Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
With care, you can apply heat to the faded plastic items to remove the white scaring from scratches etc. I've done this on the fender liners and door panels. Search youtube.
I think the Wipe New product achieves the same using in the same way, except that it uses chemicals instead of heat. It melts the surface requiring a time to cure after the application.

I will be trying the product on a few Sky parts, primarily on the lower rear bumper and the lower windshield plastic shroud. My interior has abrasions here and there from previous owners. I was thinking of trying it first on the doors sills to see how it does. I will remove both door sills, apply the product on one, then compare them after 24 hours.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In regards to using heat to remove scratches on interior pieces..... an owner of a professional detail shop..... they mostly deal with high end exotics... attempted to use heat on my l/f molding.... the one that houses the microphone..... it turned out shiny. Luckily I was able to purchase a replacement on this forum. Be very careful. He felt bad, but had the best of intentions..... so instead of scratches...I’m using a term often used on the Mecum Auctions.... It’s Patina. 😎

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've had zero luck with any of these "restorers". And I've tried about 20 different ones. Usually the faded plastic comes back with a vengeance. The best thing I've found is to just use an interior paint. Please report back to us next spring and let us know how it's looking. In order to get my Mustang ready for show competitions, I would have to use these and hated it because 2 weeks later it looked like I had never done anything to it.

Reactions: squilliam

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!

Cerakote DESTROYED my plastic trim and rear valence.
It is a million times worse than it was originally.
I have to paint it now... It's BAD.

DO NOT USE IT.

·
Registered
589 Posts
See my post before yours....:oops:

Reactions: squilliam

·
Registered
984 Posts
Do you have pictures of the destroyed trim from the "Cerakote"?

I was thinking of trying the Wipe-New product on my interior, but fear of any long term negative effects.

·
Registered
589 Posts
ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!

Cerakote DESTROYED my plastic trim and rear valence.
It is a million times worse than it was originally.
I have to paint it now... It's BAD.

DO NOT USE IT.
Did it turn very light grey??? My Mustang would do that. I finally just painted it black and was done with messing with it, other then to put Armor All on it for shows. Never had an issue again after I did that. My dad did the same thing you did to his Mustang convertible and then aske me what was going on. I asked if he used "Back to Black" and he said yes. I told him that was his issue. Then he asked me what to do and I said to paint it. He never did because he had an accident 2 days later and they had to replace the part...problem solved...LOL

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you have pictures of the destroyed trim from the "Cerakote"?

I was thinking of trying the Wipe-New product on my interior, but fear of any long term negative effects.
Did it turn very light grey??? My Mustang would do that. I finally just painted it black and was done with messing with it, other then to put Armor All on it for shows. Never had an issue again after I did that. My dad did the same thing you did to his Mustang convertible and then aske me what was going on. I asked if he used "Back to Black" and he said yes. I told him that was his issue. Then he asked me what to do and I said to paint it. He never did because he had an accident 2 days later and they had to replace the part...problem solved...LOL
I used the wipes.

For as bad as that may look, I promise you it looks even worse in person. It went from slightly faded to completely wrecked.

·
Registered
376 Posts
(Note to self: Don't use Cerakote on plastic trim)
OK note taken. In all seriousness I wonder what happened here as the product seems to have good reviews assuming we're talking about the same product.
Did you use this or something else?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow!

You are right!

No Exaggeration!

What a TOTAL DISASTER!

Thanks for the warning. It seems your only practical option is to replace what is damaged. The introduced irregularities in the surface texture render it ugly forever.

I would call the company and share with them all your damage. Who knows, maybe they will pay for new or second-hand replacement parts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you have an LKQ in your area they are a pretty decent salvage yard that I have used. Here is the link to a replacement valance off of a low 31k mile Redline out of Houston. It's cheaper if you go through eBay vs directly their site because of the shipping. It's the same exact vehicle though if you note the LKQ vehicle ID number.

You can also call your local one if they have a Sky or Solstice and just pay the $61 dollar cost to pick up yourself after they pull.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Get some "Back to Black" and see if you can fix it with that....just a suggestion. If it doesn't, you're only out $6.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts