Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
7,918 Posts
I need to clean up/remove old cracked plastic protective material under hood latches (on the hood body): any suggestions?
I'm confused. There is protective film under the buttresses on top of the rear deck lid, but I can't picture anything on the hood.

Unless you are referring to the convertible top as the hood.

·
Administrator
7,918 Posts
the film under the buttresses
The best approach seems to be to warm the plastic, either by using a hair dryer or even by leaving the car in the hot sun for a couple of hours. Heat guns are generally not recommended as they can overheat the plastic and paint potentially causing blistering. Once it is warm, carefully use a plastic razor blade to lift the plastic, then use goo-gone to remove the remaining adhesive.

Some people have replaced them with clear-bra material, and some have just left them off after deciding that they are not needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best approach seems to be to warm the plastic, either by using a hair dryer or even by leaving the car in the hot sun for a couple of hours. Heat guns are generally not recommended as they can overheat the plastic and paint potentially causing blistering. Once it is warm, carefully use a plastic razor blade to lift the plastic, then use goo-gone to remove the remaining adhesive.

Some people have replaced them with clear-bra material, and some have just left them off after deciding that they are not needed.
Thanks so much John. I also will be reattaching the latch bezels
Wood Gas Electric blue Circle House numbering

- any suggestions on what kind of adhesive to use?

·
Administrator
7,918 Posts
Thanks so much John. I also will be reattaching the latch bezels View attachment 119388
- any suggestions on what kind of adhesive to use?
I haven't had to do it myself with those particular parts, but the best material for that type of thing is usually 3M Emblem Tape.
You can get it at just about any auto parts store and even home improvement stores. There is s general use double-stick foam tape, but you want the automotive variety.
It comes in various widths and can be a bit fiddly to work with, but it is diabolically sticky and will hold well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had to do it myself with those particular parts, but the best material for that type of thing is usually 3M Emblem Tape.
You can get it at just about any auto parts store and even home improvement stores. There is s general use double-stick foam tape, but you want the automotive variety.
It comes in various widths and can be a bit fiddly to work with, but it is diabolically sticky and will hold well.

Great help John!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts