Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after sitting in the Sky, and losing sleep over it for months now, I come to realize, I have no deposit on the car yet, and I will not put a deposit unless I know for sure I can get one sometime within the next 6 months. I do not want to pay a mark up, but hearing all the talk about the allocation and excess of orders, I come to realize I probably won't get one.... ever....

I Don't want the red-line, since the regular Sky will kill me on insurance anyway, and all this talk about GM going down......

My second choice (actually was my first choice for 2 years now) is the newest Hyundai Tiburon. It has the same power as the Sky, but in a 6 speed, and it looks pretty neat too. I think the Sky will soon look dated, as it should have been out oh maybe 3 years ago. (look at all the new modern cars coming out).. BUT the Tiburon has something like a 70/30 COG, but it drives amazingly.... does this mean it will be easy to lose control when going 95?

So, it there are any dealers up in here, let me know. If I can get one, I will put my deposit down oh in maybe 2 months (my dad's co-signing for me...hes being a pain)
plus I work in real estate and the market up in LA is shi$ right now.

Brian

·
Registered
107 Posts
Chap:

You can't seriously think that the SKY and the Tiburon are even on the same plane, can you? Though their power may be similar, the SKY is a real sports car, bred for the event, you know. But the Tiburon, that's a nurse's car. The SKY won't be dated because it has very classic lines, borrowing heavily from competition Jaguars and the Viper SRT-10. Don't think that the Tiburon will look good in twenty years: it won't.

As far as value, deposits and such: my dealer has not allowed any deposits, they have guaranteed that there would be no markup, and even if GM goes the way of French society, there will be no outstanding repurcussions on this model. Additionally, the SKY will have very good resale value and may become a collectors' car, and I feel very safe in stating the the Hyundai will be quite comfortable in the blue recycling can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Tiburon may be sporty but it's not in the same class as the sky.... except for price kind of.... The Tiburon isn't great through the twisties and even though the V6 version have more power than the sky it is FWD and weights a fair bit more. I test drove a GT V6 last year, it didn't ride great, and it didn't take corners as good as my GTP. Also it smelled terrible, according to the salesman it was the undercoating burning off and that it was normal..... It also made a constant pinging noise, again salesman said it was normal.... said it was the hydraulic lifters pressurizing.... Anyways If you think the Sky will look dated in a few years what makes you think the tiburon won't ? Also the resale on them is coming up but probably won't be anywhere near that of a sky. if you want a good looking car to drive around town in get a tiburon, if you want a car that looks, and wil most like run circles around a Tiburon on the track in any way shape or form, get a SKY

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Gotta say too I HATE the little bitty wheels on the Tib....:D

·
Registered
17,850 Posts
He Doesn't Deserve a SKY

He is ready to bail out....he was never an enthusiast to begin with....let him go...not worth saving....Good-bye

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
40 Posts
alright, hope I don't make everyone mad and please keep in mind I have a deposit down and I am getting it for my wife and I do think the car is nice but give me a break...the Saturn Sky is a true sports car...please, it is a Saturn, under 25k, and a 4cyl, I also own a Z06 now that is a true sports car and especially for the money....also no one has even driven the sky and only a selected few has even gotten to sit in it.....so how do we know how it is going to feel going down the road, how it is going to drive or anything else.
Don't be to harsh on me guys because I do love the car and can't wait to have it in my garage but unless you send it to Mallet it is not a true sports car...at least my definition and my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
bubblehead1965 said:
alright, hope I don't make everyone mad and please keep in mind I have a deposit down and I am getting it for my wife and I do think the car is nice but give me a break...the Saturn Sky is a true sports car...please, it is a Saturn, under 25k, and a 4cyl, I also own a Z06 now that is a true sports car and especially for the money....also no one has even driven the sky and only a selected few has even gotten to sit in it.....so how do we know how it is going to feel going down the road, how it is going to drive or anything else.
Don't be to harsh on me guys because I do love the car and can't wait to have it in my garage but unless you send it to Mallet it is not a true sports car...at least my definition and my 2 cents.
Those sound like :boxing: words :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
bubblehead1965 said:

I can assure you that the Sky is going to be a very enjoyable sports car. I have driven the Solstice which will handle and ride just like the SKy. To my amazment I was totally surprised at how well it handled and rode over bad roads. I am a total car freak, an very very critical of cars. When I got out of the Solstice I had the biggest grin on my face. It is by no means a Vette but there is not $30,000 difference either! I have owned Jaguars,M/Benz, MG's and a host of others. Just wait until you get behind the wheel,all doubts will leave you!:jester:

·
Registered
40 Posts
easy now...I'm with you guys :cheers:

But honestly I doubt I get behind the wheel to often as it is going to be my wives car and I am trying to ease her into the fact that I want the Z07 when it comes out...how can she say no, afterall I am giving her the SKY!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
bubblehead1965 said:
easy now...I'm with you guys :cheers:

But honestly I doubt I get behind the wheel to often as it is going to be my wives car and I am trying to ease her into the fact that I want the Z07 when it comes out...how can she say no, afterall I am giving her the SKY!!! :lol:
Saying NO Is innate with wives isn't it! oops did I say that out loud, I was only thinking it, darn fingers:lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey!

OK! I get your point, however I am preparing myself if I can't get a Sky. Financially there really isn't a problem but I don't wanna pay a mark up on ANY car, and I never said the Tiburon was in the same class as the Sky, and I know Hyundai's lose value, but I will keep the car forever, I have a 2000 Tiburon now, it rides PERFECT and its quick for an auto...

Keep in mind, GM is having lots of problems, and they may just go crazy in 2 years and produce more skys and sols and then where did your 'value' go? It will be worth a lot over a long period of time, but come on my Tiburon is 'worth' 5k, paid off, but people have offered me more because it is a special edition color. I'm not saying Hyundai is better, infact I despise the normal resale, but the model I have it limited now and in 40 or 50 years, you can't say those little 'korean POS's" are worth nothing.

BTW just got an insurance quote on a Sol, only $276 a month, the Tiburon SE was $311. through progressive, Ive shopped around and progressive was the cheapest for me.

Now the question..... if I put my deposit on one will I get one!! I'm not going to play games with the dealer.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
bubblehead1965 said:
lets see the Corvette started out a large overweight underpowered bad handling "Sports Car" that people with Jaguars, MG's and such laughed at... It took many years for the Corvette to come into it's own... the Sky and Solstice are both Sports Cars... no matter how you define them....

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
skyguy85 said:
...Keep in mind, GM is having lots of problems, and they may just go crazy in 2 years and produce more skys and sols and then where did your 'value' go? ....
notgonnahappen.com

Wilmington is supposedly at 3 shifts to keep up demand with Solstice and Sky now. You can't run a plant more than 24 hours a day 6 days a week without a break....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like Tim said, Solstice and Sky are both sports cars, designed as such, built as such. Just because a car has anything less than a V8 doesn't mean it's not a 'true' sports car. It was purposefully built to have a near 50/50 weight distribution. The Mazda Miata (4-cyl) costs less than the Sky, yet it's also called a sports car. The BMW Z4, costs less than a Corvette, also a sports car (6-cyl). As defined on a few different online sources:

"A sports car is a type of automobile designed for sporting performance ... [usually has] two seats and two doors, and are designed to provide excellent acceleration, top speed, and good looks."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

"a small low car with a high-powered engine; usually seats two persons"
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=sports car

"An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds."
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sports car

Two seats? Check. Two doors? Check. Performance and handling? About as good as you're probably gonna get for this kind of money so yes, check. Sports car? Yep! :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
-Tj- said:
Like Tim said, Solstice and Sky are both sports cars, designed as such, built as such. Just because a car has anything less than a V8 doesn't mean it's not a 'true' sports car. It was purposefully built to have a near 50/50 weight distribution. The Mazda Miata (4-cyl) costs less than the Sky, yet it's also called a sports car. The BMW Z4, costs less than a Corvette, also a sports car (6-cyl). As defined on a few different online sources:

"A sports car is a type of automobile designed for sporting performance ... [usually has] two seats and two doors, and are designed to provide excellent acceleration, top speed, and good looks."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

"a small low car with a high-powered engine; usually seats two persons"
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=sports car

"An automobile equipped for racing, especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds."
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sports car

Two seats? Check. Two doors? Check. Performance and handling? About as good as you're probably gonna get for this kind of money so yes, check. Sports car? Yep! :)
I agree the SKY is definitely a sports car. I owned a "60 Triumph TR-A roadster, silver/2 doors red leather interior/4 cyl, sound familiar? It was a great little, gave more than 1 small block V8 some irritation, I didn"t have the technical advances but it was a lot of fun to drive. Hell, it didn"t even have roll up windows, you had to store them in the trunk, fasten them in with DZEUS buttons. The top was the same way. 100 hp with twin SU side drafts carbs was really a potent little machine. It has been 40+ years since I sat behind the wheel of a true sports car & having ordered mine Tuesday this week It won't be long till I will have the pleasure of driving a true sports car again. SKY"s will bring the fun back into my driving. Top down and wind in your face, I sure missed it can't wait to feel this sensation again. ERNEST 07 SKY Silverpearl/Red Leather/Spoiler

1 - 16 of 16 Posts