Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car seems to be hesitating a lot. Little stuttery. Little bit of a loss of power overall, more so at the mid range where i usually pick up the most power.
There is what almost sounds like a slight exhaust leak, but i cant quite identify it or hunt it down, as its only noticeable while driving.

Could this be exhaust? or possibly something else?
Spark plugs are new(and gapped properly), air filter is DDMworks CAI(needs oiled, but clean). No air leaks i can find...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well...don't oil your air filter...it'll foul your MAF. How many miles do you have? Is it a turbo? Could need to have the valves cleaned. Don't let a shop talk you into it. There are only 2 ways to clean them. The first and the one I know works is walnut blasting. The 2nd is to get a can of CRC valve and intake cleaner and find a spot after the throttle body, start the car and follow the directions on the can. Not sure if it works. Many say it does, a few say it doesn't. And then change your oil afterward.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had similar issues way back. Mine were the following:
1. Loose turbo bolts that caused a small gap between my turbo exhaust manifold. Also caused my turbo gasket to break. Sounded like exhaust leak.
2. If you have the standard Catalytic Converter on your car and you have more than 80k miles think about going to a high flow Cat. The cats clog up and the air flow through the Cat can cause a lot of hesitation/stuttering at higher speeds and accelerations.

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys
To specify, i have a base model, no turbo.
The filter for the CAI from DDMWorks says it needs oiled...whats the ups and downs of doing it?
Car is much higher mileage at this point, and does have a stock Cat, but again, base model.
Ive looked at getting a highflow cat, and a better exhaust manifold. Extremely possible that the bolts could be loose due to recently changing out the waterpump. Thats a big reason i was leaning toward exhaust leak. But i didnt know how much that would affect performance on a base model...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks guys
To specify, i have a base model, no turbo.
The filter for the CAI from DDMWorks says it needs oiled...whats the ups and downs of doing it?
Car is much higher mileage at this point, and does have a stock Cat, but again, base model.
Ive looked at getting a highflow cat, and a better exhaust manifold. Extremely possible that the bolts could be loose due to recently changing out the waterpump. Thats a big reason i was leaning toward exhaust leak. But i didnt know how much that would affect performance on a base model...
Okay....the 2.4 is notorious for a plugged cat at about 80k. Be in on the kappa platform, or a Malibu, Terrain, G6, ATS, etc. It's as common as the WP issue on the 2.0L kappas. I'm truly surprised that there has not been a recall on that motor for that issue. An exhaust leak, if small enough, will change sound after the car warms up. Much like the manifold gaskets are common on the 5.7L hemi, the sound does change on them after they are up to operating temp as well....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay....the 2.4 is notorious for a plugged cat at about 80k. Be in on the kappa platform, or a Malibu, Terrain, G6, ATS, etc. It's as common as the WP issue on the 2.0L kappas. I'm truly surprised that there has not been a recall on that motor for that issue. An exhaust leak, if small enough, will change sound after the car warms up. Much like the manifold gaskets are common on the 5.7L hemi, the sound does change on them after they are up to operating temp as well....
All the reading ive done and i havent really heard anyone talk about faulty issues on the Cat. I see a ton of people doing high flow upgrades. I guess maybe thats a part of the reason. lol
Im nearly double that 80k mark, so that would definitely point to a possibility for the issue.
Thanks for the info. I may invest in a higher flow cat.

Any recommendations anyone? I know DDMWorks has one, i think hahn does?
Whos is best?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts