Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got this literature when I went to the Auto Show today. And having never been a Saturn owner and having a deposit down on this car, I find it disheartening that on a "Highest Customer Retention" report Saturn came in last place (50.2%). I drive a Hyundai now and they were even at 7th (54.3%). So I asked my husband why and he claims that the cars aren't made well, that they "fall apart". He's a pretty smart guy when it comes to cars, addicted to SPIKE TV, also very much into motorcycles. So what's the deal? I knew someone who had one and didn't have any problems. I just figured that if you take care of your car, it would take care of you. So, for those of you who are current Saturn owners, if you can provide me with some ease about making this investment, I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Satisfied Owner

I have a 2003 Ion 2 and have had zero, that's in no, problems. I change the oil regularly and have all the required maintenance completed. The dealership has bee quite good. That's just one guys experience and I am looking forward to the SKY.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
242 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
So, I got this literature when I went to the Auto Show today. And having never been a Saturn owner and having a deposit down on this car, I find it disheartening that on a "Highest Customer Retention" report Saturn came in last place (50.2%). I drive a Hyundai now and they were even at 7th (54.3%). So I asked my husband why and he claims that the cars aren't made well, that they "fall apart". He's a pretty smart guy when it comes to cars, addicted to SPIKE TV, also very much into motorcycles. So what's the deal? I knew someone who had one and didn't have any problems. I just figured that if you take care of your car, it would take care of you. So, for those of you who are current Saturn owners, if you can provide me with some ease about making this investment, I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:
HAD A 93 SL2 AND, IT HELD UP PRETTY GOOD.....JUST BOUGHT A 2006 ION AND IT'S PRETTY COOL....NOT ALL CARS ARE ALIKE. DEPENDS ON HOW YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM...I JUST GOT RID OF THE '93 ABOUT A YEAR AGO. WE WERE TOLD THAT WE WOULD RECEIVE A SURVEY FROM J.D. AND, THEY WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE FILLED IT OUT. IMO, I THINK THAT WHEN PEOPLE GET THESE SURVEYS, ALOT TEND TO GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS AND JUST PUT WHATEVER. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH THE PEOPLE AT SATURN, AND MY "OLDIE" SERVED ME WELL. I THINK THAT THE RECENT DESIGNS AND CHANGES THAT THEY HAVE UNDERTAKEN WILL DO THEM ALOT OF JUSTICE THIS TIME AROUND....KEEP THE FAITH. I THINK THAT WE'LL ALL BE HAPPY WITH THE FINISHED PRODUCT.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I own a 2003 Saturn Vue with over 38,000 miles and I have had to do nothing outside of regular oil and filter changes. I cannot wait to add yet another to my family. :)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
We have an 2003 L-200, with 50,000 miles on it. No real problems to speak about. Did need a brake job on the front at 38,000. The sevice guy said that the l searies were know to be bad on brakes. I guess that why the salesman didn't mention it. Any way still looking forward to putting a SKY intomy garage.

·
Registered
242 Posts
fkeillor said:
We have an 2003 L-200, with 50,000 miles on it. No real problems to speak about. Did need a brake job on the front at 38,000. The sevice guy said that the l searies were know to be bad on brakes. I guess that why the salesman didn't mention it. Any way still looking forward to putting a SKY intomy garage.
I'VE FOUND THAT HAVING AMANUAL TRANNY HELPS THE WEAR AND TEAR ON BRAKES BECAUSE OF THE DOWN SHIFTING.......OUT OF ALL OF THE MANUAL TRANNIES THAT I'VE HAD I NEVER HAD BRAKE PROBLEMS...PUT MORE THAN 100,000 MILES ON EACH ONE!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I've never owned a Saturn product (never liked the design). I heard that Saturn was a people company and that the service was great. I also heard a report a couple of years ago that said “of the Saturn cars tested”, they didn't fair well in crash tests. I was shocked; this is supposed to be a company about people. Being about people doesn’t just mean selling a car at the lowest price.

I must admit I was apprehensive about putting money down on a Saturn product. I love the Sky design and what really convinced me to put money down on a Sky was that although the car says Saturn and the body design is by Saturn the rest of the car is GM. General Motors is pulling Saturn more into the fold now. You will note that the Sky will have some GM badging (it’s down near the bottom of the doors). It makes me more comfortable knowing GM is behind me. Many of the parts should be easy to get from either your friendly Saturn store or your Pontiac dealer as well

The engine has already been running in at least one other car (Cobalt). The Solstice is based on the same under body and is built in the same plant by the same people as the Sky will be. Much of the Sky is being run through its paces right now, in production and on the road. This “should” give us a better product.

Lets hope, because I will be driving one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Parts Falling Off Saturns

Angelqute1 said:
So I asked my husband why and he claims that the cars aren't made well, that they "fall apart".
Ma'am - yes and no. I own a LW300 Wagon (Model year 2002, and my wife used to have an LS200 (sedan, model year 2003; we sold that when I went to Iraq for a year where I still am). They are well made albiet ECONOMY cars. My wagon was purchased new at $24,000 - that's with leather, automatic transmission, etc. A comparable Volvo wagon would have been $35,000. Are there places where the body work wasn't done "absolutely perfect?" Sure. However, it's a smart design, the components work well together, and at 54,000 miles we've had only one small problem with rear wheel alignment - which the dealer admits was an engineering flaw (they specified the wrong toe in/out at the factory causing premature tire wear), and for which they gave us (and everybody) 4 new tires at the 35,000 mile mark. Their service really is good, they really do want you to be happy with your car, I've been to a few dealerships and they really are NICE people and really DO listen to you. Quite unlike experiences I'd had with Ford, etc. I would say if you want Mercedes quality you have to buy a Mercedes though, and expect to pay $1,000 every time you take it in for service (no, I'm not joking). I do expect that they'll produce a well designed car at a very competitive price. The only real competition in the Sky's price range (aside from the badge twin Solstice) is the Miata; not a bad car, but long in the tooth, less powerful (standard engine) and more expensive to maintain. The Sky is a totally new platform (hydroformed rail frame) with a very new engine (having been tested in the Cobalt right now). The other nice thing about buying from Saturn is you'll pay what the sticker says - urban legends are that Pontiac dealers are marking sticker prices UP in response to demand. I'd say that if you want a convertible at a reasonable price that you'll be able to get serviced anywhere that this is a good option. I'd also say that if you have the cash you should consider the BMW or Honda models for another $10-$20K. I myself used to drive a 1964 MG; convertibles are designed to get rained in (ooops! forgot to put the top up!) dirt in (Darn, how'd I get behind a manuer truck on this windy road?) and generally thrashed about. I wouldn't want to wear my Gucci loafers to the beach either!

·
Registered
242 Posts
SWQ said:
Ma'am - yes and no. I own a LW300 Wagon (Model year 2002, and my wife used to have an LS200 (sedan, model year 2003; we sold that when I went to Iraq for a year where I still am). They are well made albiet ECONOMY cars. My wagon was purchased new at $24,000 - that's with leather, automatic transmission, etc. A comparable Volvo wagon would have been $35,000. Are there places where the body work wasn't done "absolutely perfect?" Sure. However, it's a smart design, the components work well together, and at 54,000 miles we've had only one small problem with rear wheel alignment - which the dealer admits was an engineering flaw (they specified the wrong toe in/out at the factory causing premature tire wear), and for which they gave us (and everybody) 4 new tires at the 35,000 mile mark. Their service really is good, they really do want you to be happy with your car, I've been to a few dealerships and they really are NICE people and really DO listen to you. Quite unlike experiences I'd had with Ford, etc. I would say if you want Mercedes quality you have to buy a Mercedes though, and expect to pay $1,000 every time you take it in for service (no, I'm not joking). I do expect that they'll produce a well designed car at a very competitive price. The only real competition in the Sky's price range (aside from the badge twin Solstice) is the Miata; not a bad car, but long in the tooth, less powerful (standard engine) and more expensive to maintain. The Sky is a totally new platform (hydroformed rail frame) with a very new engine (having been tested in the Cobalt right now). The other nice thing about buying from Saturn is you'll pay what the sticker says - urban legends are that Pontiac dealers are marking sticker prices UP in response to demand. I'd say that if you want a convertible at a reasonable price that you'll be able to get serviced anywhere that this is a good option. I'd also say that if you have the cash you should consider the BMW or Honda models for another $10-$20K. I myself used to drive a 1964 MG; convertibles are designed to get rained in (ooops! forgot to put the top up!) dirt in (Darn, how'd I get behind a manuer truck on this windy road?) and generally thrashed about. I wouldn't want to wear my Gucci loafers to the beach either!
I AGREE TOTALLY!!!...AND LET ME JUST TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE..........EX-AIR FORCE, HERE.........GODSPEED!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks man. Just a thang over here. Like I'm on the set of an updated remake of "Appocalypse Now" for the most part.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Saturn Vue owner, almost at 30,000 miles. Nothing major has happened with it. I am very please with the car and mechanically how it has ran. There have been some asthetic problems with the interior and minor annoying noises here and there. These have included low quality parts for the dashboard and quality of materials in the b pillars making a strange rattle sound. I mention these because Saturn is making a real push to higher market segment and all the problems that I've mentioned have been fixed in the new version of the Vue. Again.. mechanically (and as it's main purpose is to get you somewhere) it has been spot on, no complaints and even with the V6 (honda) it is getting great gas milage. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've heard Saturn has a large following so that study baffles me. Some people don't like Saturn becasue of the plastic panels, which by the way are gone with the new lineup (SKY, AURA). So realistically the cars of the old Saturn cannot be comapred to the cars fo the new Saturn. The SKY will be the 1st Saturn not to be built at Spring Hill, I think.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thank you all soooooo very much for all of your feedback. I have to admit, my friend in Iraq, I wish you nothing but good health and a safe stay there. I have made so many friends on this forum that I wish I could throw a big party for all of us to just hang out and talk. We have so many different backgrounds, religions, races, etc. It's amazing that something like a flashy little Saturn Roadster could bring us all together. Really. I have nothing but sheer confidence that I am going to absolutely LOVE this car. I thank you all for your due dilligence in responding to my post. Truly and sincerely from Los Angeles....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
Wow, thank you all soooooo very much for all of your feedback. I have to admit, my friend in Iraq, I wish you nothing but good health and a safe stay there. I have made so many friends on this forum that I wish I could throw a big party for all of us to just hang out and talk. We have so many different backgrounds, religions, races, etc. It's amazing that something like a flashy little Saturn Roadster could bring us all together. Really. I have nothing but sheer confidence that I am going to absolutely LOVE this car. I thank you all for your due dilligence in responding to my post. Truly and sincerely from Los Angeles....
WHEN THIS WAITING PERIOD IS OVER, THE FUN WILL JUST BE STARTING......WE'LL ALL MEET SOMEWHERE DOWN THE ROAD. THIS LAND WILL BE KNOWN AS "SKY COUNTRY"!:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I don't think the Sky will have the plastic panels. Incidentally, that still is a great idea - they don't dent or rust, but if they get badly dinged, you can pop off and replace for the most part. There's no weight savings though as you've got to have steel underneath for strength..which is why they tend to avoid them on smaller cars like the Sky...
And thanks Angelqute! I'd say "stop by sometime" but I don't think you'd want to!

·
Registered
242 Posts
SWQ said:
Yes, I don't think the Sky will have the plastic panels. Incidentally, that still is a great idea - they don't dent or rust, but if they get badly dinged, you can pop off and replace for the most part. There's no weight savings though as you've got to have steel underneath for strength..which is why they tend to avoid them on smaller cars like the Sky...
And thanks Angelqute! I'd say "stop by sometime" but I don't think you'd want to!
SERVED DURING DESERT STORM....TELL ALL WE'RE BEHIND 110%...KEEP SAFE! YOU'RE ALL IN MY PRAYERS.

SKY_LINE

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey, we're on our third Saturn - at least until we get the Sky. Started with a 95 SL2 then on to a 2000 LS2. Added a VUE to the LS in 03. The buying experience and the service is what keeps us a a Saturn family. Had no problems with the SL or the LS. One glitch with the VUE (rear wheel bearing) but my dealer jumped on it. The SL2 went 125000 miles and we even towed a small tent trailer. Both our current cars are in the 30K range.

I would dispute any study that says Saturn owners aren't happy based on my own experience.

·
Registered
242 Posts
bigdog said:
Hey, we're on our third Saturn - at least until we get the Sky. Started with a 95 SL2 then on to a 2000 LS2. Added a VUE to the LS in 03. The buying experience and the service is what keeps us a a Saturn family. Had no problems with the SL or the LS. One glitch with the VUE (rear wheel bearing) but my dealer jumped on it. The SL2 went 125000 miles and we even towed a small tent trailer. Both our current cars are in the 30K range.

I would dispute any study that says Saturn owners aren't happy based on my own experience.
I'LL GLADLY SECOND THAT!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So as a result of this thread, and depending on how comfortable any roadster could possibly be for long drives, I say we all meet next summer IN THE MIDDLE. I would say everyone come out here and let's all go to Disneyland, but in all honesty, that drive just wont be long enough. But I do think that since we're all going to be sticking together for the next 6 months that we would deserve such a great time. Yes, Yes? And as for you SWQ, I don't know when your expected return date is, but we'd certainly keep that in mind!!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
So as a result of this thread, and depending on how comfortable any roadster could possibly be for long drives, I say we all meet next summer IN THE MIDDLE. I would say everyone come out here and let's all go to Disneyland, but in all honesty, that drive just wont be long enough. But I do think that since we're all going to be sticking together for the next 6 months that we would deserve such a great time. Yes, Yes? And as for you SWQ, I don't know when your expected return date is, but we'd certainly keep that in mind!!!!!!
"IN THE MIDDLE"? I'M IN!..........LET'S RIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE:cool: :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts