Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here. I put a deposit on my Sky last week. Dealer says 6 months until arrival. Can't wait!

Question: I understand the passenger side airbag has some sort of weight sensor that disengages or engages the airbag. Does anyone have a bit more detail on how that works? What is the weight that triggers it on, etc?

Just curious!

Any information is appreciated.

:cool:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new here. I put a deposit on my Sky last week. Dealer says 6 months until arrival. Can't wait!

Question: I understand the passenger side airbag has some sort of weight sensor that disengages or engages the airbag. Does anyone have a bit more detail on how that works? What is the weight that triggers it on, etc?

Just curious!

Any information is appreciated.

:cool:

Its my understanding that the sensor detects when someone (weight) is seated. It should not deploy if ever in an accident and no one is seated. Welcome to the forum and congrats on picking a fun car!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I believe it is 30 Lbs...there is a certain weight that kids have to be and that is what it was set at...30 seems to ring a bell for some reason.

·
Registered
108 Posts
But the visor on the car says I am to put children in the back seat!!!:devil:

YedraSky

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts

YedraSky
Or, as I affectionately call it, the trunk. I find that when transporting children in the Sky It's best to keep a small wood chipper handy. It makes for a much better fit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The owners manual does not indicate a weight...it does say if you feel it should be on "the airbag" have the person put the seat in the upright position and reposition themselves in the seat. My daughter weighs 79 lbs and does not activate the airbag system.

·
Registered
141 Posts

YedraSky

That's why I painted over the warning stickers...too confusing!!

·
Registered
994 Posts

YedraSky
My wife pointed that out yesterday and stupid me turned around half expecting to see the back seat:willy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
occupant classification system

I am a salesman at a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep store and we have the same system in our vehicles called the Occupant Classification System or OCS. The way it works is there are 4 weight scales almost like fishing ones located in each corner of the seat. When the car senses that there is someone or something under 90lbs or so in the seat, the airbag is turned off. If you are over 90lbs then it turns on. Really cool feature that actually saves you money by not having to replace the airbag if you get in an accident and nobody is in the seat.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am a salesman at a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep store and we have the same system in our vehicles called the Occupant Classification System or OCS. The way it works is there are 4 weight scales almost like fishing ones located in each corner of the seat. When the car senses that there is someone or something under 90lbs or so in the seat, the airbag is turned off. If you are over 90lbs then it turns on. Really cool feature that actually saves you money by not having to replace the airbag if you get in an accident and nobody is in the seat.
90 lbs...ok goes to show what I know...Maybe it is just that I am so solid that when I carry around 90 Lbs of stuff it only feels like 30???

Meh, I doubt it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But the visor on the car says I am to put children in the back seat!!!
YedraSky
Seriously??? How goofy is that? :rolleyes:

Or, as I affectionately call it, the trunk. I find that when transporting children in the Sky It's best to keep a small wood chipper handy. It makes for a much better fit.
I was thinking trunk too, but Ooooooo a wood chipper. What an excellent idea!:lol:

90 pounds sounds reasonable enough. And I DO think it's an excellent idea to have this feature. Why pay to replace two airbags?

Thanks all!

~Teresa

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am now having this problem. Three or four times now someone of adult weight is in the passenger seat, but the passenger airbag "off" light does not change to "On". A little worried safety wise. It's on the list for the dealer. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Fyi

My adult wife sits in the passenger seat and the airbag light says ON

My nine year old 80lb. granddaughter rides with the airbag light saying OFF

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
90 lbs. is the number I recall reading somewhere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 13 Year Old Stepson - 110 lbs ---- ON
My 11 year Old Stepson - 80 lbs ----- OFF

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I special ordered my SKY with out the back seats. :jester: It cost a little extra but the dealer said it would be worth it. I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I special ordered my SKY with out the back seats. :jester: It cost a little extra but the dealer said it would be worth it. I couldn't agree more.
I went the cheap route and just had them filled in... They did not get the top level though it has the rwo humps behind the seats!:banghead: :)lol: )

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I am now having this problem. Three or four times now someone of adult weight is in the passenger seat, but the passenger airbag "off" light does not change to "On". A little worried safety wise. It's on the list for the dealer. Anyone else having this problem?
Mine does that. It's on my list for the dealer to look at when it goes in for service tomorrow.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Airbags

Fartblossom and Hound in the passenger seat Airbag light on. Fartblossom after eating pizza, Fan on high. Top down ...nasty dog ..Skip...:cheers:

·
Registered
450 Posts

YedraSky
Since the Visor says 'back seat'...does that mean we get an insurance discount??? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts