Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here know of a trans shop that can do a shift kit or stall converter for the 5L transmission. I have not found anyone yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone on here know of a trans shop that can do a shift kit or stall converter for the 5L transmission. I have not found anyone yet.
best bet is talk to a bmw shop, as they have been running this trans since 2000

rant time:
why is it people are in such a hurry to throw bad parts at a good trans for a cuase they don't understand? this trans was designed from the beginning to be electronicly controlled and shifted. shift timing, shift point, line pressures are all controlled by the PCM. everyhting a shift kit on an old hydralicly shifted transmission is controlled in software now. want a firmer shift? decrease amperage to your pressure control solenoid during the desired shift. more line pressure, quicker accumalator fill, faster piston apply, firmer shift. with the exception of the 4t40e, 4t80e, 5lXXe, 6lXXe and the 6tXXe transmission, every current hydramatic transmission can be traced back to an earlier design that relied entirely on hydralic controls for shift timing, shift control and shift feel. governor? try vehicle speed sensor data. TV cable? try throttle position sensor data. Vacuum Modulator? Engine Load Data. Kickdown switch/cable? again throttle position sensor.

some of the capabilities provided by computer control (edited from GM's bulletin #02-07-30-002A):
The Hydra-Matic 5L40E/50E automatic transmissions have some unique operating characteristics with which customers may not be familiar. They have been designed to provide more of a manual transmission feel than other Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions.

Normal Mode Operation
During normal mode operation, drivers may notice increased powertrain braking after releasing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle will not coast freely when the accelerator pedal is released but will start to gradually slow down as if the brakes were lightly applied. This feels very similar to releasing the accelerator pedal on a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission.

Sport Mode Operation
Typically, Sport mode delays upshifts. The Sport mode simulates the performance driving of a manual transmission. Under certain conditions, the vehicle will maintain specific gears longer than a traditional automatic would. When driving in Normal mode in 5th gear, depressing the Sport button causes an immediate 5-4 downshift, which will be maintained for ten seconds. In any other gear, no downshift takes place when Sport is engaged. In Sport mode, the vehicle has firmer shifting and increased performance, and the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in Normal mode.

Driver Shift Control (DSC)
The driver manually overrides the automatic gear selection. Various mechanization options for input device and degree of override are allowed.

Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS)
PAS overrides normal automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuver. Lower gear is accompanied by near synchronous engine speed control for quick response upon re-opening throttle (enable threshold bias in Sport mode).

Performance Algorithm Liftfoot (PAL)
PAL prevents liftfoot upshifts while maintaining engine braking during repeated aggressive cornering.

Winter Mode
The vehicle launches in 2nd or 3rd gear instead of 1st, to avoid wheel spin in snow or ice, if selected by the driver.

Shift Stabilization
Shift stabilization is used to minimize shift business, or hunting between ranges. Based on several inputs and a map of engine torque at various RPM and throttle position, the TCM determines before making an upshift whether the engine will be able to maintain vehicle speed in the next higher range. If it calculates that it cannot maintain speed, it will prevent the upshift from occurring.

Downgrade Detection Brake Assist
Shift to lower gear with braking on downgrade based on fuzzy logic rules calculated from a thermal brake model, terrain detection, desired acceleration, vehicle speed, and mass detection.

Adapts
Adapts continually compares actual shift times to desired shift times. The transmission controls make hydraulic adjustments to assure the actual shift times approach the ideal shift time the next time the shift is made for similar operating conditions of vehicle RPM, engine load, and road load conditions. The adaptive shift process continues for the life of the vehicle to provide consistent and optimized shifts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
best bet is talk to a bmw shop, as they have been running this trans since 2000

rant time:
why is it people are in such a hurry to throw bad parts at a good trans for a cuase they don't understand? this trans was designed from the beginning to be electronicly controlled and shifted. shift timing, shift point, line pressures are all controlled by the PCM. everyhting a shift kit on an old hydralicly shifted transmission is controlled in software now. want a firmer shift? decrease amperage to your pressure control solenoid during the desired shift. more line pressure, quicker accumalator fill, faster piston apply, firmer shift. with the exception of the 4t40e, 4t80e, 5lXXe, 6lXXe and the 6tXXe transmission, every current hydramatic transmission can be traced back to an earlier design that relied entirely on hydralic controls for shift timing, shift control and shift feel. governor? try vehicle speed sensor data. TV cable? try throttle position sensor data. Vacuum Modulator? Engine Load Data. Kickdown switch/cable? again throttle position sensor.

some of the capabilities provided by computer control (edited from GM's bulletin #02-07-30-002A):
Complete scenario. Dont understand, I dont think so..Old news. I ran a 4L-60E on a 4400lb car. Ran 12.65's with stock LT-1 w/turbo. The car took off like a shot and the street manners were impeccable. This mostly due to vette servos and a pro yank converter. Dont care for hard shifts.Im more interested in a low STR high stall coverter. I will find one when the time comes. The difference in performance on the street is unbelievable with a good converter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
a 4l60e is a completely different beast than the 5l40e. it derives from the 700r4 from 1982, and in reality shares a lot of traits of the even older 350. the old tricks with that trans do not apply anymore.

anyways, these guys claim to offer a high stall convertor for the BMW applications of 5l40e, so they would be your best bet: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

·
Registered
141 Posts
:boxing:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Resurrecting a 2 and a half year thread to pose a question. Take a look at Nimisys' post above listing the capabilities of the 5L40. Anyone know what, if any, of these features (other than Normal Mode) are resident in the kappa?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Resurrecting a 2 and a half year thread to pose a question. Take a look at Nimisys' post above listing the capabilities of the 5L40. Anyone know what, if any, of these features (other than Normal Mode) are resident in the kappa?
These are all personal observations; no other documentation is offered.
We do not have the option of “normal/sport”, unless you count selecting “I”, in which case you do get better throttle response, etc.
We can DSC, but only if it wouldn’t result in catastrophic failure. You can force a downshift…if it will go. If that would cause an engine overrun, then it won’t downshift until it can be done safely. I wouldn’t trust this feature with my life. You might get lucky, make a downshift that was ill advised and it happens.
PAS has not made itself known to me. Many times, on a weekend, I would be coasting around an hi “G” corner, goose it to come out, and the car 3-2 downshifted. If PAS was operational, it would have been in 2nd, especially if that was the gear on entry.
“Winter mode”… no switch for that.
“Shift stabilization”… seems more economy- than performance-oriented.
It does “Adapt”. When I get into the car after he has been driving it, I notice higher/firmer shifts and more aggressive down shifting. This is why we get on it in the last few miles before an event, to let the car know ‘it’s coming’. -J

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
We do not have the option of “normal/sport”, unless you count selecting “I”, in which case you do get better throttle response, etc.
My old '96 SC2 is a dual mode automatic with a Normal / Performance toggle switch down on the console.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have a manual, so I have never played around with the auto. But I have often wondered if setting an auto kappa in "competitive mode" or "traction off mode" would effect the transmission in any way? I am assuming from your post that there is no difference realized from the different settings on the car.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
But I have often wondered if setting an auto kappa in "competitive mode" or "traction off mode" would effect the transmission in any way?
I wondered about that too. It seems the auto trans is capable of several modes. The question is whether the GM engineers tie the traction and ESC switch triggers to the respective trans modes. I doubt they did (cost?), but it seems the technology is (was?) available to accommodate the option.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is it really a 5L40?

According to Wikipedia, the 5L40 is only good up to 250 ft lbs of torque. Why would GM choose a transmission not up to the stock torque of the Sky Redline?

The very similar 5L50 is good up to 311 ft lbs of torque. GM should have chosen this model.

Did they? Do we really have 5L50's?

·
Super Moderator
6,455 Posts
No.

And why would you resurrect a 3-year-old thread to ask the same question for the third time in one day ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not very nice guys......

I only recently joined and I'm trying to get good information. As far as I'm concerned, the only 'stupid' question is one you never ask. I'm a mechanic. Guessing that GM 'overrated' the transmission is not good enough for me. Do you want me to guess what oil is right for your car? Or guess how much to put in? As you've probably surmised, I'm looking to increase horsepower over the present 320 hp and 340 ft lbs of torque. Is it stupid to find out what the limitations of the transmission are? Is it stupid to expect a little courtesy and understanding for a reasonable question? I hope other members are more thoughtful. I think an apology is in order, don't you?

·
Super Moderator
6,455 Posts
While it is true that the stupid question is the one that isn't asked, there are different ways to ask, and you will find a variety of reactions to your questions depending on how and when you ask them.

Generally, asking questions before doing your own search for the answers will get you a caustic response. Asking the same question, or variations of it, several times under those conditions will likely get you something worse.

Search is your friend here. Use it to search the forum, and ask questions when the information you get is incomplete or confusing to you. Google is also your friend, use it the same way.

Questions asked to gain clarification or additional insight, or about things that are not available in the general knowledge base, will normally be answered in detail. Questions that ask someone else to do your basic research likely will not.

I advise you to get a factory service manual for your car as soon as possible, certainly before you start making changes to it. As a mechanic you should be well aware of its value, and I would think you would already have one. Many of the questions you are likely to have can be answered with help of the service manual, and many others by reading the owner's manual that you should already have.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks

Yes, that's a helpful response. FYI, I did do a thorough search on Google. I also did the best I could searching each sky and solstice forum. I could not find the information I needed. I would like the repair manual but I think it's about $400 (how these prices have sky rocketed over the years!). And I'm pretty sure the manual won't list maximum horsepower and torque for the transmission. I was hoping someone with a background at GM, someone who has drag raced these, or anyone else with good information would reply. Wikipedia is not the best technical reference.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
you bumped the same topic three times in a day. forum faux pas.

I gave you the answer twice, and you challenged it both times. If you dont believe me, you need to get under the car, look at the part number on the transmission and call a GM center to verify what it is.There is really no reason in asking if you just challenge the answer you get over and over.

To the extent that I can help, that is looking on wiki/other web sources and seeing what it is. It is a 5L40-E is the transmission that was used. As you already know, GM stamps all their drive train components with a p/n for reference as to what it is and when/where it was built. So if you don't want to take my word for it, i guess it is time to get under the car, get the p/n, and call GM yourself.

Again as far as anyone making a tranny give up from sheer torque, I have not seen it. Intruder is still at about 380whp and the tranny has no issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did email GM

I emailed GM but they won't answer the question. To be honest, if I'd never seen the Wikipedia post I probably wouldn't be as concerned. Where did THEY read the limits on power and weight? Why can't we find the original document?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bmw

And, P.S., I have friends who work for BMW and they did tell me there was a high rate of failure of these when used in much lower horsepower BMW's. Why was this, I wonder? Did GM make any changes in light of this? I guess they did, they introduced the 5L50. And the Wikipedia article implies that the 5L40 was discontinued in 2007. If this was so, what transmissions were fitted to 2008, 2009, and 2010 Sky's and Solstices? I don't think it's unreasonable of me to try to get to the bottom of this, do you?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
And, P.S., I have friends who work for BMW and they did tell me there was a high rate of failure of these when used in much lower horsepower BMW's. Why was this, I wonder? Did GM make any changes in light of this? I guess they did, they introduced the 5L50. And the Wikipedia article implies that the 5L40 was discontinued in 2007. If this was so, what transmissions were fitted to 2008, 2009, and 2010 Sky's and Solstices? I don't think it's unreasonable of me to try to get to the bottom of this, do you?
Sure bud. Let us know what you find out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts