Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read article today from the Automotive News, that GM is considering uping their production on the Sky and Soltice by increasing line speed. Currently the plant builds 155 vehicles a day or 6.5 per hour. But it would take some major overhaul of the assembly since the current paint system can only paint up to 7 vehicles per hour. But the article states that Bob Lutz wants the capacity boost"as soon as possible."

·
Registered
422 Posts
Here is the article:

DETROIT -- With orders backed up for several months, General Motors may build more Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

"It's become clear that we need considerably more capacity," says Robert Lutz, GM vice chairman and global vice president of product development. "We are certainly studying a capacity increase."
Lutz would not commit on when GM would make a decision but said he wants the capacity boost "as soon as possible."
Adding labor and tooling and making other assembly upgrades to the Wilmington, Del., plant could cost tens of millions of dollars. GM builds the Solstice, Sky and Opel GT at the Wilmington plant. Opel has not yet launched the GT.

Demand for the Pontiac Solstice is at 35,000 units a year, Lutz said in an interview with Automotive News. The Sky roadster is sold out through the end of the year and in some regions well into next year, Jill Lajdziak, Saturn's general manager, said at a recent press event in San Francisco.
Demand for the Pontiac Solstice, shown, and the Saturn Sky is surpassing supply.
The plant is tooled to build 20,000 to 40,000 vehicles a year. Pontiac plans to build 20,000 Solstices. Saturn will likely get 10,000 Skys annually.

"With two-seat cars, you have to be very careful how you plan capacity," Lutz says. "Once everybody on the block has one, demand sort of tapers off.

"It continues, but it continues at a lower level, so you don't want to have the added capacity come on just when you're over that first peak."

Lutz says the Wilmington plant can handle "way more" than 40,000 units a year.
GM is going through the complex process of determining the cost of the additional labor, supplier capability, tooling and plant adjustments needed to increase production.
Wilmington is a three-shift plant, so it could not offer overtime other than on weekends, says a GM source who asked to not be identified.

The plant currently builds 6.5 vehicles an hour or about 155 a day.

(Info: that's calculated with 24h/day - if count only 21h/day it's 7.4)

"To increase production, we'd have to increase line speed, and that typically requires more manpower," the source says. "There could be bottlenecks in the system -- let's say the paint shop, for example, can only paint seven vehicles per hour -- so it would require tweaking the whole system.

"Is it possible? Yes, but it would likely cost something."

The cost to increase line speed by two to three vehicles per hour can be nominal, but a source says more extensive plant upgrade could cost "tens of millions of dollars."

You may e-mail Jamie LaReau at [email protected]

·
Registered
325 Posts
I agree too, who cares if you have to wait a year. The long wait makes the cars that much more special.

Although some additional volume means more aftermarket support. More wheels, body kits, engine modifications, hard tops, etc..

I actually will probably keep my Red Line stock though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My biggest concern is if they start cranking out more cars per day...will the quality be likely to suffer??? :confused:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Kappa production

Keep cool everybody :cool:

There is nothing absolutly new in what Bob Lutz said. From the beginning GM planned to produce ~ 36,000 cars/year:
Sol ~ 20,000
Sky ~ 10,000
rest ~ 6,000 (Opel GT and maybe others)
This planning isn't reached yet, in the first 4 month the total kappa production was 10,360 units that would be in ~31,000 units in 2006 CY. The target of 36,000 units is not reached. Therefore an upgrade of the plant is necessary to eliminate the "needle ears" in production flow. I think Lutz will not raise production over 40k/year.

"With two-seat cars, you have to be very careful how you plan capacity," Lutz says. "Once everybody on the block has one, demand sort of tapers off."

I think they have learned their lesson from the problems with the Opel Speedster (Lotus) in the last years:

planned max 10,000 cars in max 3 years
reached ~ 7,000 cars in over 5 years.

This was an example with big differences in planning capacities and real demand.

Anyway let Europe and the rest of the worlds market also get some cars :D

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
No, Bob Lutz is considering a whole new platform. They have been after him for awhile to add one but they have been saying no.

Well I hope he keeps saying no, I think it would be a big mistake.Waste all that money for another platform, and 4 years down the line everyone has a Solstice or Sky that want's one and order's drop.
And they won't be special anymore.

You know have wasted all that money.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
deluke said:
Big mistake if they do it. That's what makes these car's special. They are limited supply.
So limited that people who have had orders placed since January still don't have a TPW!:mad: :brentil: So limited that I may not get my car until the end of the summer!:nono: Increase the dam speed of the line!:banghead:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rick112 said:
So limited that people who have had orders placed since January still don't have a TPW!:mad: :brentil: So limited that I may not get my car until the end of the summer!:nono: Increase the dam speed of the line!:banghead:
So limited that my car is MIA :willy: Imaged 2/23, invoiced 4/27, as of 5/15 ??? (not on a train? not in the CA rail depot? not on a truck? just my luck!)

·
Registered
342 Posts
GM may build more Skys, Solstices

GM may build more Skys, Solstices
Lutz: Added capacity is clearly needed

Jamie LaReau | | Automotive News / May 15, 2006 - 6:00 am

DETROIT -- With orders backed up for several months, General Motors may build more Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

"It's become clear that we need considerably more capacity," says Robert Lutz, GM vice chairman and global vice president of product development. "We are certainly studying a capacity increase."

Lutz would not commit on when GM would make a decision but said he wants the capacity boost "as soon as possible."

Adding labor and tooling and making other assembly upgrades to the Wilmington, Del., plant could cost tens of millions of dollars. GM builds the Solstice, Sky and Opel GT at the Wilmington plant. Opel has not yet launched the GT.

Demand for the Pontiac Solstice is at 35,000 units a year, Lutz said in an interview with Automotive News. The Sky roadster is sold out through the end of the year and in some regions well into next year, Jill Lajdziak, Saturn's general manager, said at a recent press event in San Francisco.

The plant is tooled to build 20,000 to 40,000 vehicles a year. Pontiac plans to build 20,000 Solstices. Saturn will likely get 10,000 Skys annually.

"With two-seat cars, you have to be very careful how you plan capacity," Lutz says. "Once everybody on the block has one, demand sort of tapers off.

"It continues, but it continues at a lower level, so you don't want to have the added capacity come on just when you're over that first peak."

Lutz says the Wilmington plant can handle "way more" than 40,000 units a year.

GM is going through the complex process of determining the cost of the additional labor, supplier capability, tooling and plant adjustments needed to increase production.

Wilmington is a three-shift plant, so it could not offer overtime other than on weekends, says a GM source who asked to not be identified.

The plant currently builds 6.5 vehicles an hour or about 155 a day.

"To increase production, we'd have to increase line speed, and that typically requires more manpower," the source says. "There could be bottlenecks in the system -- let's say the paint shop, for example, can only paint seven vehicles per hour -- so it would require tweaking the whole system.

"Is it possible? Yes, but it would likely cost something."

The cost to increase line speed by two to three vehicles per hour can be nominal, but a source says more extensive plant upgrade could cost "tens of millions of dollars."

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060515/FREE/60512011/1003&refsect=

·
Registered
804 Posts
Interesting, very interesting.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Probably won't happen anytime soon... but maybe when supply catches up with demand, the dealers scalping buyers with prices over MSRP will join the rest of the dealers & attempt to make their profits based on volume.

We can only hope!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stop building solstices...build all skys...would probably prove more profitable for GM

·
Registered
234 Posts
How do you figure that? People have different tastes.. I think they do a good job at what they are intended for.. Get people in to the dealerships.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I ordered my Sky a couple weeks ago, the dealer told me it would probably be July before it went into production and August, at best, before I get the car. As much as I'd love to have my vehicle sooner, I think in the long run I'd rather this remain as an in-demand vehicle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
MCsky said:
When I ordered my Sky a couple weeks ago, the dealer told me it would probably be July before it went into production and August, at best, before I get the car. As much as I'd love to have my vehicle sooner, I think in the long run I'd rather this remain as an in-demand vehicle.
I agree - I was told that mine will be here between August and November, but that is ok. I would rather wait and have a car that has value down the road.:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
I notice my local Pontiac dealer has a red Solstice in the front of his lot that has been there a few weeks. Hasn't sold yet and I know in fact, he has a few more but they are all manuals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts