheels. That would be a nice add-on, Red calipers with black or white SKY stickers on them.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tiger20005 said:
Oh 4got to mention what we need now are small SKY stickers to put ont he brake calipers sicne the calipers will show with the large wheels. That would be a nice add-on, Red calipers with black or white SKY stickers on them.
YES -- the stickers ara a definate must!

I say white stickers and just to add to the "thats right-- it IS!" I may get "S A T U R N" rather than "S K Y" put on there.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
have you guys seen any silver sol/skys with painted calipers. I'm not sure what color will look good on silver pearl. red? blue? I don't want to use black, to boring

·
Registered
251 Posts
Silver Pearl is definite slated for RED, but that is my 100% honest opinion! Yeah, I debated black as well but way too boring and no one would even see it to tell you the truth. I wanted to keep my car as dark looking as possible! I tell you as soon as Brembo makes cross drilled rotors I am changing mine out bc the rotors look WAY too small for this car, as well as boring (even though they are standard size and the wheels are what makes them look small).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
thanks for the opinion on the red calipers... I was kinda leaning that way myself.

don't know if you already have a source but some of the sol guys got their decals from here---
http://www.vinzdecals.com/createcaliper.html

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I will leave mine silver to match the Silver trim on the car, but i would love some Dark Blue Sky stickers to put on them....

·
Registered
251 Posts
WOW Kappa that is beautiful and you have same color car as me so now I can't wait to get that done! Thx for the pic...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
After much thought (red or yellow) I decided upon Yellow...

·
Registered
325 Posts
There's way too many civics running around with painted drums on the back wheels to justify painting your calipers.

Why not polish the calipers instead? It would take a full Saturday but the results are well worth it:

Thanks Brandon!
How to site here:
http://formula.bambeezer.com/calipers.htm

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wow...those polished calipers look really nice too!

But remember that often Porsche calipers are painted as are many BMW, Mercedes, and Corvettes.

Not that I am comparing my car or the Sky to these cars but lets not say just because there are Civic's with painted *rotors* that is why Sol/Sky owners are painting their calipers.

And I would not compare the Sol/Sky to a Honda Civic - :lol: Painted calipers or not!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Painting your stock calipers with a spray can is fine but it's not like you all of the sudden have Brembos.

If you like it do it but I'll probably end up doing polished calipers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I totally agree but it will give it a nice added look and some additional eye candy for people to see. I will do this to mine until the Brembos become available as well as the crossed drilled rotors (I like the rotors for my car that look dark gray because the stock ones are too shiny for my taste and car color).

I am not a huge fan of polished, yet, but I am sure it will get some takers here!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wouldn't do it personnaly but if you guys want to then great! It can look good although I would prefer a good powder coating.

You see, If I did it here I would eventually run into a Dodge minivan or a sweet Duster that was sporting the exact same color on the rear drums. Here in Salt Lake it would only last a year anyway with the salt and snow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts