Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have specific info on the Performance Suspension Kit that is available when ordering the SKY? Is it worth the extra $1600.00? Cannot decide whether this is really necessary. Need clarification. Next image at my Saturn dealer is mine...

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd imagine that is the same suspension the Solstice with ZOK comes with as a RPO. The only person I know for a fact that has ordered that is Fast Mike on the other forum. Check with him and see if he has his car yet.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Not exactly. I understand the stabilizer bars may be the same as Z0K, but the shocks and springs are different than the Z0K.

I would imagine that the Z0K is more focused on "club racing" aka "road racing". This would drive a different setup from what one would run if they were "autocrossing". So, I would expect that the setup available through performance parts is likely oriented toward 'autocrossing' (generally higher spring rates, more damping in the shocks).

Autocrossers like to have very stiff suspension settings, whereas a club racer is balancing out stiffness and controllability, and actually needs some rough-road 'forgiveness' built in to maximize tire contact over a wider range of road input.

I have never found a setup that works well in both settings - or at least "optimally" in both settings. I have found ways to set up a car that is ok in autocrossing, but too 'tied down' for club racing. I have set up cars that do well in club racing, but are not tight enough for 'good' autocrossing... to do one or the other well requires to distinctly different setups.

·
Registered
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank u Kappa for saving me $1600.00. Not a necessary option for this guy. By the way, have u manufactured the dual exhausts for the SKY yet and the fascia?

MarlboroMike

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
marlboromike said:
thank u Kappa for saving me $1600.00. Not a necessary option for this guy. By the way, have u manufactured the dual exhausts for the SKY yet and the fascia?

MarlboroMike
KappaMan doesn't make accessories, just very long posts. :D

You might be confusing his name with KappaSphere.

·
Registered
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry...so much confusion...too many Kappas...Kappa platform, kappasphere, KAPPAMAN, KAPPA....just confusing...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Hmmm

Not sure on the Sky/Solstice - it does appear to be part of the Redline/GXP package - perhaps to handle the extra horsepower without losing control. I believe the marketing material says it helps the performance in high speed turns. Most likely also helps in 0-60 time a few tenths of a second.

My brother had a 1988 Fiero GT with the sport suspension - he loved it becuase he could "feel" the road - I did not like it becuase I could feel every tiny bump and crack etc in the road.

My guess would be it is more about performance that comfort - but then 1988 is a long time ago in terms of autmotive engineering.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
According to Saturn this car pulls 0.90g's on the skidpad. Thats enough grip for me!!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SaturnSkyDude said:
According to Saturn this car pulls 0.90g's on the skidpad. Thats enough grip for me!!
Switch out for some summer only tires like Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires and you should get an even higher value then that. That's what I'm doing once my RS-A's are dead. :thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts