Saturn Sky Forum banner

Phoenix Sol-Sky Run & Car Show - Saturday Aug 12th

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  richm 
#1 ·
On Saturday, August 12th, the Phoenix chapter of SkySouthWest is planning a joint run and car show with the Phoenix Solstice club.

The Solistice folks are planning the run, and the Sky folks are working on the car show. Right now, the idea is to drive up into the canyon lakes or up to Payson, but something EAST of Phoenix. Then we would return to the city early enough to wash the road grime off our cars and participate in the Scottsdale Pavillions Car Show. This event is the oldest continuously running car show in the world, hosted by the Rock-n-Roll McDonalds in the Home Depot parking lot at 101 & Indian Bend. We are planning on arriving there at about 5:00 PM, maybe sooner if there are a bunch of us and we need to reserve several spaces.

Participation in both the Canyon Run and the Car Show are free. For more information, visit www.SkySouthWest.com or www.PhoenixSolstice.com.

We will be doing more planning and face-to-face discussion regarding this event on our trip up to Flagstaff this Sunday.

#2 ·
I love the idea that there will be one run on Sun and one on Sat. That will give those who cant make one day a chance to at least make one of them....:thumbs: :cheers:

#3 ·
After further discussion between the two groups, we have decided to make the August 12th run and show the inaugural event for a joint Sky & Solstice club, and will be meeting at the car show to officially found the club.

One idea for the run is to visit up to seven dealerships in the East Valley and drop off flyers, meet with salespeople, a sort of promotional tour. Here is a proposed schedule:

http://www.skysouthwest.com/maps/Tempe-TortillaFlats-Scottsdale-Aug2006.htm

#4 ·
I am doing some testing on the new southwestern clubs domain, Sky-Sol.com (and sol-sky.com), and help me test it by logging in and registering for the August 12th event.

Right now, my event registration software gives the full name, so if you don't want your full name displayed, you can modify that field at time of registration, or modify it later and press UPDATE. Also, since you can change your registration, go ahead and register even if your schedule is tentative. I am hoping that since most of it is local that we will have people drop in on parts of the ride or the show even if you cannot make it all day.

So, please visit www.sky-sol.com and click on the event registration link for this event in the upper right hand menu.

#5 ·
We had one Sky and three Solstices tonight at the Scottsdale Pavilions car show, checking things out for next week's event. We were swamped with questions non-stop all night. We had a Sky and a Solstice parked next to each other most of the night, although Martin had to change spots twice moving us closer together each time. We both got there at 7PM, but it was already packed and there were only a few random spaces left.

The biggest lesson learned was that we need to get there at 5:00PM to have any chance of parking together next week. Also, things get really busy by 7:00PM, so we should do our socializing and talking about the club as much as possible before that time. If you see or talk to your dealers this week, let them know about the event at Scottsdale Pavilions next week. Some of their sales and service people may want to drop by and see how much interest is generated by one of these events.

Also, if you are interested in participating in the ride during the day on the 12th and your dealer is in the East Valley, please let us know and we will make visiting that dealer a priority. Rather than try to hit all seven dealers, I am thinking of scaling back to just four. Our purpose in visiting the dealers during the day is just to pass out some info on the club. Initially, I thought of doing this with just one Sky and one Solstice, but there will probably be more joining us for this ride. I am thinking that we would drop by two places before going up the canyon, and two on the way back. So far, we have talked to the Mesa Pontiac dealer and the Scottsdale Saturn dealer, and both are interested in having us drop by, although I have not confirmed a time yet. Let's tell them to expect a couple of our members for a visit, and then lets try to deliver more.

Below is a link to a PDF of photos from the last event which we will probably print out and drop by the dealers, enough for their sales reps, service managers, finance people, etc. I also hope to have some business cards with the website info that they could pass out to potential members, and maybe even a membership application. Here is the Photo PDF: http://www.sky-sol.com/forms/Phoenix...a-July2006.pdf

#6 ·
I think the current plan for our canyon run on Saturday is to meet up at one of the dealers at 1:00PM and then either visit one more dealer or head straight up the canyon. We are still working out the details.

I did make contact with the owner of my Saturn dealership in Scottsdale. They are going to pass out our club flyers and business cards at their sales meeting Saturday morning. One of the sales reps told me that they have some fence-sitting clients, because they want to see more color choices in person, talk to owners, etc, so they may steer some people to the car show.

Also, my dealer has a $52,000 Cognac Sky in the showroom for sale, a one-of-a-kind car designed by Richard Tyler, donated by Saturn and picked up by the dealer at a Charity auction. I have asked if they would be willing to bring the car to Pavilions, because after it is sold, it will probably be garaged by someone and we won't ever be able to see it again. I hope to get an answer soon. Here are a couple of links to info on the Richard Tyler Cognac Sky:
Photos: http://www.saturnofscottsdale.com/inv/detailu.asp? VIN=1G8MB33B47Y100182
Auction: http://www.cmarket.com/catalog/itemDetail.do? ID=564e7eb354a4a5aa7107425589e4e4ca

If you are interested in the canyon ride during the day or the car show on Saturday evening, please RSVP (even if tentative, or even if coming to the show without a car) at:
http://www.sky-sol.com/index.php?opt...task=view&id=3

RSVPing is not required, but it would be nice to have an estimate as to how many spaces we should try to save together, although I realize that people will be arriving at the car show at different times. In the future, when we get to 20 cars, they will reserve an entire row for us, and we can trickle in as we want.

Participation in both the drive and the car show is free to anyone, and you can come and go as you please at Pavilions, unlike other car shows which are much more structured. Ailse 9 (two rows) is reserved for a general class of current model vehicles, so you just find the ailse marker and park, preferably as close to another Sky or Solstice as possible. There are lots of places to eat nearby, and lots of shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.