Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the difference? I know the Chrome-plated wheels were an $545 option on the 2008 Sky’s. And I don’t see PD5 on Service Parts Identification sticker in my glove compartment.

I know aluminum can be polished to look just like chrome. This is what I have on my car. I think it’s a Polished Aluminum wheel (QF8). Am I mistaken?

Can anyone help explain or upload a picture showing a Chrome-plated Aluminum wheel (PD5)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
IMHO the chromed wheels are unsuitable for anyone in Northern climes where they use salt on the roads in winter. That can trash the rims very quickly and rechroming is expensive.

The polished alloy wheels look just as nice but the upkeep is much less - repolish every decade or so unless you drive the car to you local ski hill (which I doubt many people do)

Some manufacturers refused to sell their cars with chrome rims in 'snowy' areas (Jaguar is an example - they just didn't want to have to deal with warranty claims due to salt).

Reactions: Catonfarmer

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The polished wheels are easily identified as they will never have the shine of chrome. They come with clear coat but over time that will start to fail and they need to be polished.
I think you mean the "painted" wheels were clear-coated. I do not believe the polished wheels (which were only available on the RL) were clear-coated.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
The polished wheels were clear coated as well. The aluminum needs to be protected from exposure to O2 as it creates a coating that is very dull in appearance. When we polish them, if we dont put on a protective coating they go dull very quickly. One of the advantages of Aluminum is it forms a protective coating that then is very stable. But its not shiny. Like copper, if you want the metal to stay pretty, you must protect it from oxygen.

We ran chrome wheels on the Dragon for several years but the were not exposed to salt. They are now on a car in Taos so we will see.

My experience is with daily drivers in the club and polished wheels. They need to be polished at least annually because they are out in the environment most of the year. But they seem to hold up very well.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well, I had the polished wheels on my Daily driver for over 100K miles and they never needed to be re-polished.

Now, this was in the Texas heat, so no salt or snow...maybe that makes a difference.

Reactions: Catonfarmer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts