Saturn Sky Forum banner

pic request: hide away front plates

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  ricardo.melendez 
#1 ·
anyone have these,mine is off to the side, and can't fold the hinge all the way up, and it falls down sometimes, from tilted to down, any suggestions

See less See more
#2 ·
looks nice off to the side. I could suggest mounting it flat in a recessed-plate style, but that requires cutting and boxing of the area. Would be a little less aerodynamic and a bit of effort but would be really nice results.

You're signature mentions "debadeging" I haven't piped up in the " Saturn front logo debadging" thread, but what I did was get a roll of that $4 "chrome tape" and just cut a square and stuck it over the front Saturn badge for now.
It looks great and takes 5 minutes. Try it if you don't like peel it right off. :thumbs:!

#3 ·

This is where my hideaway plate is located and I have never had any problems with it falling down.
Heck, today is the first time it has been down in ages, so that is why it is so dirty. :lol:

#4 ·
this car is not meant to have a front license plate a ticket is the price you have to pay for such a hot roadster, the cops are always trying to figure out what kind of car it is anyways and dont see that you dont have a front plate!!!

#8 · (Edited)
this car is not meant to have a front license plate
I disagree. I think our cars look just fine with the front tag. It's mounted in a good spot, on what's almost a vertical and flat area. It doesn't take away from the looks of the front at all. A little chrome frame is all it needs. It's not at all like the Solstice front plate mount, which was just a stupid place to put it. The only other complaint I have with mine is that it's a big white spot on the front of my car, but sooner or later I'll get the special MD farm tags to fix that.

And could you really find a better spot to put the plate? Aerodynamically that's probably the best spot, and all other options interfere with either the lights or the intercooler.

If I was seriously into car shows, or if my state didn't require front tags, or if I felt the front tag detracted from the looks of the car, I'd remove it.

I've got a theory, and a friend who owns a crossfire agrees: Euro-styled cars tend to fare much better with front tags than most other styles. Let's face it, how many European cars don't have a nice flat spot to mount the front tags? Seems like when front plates are standard across the board, they get worked into the over-all look of the car. The Sky seems to be one of these cars. (it's the Opel GT, after all.)

So, do whatever floats your boat, but don't say that the car wasn't meant for front tags, because the opposite could easily be true.

#5 ·
I don't have my front plate on; as far as the cops are concerned, I take pity on the officer that issues a ticket for no front plate..............being experienced in this field of work, usually that is a PC stop to search for criminal conduct and usually done on hoopty mobiles and not a hot looking car like the sky.........unless you're stopped by a motor cop (no offence motor cops). Keep the plate off...if you get a ticket, it may be near the end of the month........professional standards (not quotas..illegal) are due.

#6 ·
I would watch the "don't bother with a front plate" advise. In my area in NY the State Troopers on the highways up by me will pull you over and ticket you for sure. To some it is worth the tickets, but it is very area dependent on wether or not you will get pulled over.

#7 ·
I am thinking of getting the remote hidden plate device,,,
Here in BC it is law that you must display the frount plate as well...
2 X now in road blocks I have gotten away with no ticket using the wide innocent smile and "Oh...really officer..I had NO idea :eek: I was supposed to have that on! The guys at the car show told me I didnt when I asked them about that..*insert more innocent eye batting* :rolleyes: ..I notice mostly all of them didn't have one on..sOOooo...
Of course it was 2 differnt officers and I got a :nono: but its a small town and sooner or later...that "little" white lie won't work :jester:
So looking at the device...about the same cost as a ticket here,,it would be worth it, :D

#10 · (Edited)
Well, the seam is there to tie in with the one on the hood. If it wasn't there, those who don't need front tags would have a fender that didn't flow with the rest of the car. Put a plate over it, and it's no big deal, enough can be seen to tie into the hood, and it doesn't destroy the flow of the car. Would you rather they did something like what they did on the C5 'vettes, where those who didn't need front plates still had the terrible-looking cutout? I look at it as a win-win situation: it looks just fine with or without a front tag.

Seriously though, is there a better place to put a front tag? If you've got to have one it's got to be the best compromise location.

I am starting to wonder if part of this is just that I've lived in a state that requires front tags all my life, and I'm just used to them and kinda have an appreciation for a license plate mount that doesn't destroy the look of a car.

And don't mention anything about turds in relation to Skys, I had to clean vulture crap off the passenger side door and seat of mine the other day. No, it didn't happen in a parking lot, it happened on the road. Now I get why the old timers shoot at the things so often.

#11 ·
I am starting to wonder if part of this is just that I've lived in a state that requires front tags all my life, and I'm just used to them and kinda have an appreciation for a license plate mount that doesn't destroy the look of a car.

nope, i think its just you... i hate plates on this car, and im from MD too

Reactions: OhMyBlueSky
#14 ·
no contest

So if the officer writes the car up as a Pontiac - or a Lotus - or anything else does that mean you don't have to pay the ticket?

#15 ·
Somewhere I saw streetrods years ago that had small hydraulic plate holders and they put a switch under the dash and when they press it, the plate goes down, or up....check the streetrod websites....I am getting older but I think they used to be about $140 ??!! just my $.02

#16 ·
FWIW, if you get busted with one of those you'll wish you had just left the front tag off entirely.

#19 ·
This is the same hideaway plate holder that I have.
It fits as long as you elongate the slots in them just a bit.​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.