Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I live 5 miles from the dealership that I ordered my RL from. STILL 4th on the list for an RL. SO.........a member here said that there was a silver RL at a St. Louis dealership. Not any more. It's in my driveway in suburban KC, Mo.

Initial observation.
1) Already drove a standard Sky. I autocross a Triumph TR8 that has been "warmed up" and modified to SCCA Street Prepared rules. A well modified 3.5 liter V8 pulls 2750 pounds better than a turbocharged 2 liter hauling 3100 pounds. For a while. If you haven't driven a manual Redline or GXP LEAVE YOUR RIGHT HAND ON THE SHIFTER. First gear runs out in a HURRY. Second gear runs out in a HURRY. Third gear is imPRESSIVE!!!!! The last time I felt a car pull harder in third than first was a 93 Viper.
2) The engine is electric motor smooth. VERY weird.
3) At idle it has a bit of a V8 rumble. On the road you can't hear much out of the engine or exhaust. This certainly masks one of the "inputs" one has to judge a cars acceleration. The car really pulls hard but it's almost hard to fully sense it.
4) The car was produced before the September shut down. Now power door lock buttons (now THERE is a pain in the ass - what the hell were they thinking?!?!?). I am 5' 8" and felt like I was sitting in a bucket. FIRST MOD - raise the seat.
5) First impression of the Monsoon - overrated. But I need to spend a little more time with it. Played the radio only, didn't play with CD.
6) Wonderful ride. Better than the NA.
7) The dealership did have the tire/wheel protection package. This is a NEAT deal. Bought it.
8) Since the car was 240 miles away I trailered it home. The last time I had that many "stares" at a car I was selling DeLoreans. It was funny. I'm driving 70mph on I-70 and people would speed up to get along side, and when I looked at them they would stop staring and drive away. Really sort of comical.
9) My local dealership knew I was going after this car. My salesman called me as I was driving home to ask if I was going to cancel my order. I told him I wasn't sure yet (I really do want a white one). He asked if I could drive it over so they could look at it. Answer - yes. He asked if he could ride with me. I told him NO, but he was welcome to drive it himself. Stutter, stammer, "WHAT, REALLY?". I said yes. (Scoring points may have some value later.:jester: )
10) The car has 1375 miles on it. The diff is DRY.
11) THE BLIND SPOTS HAVE BLIND SPOTS!!! Those damn Fiat side mirrors SUCK. They could really stand to be rectangular. Oh well. Stick on spots will help.
12) All this in a 10 minute drive!!!
13) Actually, I am developing PERMA-GRIN. Tomorrow it comes off the trailer and I'll put some miles on it.
14) Had to pay the higher base price. :banghead: :mad: :brentil: Otherwise, MSRP plus mud guards. Silver pearl, Monsoon with 6CD, XM radio, leather, spoiler, chrome wheels. In other words, loaded minus automatic.

If anybody is in range of the St. Louis area, all the St. Louis Saturn dealerships (and Columbia, Mo.) are under the same ownership. If they all operate as the one I dealt with, then I can freely recommend them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congratulations!

Congrats on your new ride. My Redline is supposed to be delivered on Monday the 13th at Saturn of Olathe. I wish it had made it here this week while it was in the 70's and 80's. We'll have to get together. I am interested in this "Autocross" thing. Enjoy your new ride. By the way, I live on the Kansas side - Shawnee. :thumbs:

Deposit on Base Sky 3-25-06 (#3)
Switched to Redline 4-27-06 (#1) MSRP
Preliminary Order No. KGBXXQ (6-23-06)
Dealer Image ZMG67 Allocated 8-24-06
Target Production Period 9-18-06 to 9/24/06
3400 Broadcast 10-10-06
VIN 1G8MG35X97Y116050
4200 Shipped 10-23-06
4300 Intermediate Delivery
Estimated Delivery Date 11/13/06
Silver Pearl Redline
Red/Black Leather
Polished Wheels
Manual 5 speed Tranny
6 Disc Monsoon w/XM

·
Registered
421 Posts
Radio needs to be tweaked...

"5) First impression of the Monsoon - overrated. But I need to spend a little more time with it. Played the radio only, didn't play with CD." -Quoted

The radio on my R/L at first seemed so much less than the one in my Standard, until I played with the equalizer and all. My Base was someone who backed out of their order while my R/L was a pre-order from different dealers. I think the first dealer prepped the car much better. Once I tweaked the radio it sounded much better (tho still seems a little off from what I remember).

I also drove my R/L over to the dealer that sold me my Base and let him drive it (funny that we both did the same thing). It was his first time driving an R/L and the comments, expressions etc were so much fun.

Wouldn't let anyone else drive it but somehow this just seemed right. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
With proper set up I can say the Monsoon radio is the best stock radio I have ever heard in a car. My brother has a 2003 Monsson system and admits the SKY's is far superior.
Sounds like the set up needs tweaking (whip out that old Owner Manual !!):cheers:

Hve FUN!:cool:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cold and rainy today. Saturday 50's and sunny. Seems like the owners manual today. Might mow the grass tomorrow.

NOT !!!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
GM Radio's

We have the base radio in the corvette which is suppose to be as good as the Monsoon, but have the Monsoon in my Impala. The comparison my Impala rocks the corvette we found out while stuck on a interstate for 6 hours while they cleared off a 18 wheeler that tipped over with rolled steel blocking the road. Anyway the corvette radio sounds great with the motor off its the V8 rumble that seems to muck it up. The Monsoon has to be set to get the rock out of it, but it does rock and the automatic increase in volume has different settings check that out. I also like the radio stations that use the RDS cool to see what song and singer plus what station.

TulsaSky
:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cold and rainy today. Saturday 50's and sunny. Seems like the owners manual today. Might mow the grass tomorrow.

NOT !!!!
It's been cold and rainy around here for a month, I haven't even been able to drive the darn car. I should have sold you mine and picked up yours from your dealer when it comes in the spring.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been cold and rainy around here for a month, I haven't even been able to drive the darn car. I should have sold you mine and picked up yours from your dealer when it comes in the spring.
Oh GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW you tell me!!:nopity: Here - just to make you feel better :devil: it is going up to 48 today and 58 tomorrow!! Guess what I will be doing?:driving: :driving: :driving:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yea? Well it's like a monsoon out over here. Guess what I'm going to be doing? ( :cryin: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts