Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
A backbone, tune (Trifecta budget or a vendor remote tune) and a full set of Hawk pads would run you less than a grand and have you off to a solid start. You can do swaybars too and be around $1,000 or add a high flow cat downpipe and the front and rear braces and come in under $2k... intake... under $3K total.

Yea, I write a lot...
What you write is timeless. It is appreciated.

My plan: 2007 RL, Black.

1. Find a mechanic that can do the following without any Sky damage:

A backbone, sway bars, braces. Everything in Red, or, Canary Yellow. (Lol.)

Intake/Exhaust for deep grumble sound.

I'm worried about emissions (Smog check) with the high flow cat downpipe, but if no worries, that too.

Then, the vendor remote tune to "see" these mods and adjust accordingly.

Then Hawk pads.

Leather like Seat Covers (Red). I currently have cloth.

2. Have it all done (mechanical stuff), or learn from a pro as to how.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I love your interior. I'd like that in red. Where did you get it done?

Your information is awesome. I used to work on my cars, rebuilding 68 Firebirds, brakes, etc, but don't have the time anymore, nor the desire. Finding a good mechanic who knows the car, and how to safely do these mods (braces, exhaust; San Diego/Temecula) will be as golden info as anything.

Or... club/group people who do it (right).

Cost isn't an issue with me. Finding the right mechanic who won't damage the car in the process... is.

Looks like you have a lot of fun in your Sky. Totally awesome. Your knowledge is a great benefit to everyone.
What you write is timeless. It is appreciated.

My plan: 2007 RL, Black.

1. Find a mechanic that can do the following without any Sky damage:

A backbone, sway bars, braces. Everything in Red, or, Canary Yellow. (Lol.)

Intake/Exhaust for deep grumble sound.

I'm worried about emissions (Smog check) with the high flow cat downpipe, but if no worries, that too.

Then, the vendor remote tune to "see" these mods and adjust accordingly.

Then Hawk pads.

Leather like Seat Covers (Red). I currently have cloth.

2. Have it all done (mechanical stuff), or learn from a pro as to how.

Well, you're in luck. The guy who did the seats is also located at a shop that I'd trust to work on your car out in Beaumont. I think @skersfan and I may have told you about this shop before. The interior guy can take a while but he can do the work. Of course, you may be able to find the factory red seat covers for your car as well as the door panels. I know Skersfan had a set but I want to say he sold it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was looking at the RPM Stage 1 tune but was told not to bother with any tune if you don't replace the stock fuel injectors. I don't see the fuel injector replacement on the various threads as being a concern. Did I get bad advise or are the fuel injectors just a given for those who have done tunes or engine mods?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
I was looking at the RPM Stage 1 tune but was told not to bother with any tune if you don't replace the stock fuel injectors. I don't see the fuel injector replacement on the various threads as being a concern. Did I get bad advise or are the fuel injectors just a given for those who have done tunes or engine mods?
The injectors on the 2.4 are SMALL. They are the same sized injectors used on the 2.2. Just a tune on a 2.4 won't do much and you can't deliver more fuel (a necessity for more power) without larger injectors as the stock ones are just about maxed on the 2.4. However, without a power added you will never have huge power gains on an NA engine like the 2.4.

There is a big Kappa group in San Diego - https://www.facebook.com/sky.solstice

Also check-out our West Coast Kappa group - https://westcoastkappacar.club/
LOL Skersfan, jgassor, and I all are part of the San Diego group. :D Good group and we do a lot of fun runs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any recommendations on replacement injectors? RPM has a 36 lb set with a Stage 2 tune for $399 USD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Robotech:

This has got to be the best post I've seen on this topic yet. THANKS! Couple follow up Q's for ya:
Given: I have a '08 Redline. Stock everything.

Question: If i were to get a custom tune now, then add charge pipes later and re-tune, what kind of gains would the pipes offer. Let's just say I go with Trifecta's premium tune (not the budget tune) right off the bat. Or, perhaps I go with RPM's tune and later get the charge pipes and re-tune.
thoughts on that? Some folks say charge pipes do next to nothing and the CAI does more. Others say just the opposite.

Your posts here have been so upfront and detailed that i feel you have an opinion worth listening to.

thanks in advnace

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone know if DDM or RPM usually have a spring sale? DDM seems to have increased their prices after Christmas on most items.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Venom Brace Mod with Stock Airbox

I installed the Venom Brace and was anticipating installing the RPM CAI. The Venom brace went in without an issue. I could not get the RPM CAI to fit so I reinstalled the stock air intake. The brace interferes with the stock intake and I had DDM send me the spacer. Looking at the spacer I am not sure what it is supposed to do or how it is to be installed. Anyone use this in their setup?

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
I have never tried this. But I know there is a similar piece for the Toyota FJ and Tacoma. Have several friends that have them and it does not really improve horsepower, but does improve performance.

The 2016 Tacoma's were really down on performance I have been told, but with this installed. It felt like the older engines performance wise. I drove the 2016 Demello truck at the National in 2017. It felt exactly like my 2007 FJ. Supposedly before this was installed, they were very sluggish. No idea about the later models though.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Has anyone tried this product? Looks easier than a tune. Seems like something Robotech would have an opinion on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjI1Q6WSqs
This was just posted a few days ago. As I said on that thread, all this does is increase the ramp of the accelerator pedal and so only accomplishes exactly the same thing as pushing the pedal further/faster. As such it may feel faster, but it's not really. Also, in normal driving, using it means you will always be opening the throttle more than you would have otherwise, decreasing gas mileage across the board.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Agree - waste of money.

My BMW has a stock switch that does this - I never use it. If I want to accelerate harder I just press the pedal further. Good example of a product turning nothing into money, though.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts