Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do not have verizon as your wireless phone service but have cingular...and verizon has a built in telephone number for your car, is it possible to transfer that phone number to cingular and use it? Matter of fact, it would sound logical, since all phone numbers r transferable....just raising a flag. I will definitely begin my research tomorrow

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think that the in car phone uses the OnStar satellites instead of cell towers so Cingular would not have access to the technology unless they entered into some agreement with OnStar.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
hmmm... seems I was wrong. Following is from the OnStar Users Guide:

"Since OnStar uses cellular technology for communication with the OnStar Center, it can only be operated in geographic areas where cellular coverage is available. Although nearly all of the North American population lives and works in cellular coverage areas, there are various rural and mountainous areas where coverage is marginal or does not exist."

manual available here: http://www.onstar.com/us_english/downloadable/Gen5_English.pdf

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
On star is signed up with Verizon. Cannot port # to another cell service Sorry. We already have a saturn with it and just added it as aother line for $9;99

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
More from the OnStar Manual... somewhat troubling...

"This vehicle is equipped with Analog/Digital-Ready hardware. Fcc Ruling 02-229 eliminates the requirement that wireless carriers support the analog network after February 16, 2008. As a result of this ruling, if the carriers for OnStar elect to provide only digital service commencing on 2/16/08, the system in the vehicle will not operate."

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I really wont worry, Verizon is not going to change so on star does not work. They make too much money. And even if they do, there are too many other carriers out there who would pick it up... No use in getting our panties in a dander... :lol:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
agirltrucker said:
I really wont worry, Verizon is not going to change so on star does not work. They make too much money. And even if they do, there are too many other carriers out there who would pick it up... No use in getting our panties in a dander... :lol:
Analog technology is on the way out. Digital is better quality and that's what customers want. Verizon will definitely go digital sooner or later. If you like OnStar, you will just have to pay your local GM dealer some money to upgrade your OnStar... the upgrade path is already built into the hardware.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
:agree:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
agirltrucker said:
Ow ow panties in a dander..Skip ,,,big time perv... :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ohhh, I love it when a man talks dirty :crazy: :jester:

·
Registered
802 Posts
ggccg said:
More from the OnStar Manual... somewhat troubling...

"This vehicle is equipped with Analog/Digital-Ready hardware. Fcc Ruling 02-229 eliminates the requirement that wireless carriers support the analog network after February 16, 2008. As a result of this ruling, if the carriers for OnStar elect to provide only digital service commencing on 2/16/08, the system in the vehicle will not operate."
They are only saying that they will continue to support the digital onstar, which it is already. Analog is old technology that very few people are using anyway (if you have to charge your battery twice a day then you have analog, get rid of it!) Digital phones when not in use (but on) poll a few milliseconds out of a second for inquiries so that only a small amount of battery power is neccessary while waiting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts