Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do you see how high the seat backs are compare to the roll-over protection built into the rear humps? How safe is that going to be in a roll-over accident? Don't want to end up like a Looney Tunes cartoon with tweety saying "Oh, the little car done squished his little head!" :eek:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Delnari said:
Do you see how high the seat backs are compare to the roll-over protection built into the rear humps? How safe is that going to be in a roll-over accident? Don't want to end up like a Looney Tunes cartoon with tweety saying "Oh, the little car done squished his little head!" :eek:
Most roadsters have no roll bar above the headline... only if you want to race one would you have one that high, then you would install one yourself....With the low center of gravity and the width of the car it would be very difficult to roll one, unless your in a accident or just a plain bad driver... in that case you shouldn't own a roadster anyway.... still your better off than on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
classic66vair said:
With the low center of gravity and the width of the car it would be very difficult to roll one, unless your in a accident or just a plain bad driver... in that case you shouldn't own a roadster anyway....
I believe he was talking about an accident.. and to answer this. If you to roll the vehicle, although unlikely, it is possible :willy: . Your area of protection is an angled line from the top of the windshield to the roll over bars. It actually gives you a great deal of protection in that sense. Added to that the likely hood of pretensioners on the belts and the instinctive reaction to crouch and you should be as fine as one could be in that type of accident.

I do however agree, if you are a bad driver, get a sedan.. please avoid an SUV since you are just likely to kill the guy you hit :banghead: and that defeats the purpose of safety.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sky_vue said:
I believe he was talking about an accident.. and to answer this. If you to roll the vehicle, although unlikely, it is possible :willy: . Your area of protection is an angled line from the top of the windshield to the roll over bars. It actually gives you a great deal of protection in that sense. Added to that the likely hood of pretensioners on the belts and the instinctive reaction to crouch and you should be as fine as one could be in that type of accident.

I do however agree, if you are a bad driver, get a sedan.. please avoid an SUV since you are just likely to kill the guy you hit :banghead: and that defeats the purpose of safety.
You also have to factor in the height of the occupants and how the seat is placed in relationship the the roll bar.To tell the truth its been a very long time that I recall seeing a roadster of any kind flipped over on the highway....Most people that get killed in one of these type cars is because of either driving at high speed and not being skilled enough to handle it, or from another driver's mistake... but even in a accident because of the low center of gravity and the wide stance they most likely will spin or slide, and I say not a week goes by without seeing at least one accident with a SUV or Pickup or even a regular sedan flipped on it's roof most people that get killed in them are people that THINK they are safer and do not wear their seat belt Another important factor is remember these little sportscars are more manuverable and brake better than most cars on the road so accident avoidence is higher on cars of this type...

Every vehicle has some negative safety aspect, no car or truck or suv is completely safe for every driver...

IMHO the positive side of safety is much better than the possibility of a rollover accident... All cars, even roadsters have to meet certain rollover standards to protect the occupants in an accident..

In other words , the best thing to do is this... Drive like any minute you could be in an accident, stay alert, don't drink and drive or talk on that dang cell phone, and most of all WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS.
PS also stop at RED LIGHTS!!!!!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
classic66vair said:
.... All cars, even roadsters have to meet certain rollover standards to protect the occupants in an accident.. ...
Not necessarily true.

NHTSA said:
Regulations

§ 571.216 Standard No. 216; Roof crush resistance.

S1. Scope. This standard establishes strength requirements for the passenger compartment roof.

S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce deaths and injuries due to the crushing of the roof into the occupant compartment in rollover crashes.

S3. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, and to multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a GVWR of 2722 kilograms or less. However, it does not apply to --

(a) School buses;

(b) Vehicles that conform to the rollover test requirements (S5.3) of Standard No. 208 (§ 571.208) by means that require no action by vehicle occupants; or

(c) Convertibles, except for optional compliance with the standard as an alternative to the rollover test requirements in S5.3 of Standard No. 208.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/571.216.htm

Lots of discussion here:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354
and here:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1081&page=4

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
and here's what standard 208, section 5.3 says:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/571.208.htm
S5.3 Rollover. Subject a vehicle to a rollover test in either lateral direction at 30 mph under the applicable conditions of S8 of this standard with a test dummy specified in S8.1.8 placed in the front outboard designated seating position on the vehicle's lower side as mounted on the test platform. The test dummy shall meet the injury criteria of S6.1 of this standard.

S6 Injury criteria for the part 572, subpart E, Hybrid III test dummy.

S6.1 All portions of the test dummy shall be contained within the outer surfaces of the vehicle passenger compartment.
section 8 said:
S8.3 Rollover test conditions. The following conditions apply to the rollover test.

S8.3.1 The tested vehicle's brakes are disengaged and the transmission is in neutral.

S8.3.2 The concrete surface on which the test is conducted is level, rigid, of uniform construction, and of a sufficient size that the vehicle remains on it throughout the entire rollover cycle. It has a skid number of 75 when measured in accordance with American Society for Testing and Materials Method E-274-65T at 40 m.p.h. omitting water delivery as specified in paragraph 7.1 of that method.

S8.3.3 The vehicle is placed on a device, similar to that illustrated in Figure 2, having a platform in the form of a flat, rigid plane at an angle of 23 from the horizontal. At the lower edge of the platform is an unyielding flange, perpendicular to the platform with a height of 4 inches and a length sufficient to hold in place the tires that rest against it. The intersection of the inner face of the flange with the upper face of the platform is 9 inches above the rollover surface. No other restraints are used to hold the vehicle in position during the deceleration of the platform and the departure of the vehicle.

S8.3.4 With the vehicle on the test platform, the test devices remain as nearly as possible in the posture specified in S8.1.

S8.3.5 Before the deceleration pulse, the platform is moving horizontally, and perpendicularly to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, at a constant speed of 30 m.p.h. for a sufficient period of time for the vehicle to become motionless relative to the platform.

S8.3.6 The platform is decelerated from 30 to 0 m.p.h. in a distance of not more than 3 feet, without change of direction and without transverse or rotational movement during the deceleration of the platform and the departure of the vehicle. The deceleration rate is at least 20g for a minimum of 0.04 seconds.

I'm no crash expert. However, I would interpret that all section 8 means is you "try" to roll over a vehicle. I'm pretty sure the Sky and Solstice would pass such a test without rolling over (low center of gravity and such), therefore passing "rollover requirements".

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think that there is certanly a market for these safe roadsters, but this group is exclusive with one notable exception. My understanding is the VW Bug Convertable has numatic Roll over bars in case of a flip.

Wouldn't that be a nice option.. very bondish.. press a button then right yourself.

Bug... VW bug..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Rollover is a reality of any vehicle, SUV, truck, or convertible. Some are more suspectible than others but make no mistake any vehicle can roll in accident; often its not result of the drivers experience but the inexperience of others on the road with them. I have seen vehicles turned upside down, some even on a level straight road. Granted the Solstice and Sky are low budget sports car; while MB and BMW can incorporate pop-up rollover protection due to their pricing and market. I wonder if not having this added expense to our kappa cars will result in added injuries during such accidents when compared those higher price sports convertibles? :confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Delnari said:
Rollover is a reality of any vehicle, SUV, truck, or convertible. Some are more suspectible than others but make no mistake any vehicle can roll in accident; often its not result of the drivers experience but the inexperience of others on the road with them. I have seen vehicles turned upside down, some even on a level straight road. Granted the Solstice and Sky are low budget sports car; while MB and BMW can incorporate pop-up rollover protection due to their pricing and market. I wonder if not having this added expense to our kappa cars will result in added injuries during such accidents when compared those higher price sports convertibles? :confused:
Thats why I said you must watch out and be alert at all times and cut the distractions....Well the actual point I was trying to make was if someone is so concerned about being injured in a rollover accident in the first place they should never consider a convertable of any kind.... even with the popup devices you still risk injury from flying objects, guardrails, rocks and trees, so you pays your money and you takes your chances.......It's your life and your choice.......

·
Registered
148 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts