Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you handle people telling you the "secret" of Sky and Solstice being cousins? People at times will talk about that as if it might never have occurred to me.

I sometimes want to act astonished and say, "Really? No way! Let me look for a second here on Google....HOLY COW! Look at that! Why didn't someone tell me this before?!?!"

...and then I realize the person probably just is trying to start a conversation about the car and that is probably the only thing they know for sure about it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah, you can just feign ignorance (or just ignore) when people are trying to stop, er, start conversations about your car. Even 12 year olds.

Your car nearly makes me wish I'd have held off for a midnight blue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I haven't had a conversation about how the Solstice and Sky are cousins.

I've had a few where someone says they prefer the styling of Sky.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I would just say, the real secret there both just rebadged Daewoo G2x's

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Davhamm,

I have paper work somewhere, but can't locate it right now. But the Solstice is from the 53 Nomad desgin. Have you ever heard that. I think the Sky is Vaxhaul inspired. On the Solstice, I found it when I was researching my Mallett. If you look at both of the cars, with the top up, you see the Nomad line on the convertible top. Being as close as you are to GM maybe you could confirm that. I printed the story, but may have sent it to the new owner.

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
On this site, most will tell you the Sky is better looking, on the Solstice site you hear just the opposite. I like the Sky better, but do like the GXP Solstice much better than the NA. I guess it is the different kidney grill and the color of the grill. I like the rear end of the Sostice better than the Sky.

Personally I like the Dash on the Sostice, more sport car look for me. But I like my Skpel's to. I know some people actually hate the Solstice dash.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
On this site, most will tell you the Sky is better looking, on the Solstice site you hear just the opposite. I like the Sky better, but do like the GXP Solstice much better than the NA. I guess it is the different kidney grill and the color of the grill. I like the rear end of the Sostice better than the Sky.

Personally I like the Dash on the Sostice, more sport car look for me. But I like my Skpel's to. I know some people actually hate the Solstice dash.
I HATE it....Dr Zakov's rocket ship.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,557 Posts
Davhamm,

I have paper work somewhere, but can't locate it right now. But the Solstice is from the 53 Nomad desgin. Have you ever heard that. I think the Sky is Vaxhaul inspired. On the Solstice, I found it when I was researching my Mallett. If you look at both of the cars, with the top up, you see the Nomad line on the convertible top. Being as close as you are to GM maybe you could confirm that. I printed the story, but may have sent it to the new owner.
I thought the Nomad prototype was the vehicle based on the 53 Nomad... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
How do you handle people telling you the "secret" of Sky and Solstice being cousins? People at times will talk about that as if it might never have occurred to me.

I sometimes want to act astonished and say, "Really? No way! Let me look for a second here on Google....HOLY COW! Look at that! Why didn't someone tell me this before?!?!"

...and then I realize the person probably just is trying to start a conversation about the car and that is probably the only thing they know for sure about it.
Tell me the secret, I don't think I ever heard about it. What am I missing as a sky owner??

·
Registered
317 Posts
10 Redline
20 Solstice GXP - I love that "Sly" color, but I would consider going custom paint on a Solstice.
30 Goto 10

If I found a clapped-out GXP for the right price I think I'd buy it. As for the dash on the Solstice, there are times I think it's ugly, and there are times that it makes sense with what I understand the design ethic of the car to be. I like it when I think of it that way. I shouldn't have to remind myself why I like it, so I go back to not liking it.

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
To me the color of the dash makes it or breaks it for the Solstice. The "Sand/Steel" combo is just horrible. The sand is fine, it's that "Steel". Every time I see it, it reminds me of the unfinished plastic of a model car kit I use to build as a kid. I would paint every part even if it was supposed to be that color gray because that gray always looked unfinished to me. I could have bought a GXP when I got my Sky (they were both on the same lot) but it had that Sand/Steel interior. Just couldn't do it.

I'd love to get a Solstice with the charcoal and graphite interior (not sure what it's official name is) and then do a wood or stainless steel dash kit on it. They look amazing like that.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I have one of each and like both.

Having said that I think its interesting that on Solstice forum you seldom if ever see any conversation about the SKY while on the Sky forum the recurring topic of which is prettier comes up over and over again. And generally Mike says he hates the Solstice and others say the Sky is edgier and . .. Its kind of like a feeling of inferiority constantly brings the subject up.

My personal experience may be unique. I go to car shows with both cars. Sitting next to each other. The Sky is of course my wife's car and has her design influences. It is an estrogen wagon. The ladies all swoon over her car and it is very effeminate. The opposite is true of my Solstice. But then that may be a result of the differences in paint and a few custom touches.

Personally when I drive the Sky I am frequently asked for a date by men. When driving the Sol I am offered favors but by the ladies.

Which some would say is consistent with the Saturn Company being managed by a woman for women. Saturn was branded for women 35 to 50 years of age.

I have seen Bob's car and he has transformed it into a former combat Marine car, but there are a lot of others that are not so manly out there.

Just saying . . .. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
I have one of each and like both.

Having said that I think its interesting that on Solstice forum you seldom if ever see any conversation about the SKY while on the Sky forum the recurring topic of which is prettier comes up over and over again. And generally Mike says he hates the Solstice and others say the Sky is edgier and . .. Its kind of like a feeling of inferiority constantly brings the subject up.
Then goes on to talk about how feminine the Sky is...

My personal experience may be unique. I go to car shows with both cars. Sitting next to each other. The Sky is of course my wife's car and has her design influences. It is an estrogen wagon. The ladies all swoon over her car and it is very effeminate. The opposite is true of my Solstice. But then that may be a result of the differences in paint and a few custom touches.

Personally when I drive the Sky I am frequently asked for a date by men. When driving the Sol I am offered favors but by the ladies.

Which some would say is consistent with the Saturn Company being managed by a woman for women. Saturn was branded for women 35 to 50 years of age.

I have seen Bob's car and he has transformed it into a former combat Marine car, but there are a lot of others that are not so manly out there.

Just saying . . .. :)
Trying to make up for something RtE? >:) LOL ;)

Personally I like them both. Would love to own a Solstice too. I've always felt they were different takes on the same thing...the Solstice being a retro look at the roadster while the Sky was more a modern take on the roadster market. They both have great lines, there are things I'd change about both too.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
I like chatting with people at car show, but not constantly for the whole show and I don't enjoy answering the same questions over and over (how many did they make?).

My solution was to put answers to the questions I get tired of answering on a poster board. Here's the one we just updated for this year. We have something similar for the Fiero and wifey's Sprite.

So if your pet peeve is people telling you the Solstice is built on the same chassis, do this:

- Built at the same plant and on the same platform and the Pontiac Solstice (and Opel GT and Daewoo G2X).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Very nice, but I'm not certain that your mention of "first direct-injection mass production car sold in the US" is correct. I thought that Volkswagen and Mercedes already had direct-injection cars here. I think the LNF was the first DI engine from a US manufacturer, but not the first SOLD in the US.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts