Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Is there additional wiring harness required besides the switches? Thanks Jeff R
If u want to do this...just purchase the passenger side door panel with the switch...then u will need to purchase the harness that goes to the switch. From that harness u will need to run 2 additional wires through the rubber tube which u find when opening your door....run it through the firewall where the battery is....there is an opening in the firewall and u will run those wires to your BCM...cannot recall which slots control the switch to open/close the door locks...u will need to look that up but not difficult. You do not need to do the drivers side door because u control that door.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Is there additional wiring harness required besides the switches? Thanks Jeff R
The pins are available on the BCM, but there are no mating pins or wiring in the body-side harnesses. You will need wiring and connector terminals to connect the switch(es) to the BCM.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have an early 2007 Base. Can I add a power door lock switch?
As others have said, the answer is "yes". I did this just last year on my early 2007 model year Sky.

I did it to be "as designed" to be as close to "original" as possible. These pictures explain a lot to give you an idea on what is involved.

You need these parts from a second-hand Sky parts supplier. I bought these from forum member HoosierGXP. Note the door switches. There are mechanical retaining features on the panels to retain the door switches properly. This requires the entire door panel. Don't just cut holes in your old door panels.
Metal Fashion accessory Eyewear Bumper Composite material

I bought these connector pins at a Chevy dealer parts department.
Wood Auto part Font Nickel Metal

I added the extra pin required (in the proper position) to mate up with the extra wire in the replacement wire harnesses.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior

The short looped white wire half way down the harness is the extra wire I added. It goes from the connector (one by each door) through the wirewall to the BCM.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

The pass-through hole is already there, covered by a sticky square. NO drilling required. I happened to have at home, rubber grommets to protect the wire from the sheet metal hole.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Where does it connect to the BCM? Read my reply farther down.

We "really like" having the inside door panel switches. Why Saturn didn't get that right from the very start is beyond my comprehension. Without the power doorlock switches, we always felt locked inside the car with no way to get out. That should have been a safety recall because unlike all other vehicles, there is no mechanical unlock switch by the door handle. You have to blindly reach behind you and lift up on the chrome stem like a 60's car. But sitting in the tight-fitting Sky, you have to be a contorsionist to do it.
Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Doing it the way I describe, the illumination of the doorlock switches takes care of itself.

You don't have to do this, but within the doorlock switches, I replaced the orange color with bright daylight LEDs, as I did everywhere else.
Steering part Car Vehicle Vehicle door Personal luxury car

Vehicle Speedometer Car Automotive lighting Gear shift

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
You did the drivers side....too much trouble for me and not needed (for me). By doing the driver's door, you need additional wiring and there is much unneeded difficulty. I like easy jobs. (y) Now if u want to do something difficult....do the back up camera in a Traverse mirror. That will make u feel accomplished. It took me 2 years to find the proper positioning of our wires.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My experience is that the driver door is only a tad bit more difficult than the passenger door because of the extra connection to the power mirror controls. Otherwise they are identical in difficulty.

1x effort to convert only the passenger door, or 2x to include the driver door for a complete conversion. Of coarse converting the 2nd door goes a lot faster after learning from the 1st door. I the driver, use the driver-side door lock switch all the time to get out. No need to handle the fob.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I rarely use the switch to unlock the doors since they unlock when the car is powered off and we normally only get out after stopping. That said, I did want an unlock control other than the fob, so I wired a pushbutton with a resistor and mounted it in the center stack panel that the airbag indicator is in.

Reactions: Strobe

·
Registered
2008 Sky Redline - Manual - Emerald Metallic
102 Posts
I rarely use the switch to unlock the doors since they unlock when the car is powered off and we normally only get out after stopping. That said, I did want an unlock control other than the fob, so I wired a pushbutton with a resistor and mounted it in the center stack panel that the airbag indicator is in.
John
Could you provide some wiring information and resistor size. Presume you used the same value as in the schematics. Just want to be sure. Also, add the information on the switch you selected for use.
Thanks!!
Strobe

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
John
Could you provide some wiring information and resistor size. Presume you used the same value as in the schematics. Just want to be sure. Also, add the information on the switch you selected for use.
Thanks!!
Strobe
I can't tell you a lot, but as far as I can remember from 15 years ago yes, the resistor is the 1.5k shown in the manual and I used a 1/8 watt that I already had. The switch is a momentary rocker style that I also had left over from an even longer-ago project so i do not have any specs. It happened to more-or-less match the seat heater switches so I used what i had.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't tell you a lot, but as far as I can remember from 15 years ago yes, the resistor is the 1.5k shown in the manual and I used a 1/8 watt that I already had. The switch is a momentary rocker style that I also had left over from an even longer-ago project so i do not have any specs. It happened to more-or-less match the seat heater switches so I used what i had.
Got it.
Can you recall the wiring? BCM pinouts?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I got my projects mixed up. I was mistaken concerning both extra door white wires I added, stating they connected to a common point on the BCM. Each added door switch wire goes into a dedicated connection on the BCM through the use of fresh connector pins.

I searched through my posts and found the one I started on the adding of door lock switches. It includes a lot of detail with pictures. Unfortunately there is no picture of the two connections to the BCM, only descriptive. As I recall, the connection pins X1-6 and X1-7 are on one of the two blue shrouded connectors.
Success! Added Power Door Lock Switches To Early 07 Base

·
Registered
102 Posts
RG, Excellent write up!
One thing confuses me in the write-up. You never mentioned the door lock actuators. Presume you car did not have them? Also, did you determine the BCM signals to the Actuator to Lock and Unlock?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts