Saturn Sky Forum banner

Will Sky Red Line early availability affect your decision ?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Pining for a Lightning Bolt

In 1976 I purchased a used 1970 Opel GT to replace "dad's car" which I had been driving. When it was hit by a drunk driver, I bought a crappy 1969 to tool around in while the first was being rebuilt. It eventually got whacked again, and that was that. The 1969 was mechanically unsound, and one day the moaning differential finally stopped screaming - but was visible in my rear view mirror as I coasted down the road...

I've had other sports cars since then, but I always loved those Opel GTs (and still do.) When I first saw photos of the Saturn Sky I fell in love with the lines, and immediately got on the waiting list (mine is due in any day.) I felt that the creased front fenders and rounded butt were very reminiscent of my Opel GTs (which I always wished were open roadsters and not fastbacks).

Anyway, a few weeks ago I saw the announcement that Opel was re-introducing the GT badge, and that the car would be virtually identical to the Saturn Sky (with the Red Line engine). The new Opel GT will be built in Wilmington, right alongside the Sky...

So, the poll was "did the Red Line make you think about changing your order?" MY response was "OTHER" because it's not the Red Line that I'd die for - it's another Opel GT. In fact, in a couple years I am planning to give this Sky to my daughter now serving in the US Army, and I will replace it with another car - either an Opel GT if I can get one legally licensed in the United States (regardless of cost, or close too it) or a Saturn Sky Red Line rebadged with the Opel GT badges and grille bar.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Other

I voted "OTHER" because I really wanted the redline from the beginning. I have been looking for a sports car to replace my MR2 Turbo since Nov. 2000. I have always wanted something with around the same power (atleast 200hp and 200lbsft torque). After a few years passed and small high horsepower cars dwindled, I began to compromise and look at cars like the Mazdaspeed Miata (not really a bad car, just not enough power). I then compromised again and said "well, if I can get a more manly looking roadster, that handles good, I will go without the power". So I decided to go with the base sky, because it was gorgeous and didn't look like a chick car (no offense ladies). About a week prior to putting my money down to be #1 on the list, I was talking to my wife about how the sky would be the perfect car for me if it had 200hp. Well I was scanning the net the same night and found the rumor about the redline (back in Aug of 05) with possibly 260hp! I made the decision right then and there to purchase the base if the redline did not come out, but that the RL was the perfect car for me. When it came time to order my base Sky, the RL was still a rumor, but the GXP had been announced, so I switched over to the RL list. Some may say that this was due to the RL announcement, but I can tell you, put both side by side and I would still choose the RL. If I had purchased the base and then the RL had been annouced, I would have been one very angry customer. I think "hurding" customers into a base version is the wrong approach. I am glad that Saturn did not do this. By doing so they took the first step in building a trust with me concerning their business. Most automakers today are all about themselves and will formulate their commercials, signs, and sales to make you believe one thing and then they will do another. So, my answer is "Other" because I have wanted the RL since Nov. 2000.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
:cheers: I replied with "Other" because I wanted a grown-up toy to let me have as much or even more fun I had when I had my 1990 CRX Si that I auto-x'd a lot. The RedLine will do the trick very well and it will be a fairly exclusive and inexpensive car to have. Can't beat those attributes!!! :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm counted to others because in Germany starting next year there will only the turbo 2.0 SIDI engine be available. I'm shure this would be a good and economic engine - I drive first german 2.0 turbo (1992) with 204 HP and it's a very powerfull or fuel saving engine just like you want to drive it.

Nico

·
Registered
138 Posts
no as soon as i can turn the key and gas cap is good enought for me. but with my skyline most likley in the fall i will have some more time to put down some extra cash and then this way less of a loan.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am driving a sky now. I also put a deposit on a redline and am 3rd on the dealer's waiting list. I will trade or sell and move up to the redline when it is in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nope, I prefer to add a supercharger to my base Sky than go Turbo. I know they say virtually no turbo lag, and you get crazy boost at 2500RPM, but I know any noticeable lag will drive me nuts. If I can get over 200HP with a supercharger then I will be a very happy camper.

I do wish the base Sky had direct injection though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Already have a SKY and very happy.:thumbs: If I had the opportunity I might order a Redline later and sell my SKY. I dont think it will be difficult to sell a SKY this year.
:cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mo Power

I will buy any factory authorized aftermarket power enhancement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ooops, I just got in line for the RL. Please disregard previous statement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
turbo

we wanted more power. the first available date to make deposits for the new line was june 01. we made our deposit on june 02 as #3 on the list. we are excited about the turbo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure if I need another zoomer..

I currently have a WRX that I am keeping with my sky.

But I won't say no... I may trade my sky in later for a redline and trade my WRX in for something economical.

Nothing is writ in stone yet.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Change of Plans...

My daughter said that she wanted the SKY now, not "in a couple of years." Therefore I have accelerated my plans to replace my base SKY and will probably be driving a Red Line before the first Opel GT comes off the line...

·
Registered
59 Posts
No more High Test gas for me! I'll be just fine in 4 months with my regular 4 banger.

Just give me a fun to drive normally aspirated car from now on. Let the people with deep pockets go faster.

My WRX has taught me this one very important lesson...

The right foot is directly attached to the wallet.

Wait a minute, did I say I was waiting four months for a car??? A Saturn, no less??? Some one either slap me or convince me I did the right thing!:rolleyes:

JV

·
Registered
342 Posts
With the slow start-up of production of the Sky RL, the poll should have asked

Will a Sky Red Line prolonged wait for delivery affect your decision?
:D

Ahhh, it wouldn't have mine... but I'm definitely a glutton for punishment!!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts