Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had originally ordered my SKY with the performance suspension, which is a dealer installed part.

They went to put it on, and found that their kit contained two front end sets. It could have taken weeks for the right pieces to come in, so I had them put the car back together as manufactured, and took delivery, planning on getting the PS added at a later date.

But now I'm not sure.

My driving habits are fairly back roads (avg 40-45 mph) to and from work every day--about 25 miles round trip. Typical errands on the weekend. I didn't buy the car for "performance" but more because I liked the look and wanted a ragtop, and I've been driving Saturns since 1996.

My SKY is manual shift, and I live in Florida and will drive her pretty much year round--although I have an L-Series to drive in inclement weather.

I like the ride I've got now. What will the Performance Suspension do for me if I spend the cash to have it installed? How will it change the ride?

Thoughts and words of wisdom are invited.

Anne

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It will come in handy if you decide to race her...
:jester:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The ride is a lot stiffer, but it handles great. The respose is quicker than stock and IMO it just feels great. I drove the stock suspension, good, but not as responsive. I think it is worth the investment

You will feel every bump, but who cares?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
This is one of those personal preference things.
I'm glad Ernest weighed in as a Performance Suspension owner.

I've driven both to evaluate, but own and prefer the stock.
All comes down to what you like and to some extent how you drive the car.
There's tradeoffs here.

To some, the suspension upgrade just makes the car everything they want it to be.
Ernest nails it here. It's stiffer, but feels more responsive and handles better.
You get different feedback as a driver, and the perf susp gives you faster response and feedback.
The tradeoff, is you get more feedback through your butt as well, as it's a harder ride
which will come up through your seat. Hit some big bumps and you're going to get kicked in the backside.

The person I tested with strongly preferred the upgrade, I didn't, so there's no absolute answer.
It's just great that you get the choice.

As a daily driver with some backroads mixed in and liking the ride now,
you might want to lean towards what you've got now, but consider em both.
As you drive now, try to picture a better handling tighter ride that you'd get from the upgrade.
It is kinda nice, although I like the looser feel I have now just a little bit more(everybody's different).
On the flip side, be aware of the bumps you hit and how the car takes them now and imagine those much harder.
I don't want that to sound too negative though, because if you liked what it did to handling, it may well outweigh this part of the tradeoff.

Just my opinion here.
Hopefully others will toss theirs in as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anne, I had a '96 miata and was talked into "improving the handling". BALONEY all I got was a car whos ride was so stiff and jolting, it made our weekend fun rides, miserable tortue rides.

The sky was designed to have slightly longer, more compliant suspension travel than the pontiac solstice. the solstice has a firmer " competition oriented suspension for more precise handling". Yet nearly all contemporary magazine road tests agree that the sky with it's softer suspension not only rides better, ,but handles better too. The softer more compliant sky set up is exactly why this is so, especially if the road surface is at all bumpy.

Trust me, you will regret adding the stiffer suspension, your ride comfort will suffer with little or no handling benifit.
Hornet

·
Registered
380 Posts
Will the redline version have the performance suspension as standard? I have a redline ordered, but really like the ride and handling of the stock Sky I have.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
As I understand it, the R/L comes standard witha performance suspension. As for regretting the change, I don't. To me it is a matter of safety as well as performance. Living in this God awful DFW metroplex where every other driver is an idiot, or a Mario Adretti wanna' be, it is a matter of survival. And the fact that the SKY is like the motorcycle, hard to be seen, it is a plus. Either way you decide it isa real HOOT driving a SKY!!!:thumbs: :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
skyfan said:
Will the redline version have the performance suspension as standard? I have a redline ordered, but really like the ride and handling of the stock Sky I have.
Hey SKYFAN, not to worry. So far it looks like SATURN does it's homework better than PONTIAC, so I doubt that the red line factory fitted "performance" suspension will be a bonecrusher. SATURN'S customers are older and more mature than pontiac. Saturn is sensitive to it's owners desires.

Hornet:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Ernest said:
As I understand it, the R/L comes standard witha performance suspension. As for regretting the change, I don't. To me it is a matter of safety as well as performance. Living in this God awful DFW metroplex where every other driver is an idiot, or a Mario Adretti wanna' be, it is a matter of survival. And the fact that the SKY is like the motorcycle, hard to be seen, it is a plus. Either way you decide it isa real HOOT driving a SKY!!!:thumbs: :D
I thought ya dun mounted them twin fifties already ta take care of unwanted autos in your perimeter. Shoo, I just run them suckers offen tha road. While screamin Dang Dumba$$. Works everytime.....Skip...not really that mean...:cool: :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone for your input. It sounds like I'm going to stay with the stock suspension. The roads I drive on are a bit bumpy in places, one of the things I like about the SKY is the smooth ride.

The car handles beautifully just as it is as far as my needs go, so for me better handling isn't a trade off for a bumpier ride.

Thanks again, you've all pretty much said what I thought the answer was going to be. :cheers:

Anne

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I intend to keep the stock because it a bit softer ride. However, I also saw something that gave the stock Solstice a better salom time than one with the performance suspense. Part of the reason is the softer suspension actually lets the wheels stay in better contact with the road than the stiffer performance suspension. So if I can get a nice ride with some really good performance or a very high peformance with a stiff ride, I will take the nice ride. :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
greenhornet said:
Anne, I had a '96 miata and was talked into "improving the handling". BALONEY all I got was a car whos ride was so stiff and jolting, it made our weekend fun rides, miserable tortue rides.

The sky was designed to have slightly longer, more compliant suspension travel than the pontiac solstice. the solstice has a firmer " competition oriented suspension for more precise handling". Yet nearly all contemporary magazine road tests agree that the sky with it's softer suspension not only rides better, ,but handles better too. The softer more compliant sky set up is exactly why this is so, especially if the road surface is at all bumpy.

Trust me, you will regret adding the stiffer suspension, your ride comfort will suffer with little or no handling benifit.
Hornet[/QUOTE

I respect your opinion but have to disagree, there is a noticeable difference between the two. I like the quicker response and the overall feel of the performance pkg. But it is a matter of driver preference, either choice is:cool:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The GXP/RedLine suspension is stiffer than the normal suspension, but the SPO performance suspension is even stiffer yet than the GXP/Redline, both damping AND spring rates.

So, the GXP/RedLine will be a bit tighter and more responsive than the current car, but not as tight as if you were to install the performance suspension.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I find it so odd so many of you Sky owners have the suspension kit specifically designed for racing, yet none of you race. I know countless Sol owners who race, and none of them I know of have it installed...

Unless you plan to get into racing there's really no reason to have this kit. I drive my base suspension Sol every day and race it and think the base suspension is very adequate.

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
brentil said:
I find it so odd so many of you Sky owners have the suspension kit specifically designed for racing, yet none of you race.
...yet.

I'm still getting use to the car and practicing my heal-tow technique (still need to get that down...every now and then I pull it off very smoothly...getting better) but I plan on autocrossing this bad boy in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
brentil said:
I find it so odd so many of you Sky owners have the suspension kit specifically designed for racing, yet none of you race. I know countless Sol owners who race, and none of them I know of have it installed...

Unless you plan to get into racing there's really no reason to have this kit. I drive my base suspension Sol every day and race it and think the base suspension is very adequate.

:confused:

Sometimes it just comes with the car off the lot as part of a package.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
cerberus said:
Sometimes it just comes with the car off the lot as part of a package.
Because dealers are tacking them on in order to try to rip off customers for more money. I haven't heard of a single Pontiac dealership doing this, but I know countless Saturn ones doing it. Do they have some sort of secret network they all get on and find new ways to screw over customers while still looking all peachy with GM? GM says "we'd really like it if you didn't charge over MSRP" so Saturn dealerships say "ok <snicker snicker>."

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Robotech said:
...yet.

I'm still getting use to the car and practicing my heal-tow technique (still need to get that down...every now and then I pull it off very smoothly...getting better) but I plan on autocrossing this bad boy in the near future.
You're more then likely better off just getting into auto-x now with your car instead of waiting till you get heal-tow down. In most cases you're in 2nd gear the entire time you're on the course so heal-tow skills don't even come into play. It's more important for much more powerful cars that make it outof 2nd and need to downshift into 3rd while cornering.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts