Saturn Sky Forum banner

Would you buy the OEM luggage rack if it was still available?

• YES

• NO

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ll take a luggage rack.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Unsure about this one…

Some days I like it, and some days I‘m not that enthused.
My MGB came with one, and I can’t say I‘ve ever used it, but then again the MG is spacious when compared to the Sky.

I will say this-every time I want to clay bar or wax the car, I have to remove it to do any kind of a good job.
That gets a little old.
My '70 MGB had one also. Looked nice but i never once used it for luggage and I'd probably feel the same way about an original 'luggage rack' on my Sky.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Interesting comments about the luggage rack. I'm in favor of leaving all of those extras off of the SKY. The comment about detailing the SKY and having to take the luggage carrier off, would be a show stopper for me. As many have said, it doesn't do anything for the original style that makes it so popular.

There is a need for luggage space, which we added to ours when we bought it 10 years ago. I always tell people that the reason to have the trailer is: "My wife likes to take her purse along." I figure I have about $800 dollars after upgrading in the car top unit and trailer, all used. Bought new DOT rated tires, new taillight kit, and body shop matching paint. We use it on out of town trips and it holds a lot more than a luggage rack. Golf clubs fit. GM doesn't recommend trailers, but the Curt Manufacturing 1" receiver trailer hitch, made for a SKY, is hardly noticable without the trailer. Keeping the trailer in mind when on the Interstates can be a problem, I forget it is back there.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have given thought to a hitch mounted storage box. I have not been able to find something that is sized appropriate for the Sky, yet meet our specific need. I am leaning toward having something welded-up to mount a 48 gallon Rubbermaid ActionPacker.

It wouldn't be pretty, just functional to accommodate two sets of golf clubs. The few longest clubs would still have to be stored in the Sky trunk.
Rectangle Gas Technology Electronic device Plastic

Picnic anyone?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have given thought to a hitch mounted storage box. I have not been able to find something that is sized appropriate for the Sky, yet meet our specific need. I am leaning toward having something welded-up to mount a 48 gallon Rubbermaid ActionPacker.

It wouldn't be pretty, just functional to accommodate two sets of golf clubs. The few longest clubs would still have to be stored in the Sky trunk.
View attachment 119715
Picnic anyone?
I’ve seen cars with these at our club…
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The problem with that type of carrier, is the clubs would be a lot taller than the car. With the ActionPacker idea, we could travel overnight with some type of tamper-resistance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Be awesome to have one.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The reason that I didn't put the $400.00 dealer installed (Installation extra) oem luggage rack on my new car was because I didn't want holes drilled in it and I thought that it would be hard to keep clean under it. And I thought that a small trailer would be a better option. I chose neither because the best option was to use the other car in that circumstance.

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, Intercooler, CAT delete & ECM Tune. DIY tunnel brace. ProBeam.
252 Posts
I’d consider it for the right price. Not wild about drilling holes, so if it would be something that was removable, that would be even better. Certainly would be nice to throw a small bag on top that is just a touch too big to squeeze in the trunk with the top down.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wonder how many were actually ordered/put on cars when they were new?
Wonder if the demand is just because there aren’t any…
Drilling holes would be a deal breaker for me

21 - 40 of 48 Posts