Saturn Sky Forum banner

Would you buy the OEM luggage rack if it was still available?

• YES

• NO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing 99% of us would buy the Luggage Rack, just for the amazing visual appeal ~

You have to admit, it does set off the entire look of the rear view.

So who would agree with me/
I would pay as high as $700 for a 3D printed edition....even without the mounting hardware.

Heavy-duty epoxy would hold it in place, if it was just decorative.

WHO HERE HAS, OR KNOWS ANYONE WILLING TO TAKE ON THIS 3D PRINT JOB ?
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille
Grille Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

?
Hood Automotive lighting Grille Yellow Bumper

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
I'm guessing 99% of us would buy the Luggage Rack, just for the amazing visual appeal ~

I would pay as high as $700 for a 3D printed edition....even without the mounting hardware.

WHO HERE HAS, OR KNOWS ANYONE WILLING TO TAKE ON THIS 3D PRINT JOB ?
?
While it is tempting to apply the 3D Printing tool to all problems, the luggage rack is actually better suited to a technology like vacuum forming.

I have been looking into a reproduction, but will only do it if it can be dimensionally equivalent to the real thing, so I am looking for a rack or the installation template to borrow long enough to confirm dimensions.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I think your guess of 99% acceptance is way off...it's probably more like 1%.
Back in the day, you could just buy them at a dealership, but no one did (which is why there are so few around).

Reactions: marlboromike

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
The amount of people that have a 3d printer that size is slim to none, and i doubt plastic would last that long in the elements, let along not break under the weight with straps.
About the printer size I agree, but 3D printing is not the only technologu out there. As far a s durability, the original one was plastic, there are several UV-resistant plastics, and paint is a really good protectant.

I think your guess of 99% acceptance is way off...it's probably more like 1%.
Back in the day, you could just buy them at a dealership, but no one did (which is why there are so few around).
True, but there is a new population of owners with probably less of a purist bent, and there has been quite a lot of interest on the forums lately. Also, if there are 50,000 Kappas left of the original number, 1% is 500, so not an insignificant market.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Just say it is UGLY....why mince words? You can say the truth...sometimes. It goes like the fly swatter.
Your opinion is just that: yours. Just like whitewall tires, some people like them, others think they are ugly.

We all have the right to our own opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts

WHO HERE HAS, OR KNOWS ANYONE WILLING TO TAKE ON THIS 3D PRINT JOB ? View attachment 119654 View attachment 119655
?
View attachment 119653
I think they detract from the beauty of the car. I would rather carry my bags on my lap then use a luggage rack. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
These luggage racks are the greatest accessories the car world has ever known. Don’t @ me.

When I first saw one, it reminded me of a space-age version of the old school louvers that Datsuns and Camaros/firebirds used to have. It’s the style of it that hits home (would never use it for luggage).

Back in ‘09-‘10 I had NO idea that kappa parts would disappear. I was SO dumb to not have bought one (or ten) when I had the chance.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
These luggage racks are the greatest accessories the car world has ever known. Don’t @ me.

When I first saw one, it reminded me of a space-age version of the old school louvers that Datsuns and Camaros/firebirds used to have. It’s the style of it that hits home (would never use it for luggage).

Back in ‘09-‘10 I had NO idea that kappa parts would disappear. I was SO dumb to not have bought one (or ten) when I had the chance.
Serg....u r no longer invited.....LOL

·
Registered
381 Posts
Unsure about this one…

Some days I like it, and some days I‘m not that enthused.
My MGB came with one, and I can’t say I‘ve ever used it, but then again the MG is spacious when compared to the Sky.

I will say this-every time I want to clay bar or wax the car, I have to remove it to do any kind of a good job.
That gets a little old.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would want a luggage rack for the sole purpose of carrying a spare tyre for long multi-day trips. It should be able to withstand the weight of an original wheel+tyre too, so that I have somewhere to carry the damaged wheel until a tyre shop is found.

I think the RevoRack or something like that is the best solution for me. With gigantic suction cups and removable. I'd only ever install it for a trip. Once back home off it goes along with the space saver spare.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Unsure about this one…

Some days I like it, and some days I‘m not that enthused.
My MGB came with one, and I can’t say I‘ve ever used it, but then again the MG is spacious when compared to the Sky.
Now that you mention it, it was much better than the Kappas for space. We had an MGC for years (same look as the MGB but with a straight 6 engine) and as the spare tire fit in a well in the trunk floor you had a fairly large volume for luggage. Our car had a tad less as we had the top that was removed and stowed in the trunk (it was an alternate to the fold back top) but you really didn't need a rack on the boot lid.

Reactions: agent008
1 - 20 of 35 Posts