Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some post about the cheap plastic interior in the Sky. Well, I've been looking at it and at the cheap plastic in my 2005 Highlander and 2000 Accord and I can't tell much difference in Saturn's cheap plastic and Toyota and Honda's cheap plastic. There must be a lot I don't know about cheap plastic.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I dont know about cheap plastic either but it beats lookin at steel panels on tha insides. Ya know all this wa-wa over Sky interiors, all ya gotta do is get some Nogahide offen a nogga and cover those PLASTIC panels an quit cryin in your beer or wine or clear....Skip...Just his opinion and don't flame on me......:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
GaryH said:
I've seen some post about the cheap plastic interior in the Sky. Well, I've been looking at it and at the cheap plastic in my 2005 Highlander and 2000 Accord and I can't tell much difference in Saturn's cheap plastic and Toyota and Honda's cheap plastic. There must be a lot I don't know about cheap plastic.
i think it is more perception that an actual fact.. GM has been known for cheap plastic interiors for so long that eveyone automatically sees every GM interior that way... if you took a mould and used the plastic GM uses and what honda uses and mould the exact same piece, I bet nobody could tell the difference...(speaking as a person that works for a plastics company that sells pellets to all the manuacturers)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skip said:
I dont know about cheap plastic either but it beats lookin at steel panels on tha insides. Ya know all this wa-wa over Sky interiors, all ya gotta do is get some Nogahide offen a nogga and cover those PLASTIC panels an quit cryin in your beer or wine or clear....Skip...Just his opinion and don't flame on me......:lol: :lol: :lol:
Skip, I guess those noggas must be a northern animal. We don't have any of them down here. But we do have a lot of nutras. Do you think nutra fur would look good as a gearshift cover. Of course, they have opened gater season here in south Alabama this year. What do you think? Gater leather seat covers and nutra fur gearshift,console and dashboard.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Gater leather would work fine but I think that the Florida Gaters need all their football team this year. Sos we could not use that Gater skin.....Skip....:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Skip said:
Gater leather would work fine but I think that the Florida Gaters need all their football team this year. Sos we could not use that Gater skin.....Skip....:lol: :lol:
Armadillo would be a little rough, ya think? Possum is a possibilty.:D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ernest said:
Armadillo would be a little rough, ya think? Possum is a possibilty.:D
Your right about the armadillos. Too hard to kill. By the time you run em over with the pickup, it tears up the shell and hide. Possums are too greasy. It would be like Armorall on everything. Better stay with the nutras or naggas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
USA plastic ?

I'm assuming ( I know that makes an a.. out of you and me) that the plastic parts are in general made here in the states. Plastic molded "things" is one of the few products our country can still compete at, because once you make the mold (my hat is off to those very talented moldmakers) you can pop out millions of parts. So click together your plastic molded cups together and dream of a day when we had chrome metal trim and listened to Steely Dan.... couldn't resist that one:cheers:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
RedSky2night said:
So click together your plastic molded cups together and dream of a day when we had chrome metal trim and listened to Steely Dan.... couldn't resist that one:cheers:
Hey! Some of us STILL listen to Steeley Dan and Donald Fagan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think some is perception and some is how they finished the plastic. Touch your dash then touch the squishy plastic over your instruments and also compare the plastic on the dash to the more squishy plastic on your arm rest by the emergency brake.

Look at the sharp almost unfinished looking edge around the door handle and by where the door plastic meets up with the dash plastic.

The squishy stuff is great and I wish they used more of it, they should have finished the handles and the door pull a little better so they didn't feel as cheap.

One good thing is the plastic is a heck of a lot easier to keep clean than leather.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Having owned a 2004 Honda Accord and now the Sky, I can tell you that there is a world of difference in the quality of the plastics used. The Honda uses the lowest grade of plastic I have ever seen on ANY automobile. It scratches super easily and actually feels "sticky" to the touch. The dash attracts dust like a wonder brush and is hard to wipe clean. The plastic used by GM is more durable and of a much higher quality. GM should use some of the money they invest in customer rebates to pay off the auto mag writers like Honda HAS to do to get such good reports on the shear "sheet" they make !!

We must be dealing with grade schoolers on this forum for the 4- letter word used to describe poop to automaticly be replaced by **** marks !

·
Registered
574 Posts
Speaking of cheap plastic.........

My wife and I went on vacation recently and we rented a Mustang convertable. Upon getting in we were both suprised by the textured grey plastic fantastic interior.....what a shame, as it is a great looking car on the exterior. This car started a lot of trends in Detroit twoards retro/classic inspired design....it was kind of disapointing. As for the Sky, I think the interior is pretty darn good for a car under 30 grand. :cool:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like the interrior of my Sky. It looks good. I caution you however, not to use Armorol on it. That makes it too shiney. I used 303 on the interrior and it darkened the black - made it look "richer" and protects it from sun damage.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SunneySky said:
I like the interrior of my Sky. It looks good. I caution you however, not to use Armorol on it. That makes it too shiney. I used 303 on the interrior and it darkened the black - made it look "richer" and protects it from sun damage.
NEVER use ArmorAll on ANY car's interior. Bad, bad stuff! :nono:

·
Registered
72 Posts
SKYtime said:
100% agree!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I totally agree!!

SKYtime said:
It becomes a vicous cycle..... the dust sticks.... more armor all....the dust sticks...etc forever:cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have only used Armor All on one car, and it is the only car I have had that the dash board cracked on.....

·
Registered
804 Posts
ggccg said:
Hey! Some of us STILL listen to Steeley Dan and Donald Fagan.
Who are they??:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts