Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know anything about the polyshield coating? Our dealer is adding it on automatically to the cars for $795! I want to know if it really works and worth it, or if it is a pricey gimmick. The dealer told us it was a factory-applied clear coat paint protectant. Anybody else getting this option?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No, at least not being forced to take anything I dont want. :nono:

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am not familiar with any paint protectants by that name. Local dealers here like to add some sort of teflon based paint protectant/shield under the Simonize name. They are generally regarded as being overpriced for how good they actually work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The reason why the price is so high is because you are paying for a warranty. I assume the coat comes with some kind of warranty? There is profit packed in there also. But, overall, you are paying for the warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We sell a product called "Saturn Guard" that is essentially the same thing. Ours is $199 and comes with a warranty. HOWEVER, if you order a car, we don't put it on there if you don't want it, even though it's a good idea because it does have a warranty. Ours covers both the inside and outside - resists spills on seats and carpet and resist scratches and fading of the exterior paint.

I would check the other cars on the lot to see how much they are charging for it on an ION. I'm betting it's not $795, because no one would pay an extra $795 on an ION for a clearcoat protectant. However, on a SKY .. a lot of people will.

For the record, Saturn of Germantown does NOT require any add-ons (such as pinstripes, alarm systems, paint protectors, etc) and are not charging over MSRP. ;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My sales agreement includes a charge for that, but it is 389 not 795. The treatment is supposed to keep bird poo and the like from etching paint.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had that put on my Saturn 2000 LS when I bought it. It was called "Touch of Class". My car still looks brand new and the leather seats look great.

That being said, the car has been garaged and well taken cared of. Other than the normal expected nicks on the front from small rocks and pebbles thrown up from cars ahead of me. As far as I know, I have no idea if adding the coating made a difference. For people who do not take as much care of their vehicle as the should, it may be worthwhile?

I cannot remember how much I paid for it but it was a pretty penny. I think it was close to what you stated.

In the case of my Sky, I do not think I will have the coating added.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our dealer called Thursday and asked if we wanted it. She quoted a price of $300.00 for exterior and leather protection.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ROPER said:
Our dealer called Thursday and asked if we wanted it. She quoted a price of $300.00 for exterior and leather protection.

Of course, you know everything costs more in Kalifornia 'cause we have more $.:lol: :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Theres an internet site....

managed by a gentlemen that makes a living repainting cars. He uses PPG and has a Q & A forum set up similar to this one. When I was in the process of restoring my last project and asked him this question. " On a new paint job, how long should I wait before applying a quality wax or sealant." His answer was ....on a new vehicle or repaint, wait at least 3 months in order to allow the under layer of paint to completely cure. Applying any top coat before this time frame greatly slows the curing process and could lead to paint problems down the road. My question to him was regarding PPG's Base coat Clear coat system. For this reason... nothing goes on my car before the 3 months minimum as I am assumming the SKY has a BC/CC applied. Come to think of it though, by the time I get it, the 3 months will probably be up.:cheers: Any thoughts pro or con?? Yikes, 7 more post and I can show you my project as my avatar!!!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
vairman said:
managed by a gentlemen that makes a living repainting cars. He uses PPG and has a Q & A forum set up similar to this one. When I was in the process of restoring my last project and asked him this question. " On a new paint job, how long should I wait before applying a quality wax or sealant." His answer was ....on a new vehicle or repaint, wait at least 3 months in order to allow the under layer of paint to completely cure. Applying any top coat before this time frame greatly slows the curing process and could lead to paint problems down the road. My question to him was regarding PPG's Base coat Clear coat system. For this reason... nothing goes on my car before the 3 months minimum as I am assumming the SKY has a BC/CC applied. Come to think of it though, by the time I get it, the 3 months will probably be up.:cheers: Any thoughts pro or con?? Yikes, 7 more post and I can show you my project as my avatar!!!
This is true for most aftermarket paint shops because they don't bake on the paint as the manufacturer does. A few of the larger shops might, but most do not. Baking the paint cures it and doesn't require the same wait period for polish. Most "shields" are a type of polish and my wife decided we needed the Saturn finish package our dealer offered. However, they also covered the interior, to include replacing upholstery if it ever stained and couldn't be cleaned.:D And it was only about $400.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can see how baking would make....

TexSon said:
This is true for most aftermarket paint shops because they don't bake on the paint as the manufacturer does. A few of the larger shops might, but most do not. Baking the paint cures it and doesn't require the same wait period for polish. Most "shields" are a type of polish and my wife decided we needed the Saturn finish package our dealer offered. However, they also covered the interior, to include replacing upholstery if it ever stained and couldn't be cleaned.:D And it was only about $400.
A big difference. The gentlemen I spoke of works full time for a GM dealership. Unless things have changed for him, he has a very good paint booth but I don't believe he has the facilities for baking. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
moni6 said:
Does anybody know anything about the polyshield coating? Our dealer is adding it on automatically to the cars for $795! I want to know if it really works and worth it, or if it is a pricey gimmick. The dealer told us it was a factory-applied clear coat paint protectant. Anybody else getting this option?
:confused:
What factory? it is not listed as an option... I think he is feeding you a line of BS there.... If it is like the old Polyshield coating they used to charge extra for it was not worth the money because it would wear off after a short time...
The only thing my dealer offered was a Door Ding Insurance for about 75 dollars, It also covers Hail damage... I thought it was a good buy, so I took it..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SkyMan 07 said:
What factory? it is not listed as an option... I think he is feeding you a line of BS there.... If it is like the old Polyshield coating they used to charge extra for it was not worth the money because it would wear off after a short time...
The only thing my dealer offered was a Door Ding Insurance for about 75 dollars, It also covers Hail damage... I thought it was a good buy, so I took it..
Our salesperson told us it was the Saturn factory that sprayed on this clear coat of protectant. They are doing it to all of their pre-ordered cars. The graphite demo had it on it's paint. It looked very shiny. I did not ask how long it would last. I need to do that. They gave the impression it was a permanent protection against oxidation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
moni6 said:
Our salesperson told us it was the Saturn factory that sprayed on this clear coat of protectant. They are doing it to all of their pre-ordered cars. The graphite demo had it on it's paint. It looked very shiny. I did not ask how long it would last. I need to do that. They gave the impression it was a permanent protection against oxidation.
It sounds like your dealership is trying to make you pay for a FREE factory clearcoat. All of the cars come with it and from the sounds of it, your dealership is trying to charge you for something that just comes on all the cars anyways... notice that no one else has heard of this, and yet the dealer claims that "all" pre-ordered cars are getting it?

I would tell them you're not paying for clearcoat because it's SUPPOSED to be clearcoated.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
moni6 said:
Don;t pay an extra cent for it.. he is Lieing through his teeth, I already have my Sky and it had no such charge on it, and as the last poster said if it is the factory clearcoat then it is included at NO CHARGE, I would call his hand on it and tell him flat out he is a lier:nono:

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
First Place Finish is what my dealer installed on mine (as an option that I chose). It protects the interior and exterior from fading, etc. It does come with a 5 yr warranty(the ones I've had), where they will replace your carpet, repaint, etc. if anything happens to it under normal use (not scratches, dings, etc). It just protects the finish and mine was put on before I picked her up (dealer applied). It was $399. Some people think it's not worth it, but I don't want to take the chance. I had it on my 01 SC2 and 95 SL1 also. The fabric protectant is kinda like scotchguard for your interior upholstery.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
NCBlue said:
First Place Finish is what my dealer installed on mine (as an option that I chose). It protects the interior and exterior from fading, etc. It does come with a 5 yr warranty(the ones I've had), where they will replace your carpet, repaint, etc. if anything happens to it under normal use (not scratches, dings, etc). It just protects the finish and mine was put on before I picked her up (dealer applied). It was $399. Some people think it's not worth it, but I don't want to take the chance. I had it on my 01 SC2 and 95 SL1 also. The fabric protectant is kinda like scotchguard for your interior upholstery.
I have found out that usually if you have a good dealer that if anything like that happens in the first 5 years anyway they will cover it... I had a 88 pontiac Gran Prix and after 4 years the paint started peeling on it, they repainted the car at no charge to me.
Scotchguard is a stain and water repellant, not a fadeing protectant, besides read your owners manual, I think you will find that the cloth interior comes with it already. and the leather just needs to be cleaned and conditioned every once in a while.

·
Registered
122 Posts
every dealership offers some kind of protectant for interior/exterior of their cars (we have a generica term for all of it: "mop and slop").

more than likely, your salesman doesn't know. he was probalby told that by a manager, so if you question him about it, he probably will not know.

saturn does not offer a factory applied paint protectant as an option.

all the SoCal dealers are trying to make a little $ on the Skys (which is fine in my opinion), but they just need to be honest about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts