Saturn Sky Forum banner

Possible transmission replacement

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Wolf_22 
#1 ·
Ive never replaced a transmission before, but my car when i pressed the gas earlier revved to 5k and wasnt shifting at all, so now im wondering / preparing for the worst. Is the transmission hard to replace? is there step by step guide somewhere? do you have to do anything besides bolt off/bolt on? its an automatic with 74k miles. Ive never checked the fluid.

#2 · (Edited)
Maybe some fluid leaked out. Start there, add fluid if low, then reevaluate. If it's all good again, have the transmission serviced with new fluid and filter.

If the fluid level is proper, a quick fix in a bottle that actually works for some bad transmission behaviors are those automatic transmission additives that conditions internal seals. Seals get hard, then fluid passes by them. The conditioner softs the seals so they do their job again. These products do not degrade the internal seals over time.

If nothing I suggested works, then replace your transmission.

#3 ·
It is possible that there is an electrical problem in either the shifter of the transmission itself. You could also have a valve malfunctioning.

What other symptoms do you have? Does it happen in all gears?

What had you just done when this happened? ie: Were you driving, had you just shifted in R? D?

#4 ·
It is possible that there is an electrical problem in either the shifter of the transmission itself. You could also have a valve malfunctioning.

What other symptoms do you have? Does it happen in all gears?

What had you just done when this happened? ie: Were you driving, had you just shifted in R? D?
Sorry for the late reply, it has happened only a couple times when pressing the gas to speed up and or get around somebody, maybe downshifting from 2nd to 1st? Not 100% sure what gear since its auto lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.