Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my wife got her Vue in June, I fell in love with XM radio. I went out and got a Tao XM2GO and the home and car kits. With one XM radio subscription, the 2nd through 5th are only $6.99 per month more. The 1st car kit went into my Subaru and I picked up another antenna for my "surprise Sky". So, here are the details.

Where the wire is not visible I used "paint" to draw in roughly where it is hidden.

Pic 1 - I placed the heavy magnet antenna just in front of the radio antenna and routed the wire over the trunk deck. My Sky has a little black putty at the corner inside the trunk so I tucked it nicely into the putty to hold it more securely.

Pic 2 - I fished it up through the roof arm flap under the rightmost side to avoid tangling it up when raising the roof.

Pic 3 - From the flap, I began to tuck it behind the passenger seat rear panel just past the seatbelt opening. I used a knife edge to gently pry back the plastic and push the cable a little ways down behind the panel. Tuck this all the way to the center consol and run it down behind the seat (excess tied off after finishing). From behind the seat, I ran it under the shift consol all the way along the plastic under the glovebox (pic 4).

Pic 5 - Under the glove box, curl it back 135 degrees or so. You can see a bit of the line under the glovebox bolt. Run this behind the plastic to the start of the silver molding.

(skip to next piost for the rest of the pics since 5 is the limit)

Pic 6 - Just under the power outlet, I ran it up right into the car unit holder. I adhered the unit via a double sided pad included with the car kit that fits perfectly between the glovebox and center consol.

Pic 7 - The TAO has a good FM modulator built-in, so for clean look, I don't even use the 1/8" cable. Otherwise, find a 12" cable and run it from the AUX input to the XM car unit holder.

I drove around for about an hour tonight and never lost the XM signal. Hope this helps someone out there....:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks good! My XM unit (MyFi) looks almost identical. And my antannae wire and magnet antannae are in the same spot. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but...

you could just use one XM subscription for all your devices if you can solder:

http://www.devilsreaper.com/dr-xm.htm
...for the $6.99 extra (on the XM family plan with 2 radios, other is in my wife's 2006 Vue), I'll save my sanity before I attempt rewiring my Tao unit. Great info and with my technical background, it seems doable.

But......I'm lazy and $7 / month is nothing more than one less "out to lunch" for me a month (which is also healthier). :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Delphi XM

I bought a Delphi XM SKYFi2 radio. I'm not sure how I want to mount it. I don't want to glue anything to the dash. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I just lay it on the passenger seat. Not very user freindly that way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Skyfi and I installed it in the Sky using a flexible gooseneck style extension I attached to the inner bolt on the passenger side seat. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now that's something I never would have thought of! Can you elaborate on what you did? Post a few more pics? I think you've just solved my problem!:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Decent installation with the TAO (same one I have). Does anyone know if the XM feature has an option to display the artist and song at the same time on the OEM Monsoon radio? When you pay the additional $199 do you get a few months free?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts