Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight i parked my Sky next to a red Solstice at a cruise in, people swarmed all over my car, even before i parked i must have had 10 or 20 people surrounding me....
well one guy said he had his Solstice there and if i woud park he would come park beside me... so we did and then we sat back and listened to the people that came around. ok this is unscientific, but listening to the people on their preference to the cars it was 100 percent for the Sky over the Solstice, heck even the guy with the Solstice liked mine better....:thumbs: :thumbs:
here are a couple pictures i took
PS, I got a letter form the State of Tennesse today, My request for my Personalized tag was approved, I will have NITESKY on my car in about a month:)

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Skys are just better looking, everybody knows that. Some just dont want to admit it because they own the solstice. I've talked to a lot of people that have seen both and ALL of them like the sky better. The solstice is a cute car and maybe in the future peoples tastes in cars will lean that way, but not today.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marlboromike said:
I don't understand why people bought solstices...when all they had to do was wait a few months....everyone loves the SKY...
one thing i didn;t say was a man and woman pulled up next to me at a stoplight in a NEW blue MX-5 Miata, he said he liked my car better than his too..... so did the woman... :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
What part of TN are you from?

I'm from TN as well!

·
Registered
517 Posts
i saw a sky on 288. i won't say whose cause i might get accused of harrassment again, but i liked it better than my rabbit! the sky is definitely cuter.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clgutk12 said:
What part of TN are you from?

I'm from TN as well!
North east corner, thr tri cities, Kingsport, Bristol and Johnson City...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Awesome!

Here in the Central Valley of California, where envy/rudeness reign supreme, I've had people tell me to get "that P.O.S off the road or buy a REAL car!" :eek: So, I just smile, nod, and continued to drive next to them (two guys in their mid 20's driving a '06 Stang GT Convertible) until the light and get this, I actually took off and got infront of 'em... those boys can't drive their automatic car properly I guess!

P.S. Most people do like my car! ( not that it matters)

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Sky has much more modern and meaner look to it. But, if there was no Sky I would get a Solstice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Magna Sky said:
Here in the Central Valley of California, where envy/rudeness reign supreme, I've had people tell me to get "that P.O.S off the road or buy a REAL car!" :eek: So, I just smile, nod, and continued to drive next to them (two guys in their mid 20's driving a '06 Stang GT Convertible) until the light and get this, I actually took off and got infront of 'em... those boys can't drive their automatic car properly I guess!

)
you showed them!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
marlboromike said:
I don't understand why people bought solstices...when all they had to do was wait a few months....everyone loves the SKY...
Dude, get your fricken head on straight. Maybe shake the rocks out.
The Solstice was the original Kappa car. ORIGINAL. It is either you hate it or love it.

Personally, I dont like the sky just becuase it looks way too chizzled and looks like it is smiling at you. I dont like my cars smiling at me, i would rather be smiling at them.

So seriously man,even though you have the right to free speech, clearly you dont like it, but it doesnt give you the right to be bad mouthing it and trying to have the voice of "god."

So just chill.

·
Registered
63 Posts
HotSky said:
Skys are just better looking, everybody knows that. Some just dont want to admit it because they own the solstice. I've talked to a lot of people that have seen both and ALL of them like the sky better. The solstice is a cute car and maybe in the future peoples tastes in cars will lean that way, but not today.

Who is 'everybody'? If you mean everybody on this board then sure, a small cross section works just fine. If you mean everybody that you see or run into, again, a small cross section. I run into people almost every day that stop and ask me about the car and what it is. I also go on to tell them to look out for the Sky and tell them that it the same but different. Both cool cars.

It's a shame to see people on this board acting like some of the people have acted over on the Solstice board. Both cars are beyond the scope that GM has done in many many years and it puts a smack in the face against the people in this country to wake up. They are both decent cars but in the end they are the SAME CAR!!! Beauty is only skin deep right?

We all love our cars and will always think that ours is better because or reason "x". Bully for us. What is the point of bashing the other family member because of his or her choice? After you get tired of this issue, how long before you start bashing each other over color choice? It WILL happen, it's just a matter of time.
Neither you or your car is better than me and my car. I picked the Solstice. So what. Had the Sky come out first I would have gone for that instead. I can see the good and bad in both cars. Why can't any of you?

Try something new. Stand together and help each other. If you want to compare something....compare these GM kids to others like BMW or Mazda. No point in picking on each other.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dylan01 said:
The Solstice was the original Kappa car. ORIGINAL. It is either you hate it or love it.
I vote for hate

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Well, I'm in the minority here, but my personal preference is for the Solstice, interiorally, exteriorally :)lol: - get it? Chris from "the Apprentice"...). No offense. I also prefer my coffee black, I love 70% cacao dark chocolate...

Personal preference is personal preference. I expect that the SKY "shows" better and appeals to the "show" crowd better, so not surprised, SkyMan_07, at your findings.

I was surprised several months ago, though, when I had a guy pull up to me while I was test driving a Sosltice - and started yelling questions at me about the car while on the highway at 65 miles per hour...

I get about the same number of head turns in either car (yes, I've been afforded the opportunity to test drive a SKY too).

There are elements I like about one or the other car - the glossy black SKY center stack interior is a bit distracting at times (solar reflections) and collects visible dust. I really like the maroon leather, though.

I like the vents better in the Solstice, the basic layout is neat, but then the dimmer switch and hazard seem to be total, randomly placed afterthoughts. These controls aren't the best placement in the Sky.

Love the Solstice passenger handle in the console - it could be placed a bit better but it is neat. The window switches in the SKY seem a bit further back than the Sol - maybe it's my imagination.

I don't like non-functional eye-candy - the fake hood and side vents are definitely not my preference.

I guess it sums to this - for ME (MY opinion, not any of yours, and I'm not looking for validation or to start a fight), if I had gone to the 2002 North American Auto Show and seen the SKY or Vauxhall VX, I would have looked at it, noted it as neat and cool looking, and moved on. It would not have grabbed ME. I don't recall any of the other cars that were in contention for "best of show" that year, but I sure as shootin' remember the Solstice...

...I remember saying to myself "remember, you see cars much of your career, you're above being attracted by a particular style"... I don't know what it is, but the car was noteable that year, and stuck in my memory. I was not at all surprised when it was announced the best show car that year.

I read the liteature from it, discarded the marketing/designer speak (the top operates with one hand... this car could be built from the delta platform... :rolleyes: ) and said to myself, "if GM realizes they don't have a platform for this car, and gets to work on a new one, then they could actually build this one. They did it with the SSR, they could do it again..."

Point is - the SKY/VX style would have turned my head, but would also have been lost in the sea of other styled cars. The Solstice really clicked something in my brain.

So, this is the reason that these two polarizing designs are so brilliant - I don't know if GM did it on purpose or stumbled onto it by accident, but they have or are starting to realize how important "purity of design" is. They provided to radically different LOOKING cars, and in the end have captured more of the market than either design could have done on their own.

Personally, I'll prolly end up with a GXP, and maybe none of the kappas if the Solstice weren't available. There are people that would never buy a Solstice, and absolutely love the SKY. There aren't that many "cross shopping" the two... doesn't anyone else find that interesting? Nearly everyone likes one or the other - given either choice with all the same options and the same cost, the decision to by ONE OF THE KAPPAS is easy.

I also think that both cars are different enough to expand the roadster market.

So, I'm with tweety - realize that you can't dis one car without dissing the other. All you can say is your OPINION - arguing one is better than the other is like arguing whether Italian cuisine is better than Chinese or Mexican cuisine...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Try something new. Stand together and help each other. If you want to compare something....compare these GM kids to others like BMW or Mazda. No point in picking on each other.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:[/QUOTE]

So bashing the BMWs and Mazdas won't bother anyone on this forum ...mmmmmm....Not.:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
Dylan01 said:
From what I saw of his post, it was sarcasm... don't get too worried on the thoughts of SKY Fans. We like our SKY's... you like your Sol's... no biggie.

As for what came first, the chicken or the egg... sure, the Solstice was built first at the plant... but here is a fact...

"The Pontiac Solstice was received very well at the 2002 NAIAS. The drivable roadster concept car shown had been cobbled together from many different components, using a heavily modified portion of the Delta. The thinking was that this architecture might be heavily modified and used to produce the Solstice in the near future."

So, there is the Delta platform when it was originally introduced... which is also the same time the Saturn SKY was originally introduced, also on a different platform... albeit a bad attempt.

When they then moved the Solstice to the Kappa platform... they were probably also thinking about the Saturn as well... it was just they had to rethink the design, while the Solstice was already a hit.

Remember, our comments are opinions... just as yours are. What is the truth??? What we believe for ourselves and what is best for us.

·
Registered
517 Posts
KappaMan said:
Well, I'm in the minority here, but my personal preference is for the Solstice, ...
so why are you an administrator on a SKY forum?:confused:

something doesn't seem right here.............:nono:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Gee What did i start here, I didn't mean to cause such an uproar, I just stated the fact that of what happened when we parked a Sky and solstice side by side at a Cruise in and then both stepped back and listened to comments, that is all and I reported what I heard. Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion. so far I have not heard one negative opinion of the Sky... in fact I didn't hear anything negative about the Solstice, it was just those that said a preference liked the Sky better.. Sorry if that makes some people mad but it is the truth as I heard in person... and as i said the owner of the Solstice said he like the styling of the Sky better...Seeing them side by side...

Kappaman you said you didn't like the eye candy of the fake hood vents or side vents, what do you call the indention on the side of the Solstice then? isn't it supposed to be eye candy? like I said everyone is entitled to an opinion...but I have NEVER said one negative thing about the Solstice, I like them both but I prefer the Sky...:thumbs:

·
Registered
727 Posts
skyepilot said:
so why are you an administrator on a SKY forum?:confused:

something doesn't seem right here.............:nono:
Sky and Sol are the same car with a different body, as you learned elsewhere. Kappaman is an Administrator on both the Sol and Sky forum (as the rest of us mods are mods on both forums). He is a great choice since he knows a lot about the kappa cars (far more than most) and is in general very technically knowledgeable on all things automotive. Plus, both sites are owned by the same person, Troy, and he has selected kappaman because of his confidence in his ability to be an admin on these forums.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts