Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
ggccg said:
Definitely not the one with the apostrophe!

That is for when you are referring to your "SKY's color" for example. The correct spelling for plural SKY is Skies. :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so does Toyota have a lot full of Camrys or Camries. I just was wondering if the pluralization changes because it is a name and not the word anymore...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd say...

As an English Instructor I'd say the correct "standard" English for the plural of Sky is Skies. However, due to the fact that it is a proper noun and deviation rules allowed, I'd say "Sky" without any s, es, ies, 's, can stand for the plural form on its own.

I saw 3 Sky earlier this week at the auto dealership.

I saw 3 Skies earlier this week at the auto dealership.

But I am a bit edgy about,

I saw 3 Skys(skitz) earlier this week at the auto dealership.

I saw 3 Skyes(?) earlier this week at the auto dealership.

I saw 3 Sky's(?) earlier this week at the auto dealership.

So as you can see, in a sentence, the second appears most correct. However, in informal spoken language, any form would work since you're just trying to get the point across.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For me, SKY is spelled with all caps
So plural is = SKYs (I saw 3 SKYs)
Possessive is SKY's (That CAI is that SKY's)
Plural Possessive = SKYs' (The SKYs' have all the best colors)

:thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Magna Sky said:
As an English Instructor I'd say the correct "standard" English for the plural of Sky is Skies. However, due to the fact that it is a proper noun and deviation rules allowed, I'd say "Sky" without any s, es, ies, 's, can stand for the plural form on its own.

I saw 3 Sky earlier this week at the auto dealership.

I saw 3 Skies earlier this week at the auto dealership.

But I am a bit edgy about,

I saw 3 Skys(skitz) earlier this week at the auto dealership.

I saw 3 Skyes(?) earlier this week at the auto dealership.

I saw 3 Sky's(?) earlier this week at the auto dealership.

So as you can see, in a sentence, the second appears most correct. However, in informal spoken language, any form would work since you're just trying to get the point across.
I want to go to his dealer if he has 3 skys!!!!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What got me thinking about it was when I drove by a row of SKYs on my way to work the other night... right at the starting line for the Boston Marathon. I didn't get to watch the coverage... did anyone see any cars?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sky is easy

The plural of "Sky" is not so hard. Anyone care to take a crack at the plural of "Solstice" ? Solstii ? Solstee ?? Please don't tell me it's "Solstices" ! :willy:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hysterical.

I'm going with Skys for the pluralization.

I think I'm partial to Soltices for the plural of a Soltice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is "Solstices," as "Solsti" would necessitate the Latin spelling "Solstus" in order to have a pluralized spelling of "Solsti."

·
Registered
95 Posts
WDI-SKY said:
It is "Solstices," as "Solsti" would necessitate the Latin spelling "Solstus" in order to have a pluralized spelling of "Solsti."
Well, you can see that obviously I'm not a Latin student ! :lol: I think I'm going to go with Skys and Sols ! :cheers:

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
did anyone hear of poetic license...an author can use almost any usage they wish..but as one of our members recited...A MIRACLE...that was brilliant

MarlboroMike....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
For me, SKY is spelled with all caps
So plural is = SKYs (I saw 3 SKYs)
Possessive is SKY's (That CAI is that SKY's)
Plural Possessive = SKYs' (The SKYs' have all the best colors)

:thumbs:
Im with Rick on this.

Admittedly, the plural to Solstice is much cooler. (Solei or Solstii)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Skys for me all the way. We are talking about a trade name for a vehicle. If we were talking about what is above us as in cloudy skies...only then would I use the "ies".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts