Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible all this buzz/interest people are showing for the RL with dealers prior to pricing/allocation might have an adverse affect on pricing?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
geerhed said:
Is it possible all this buzz/interest people are showing for the RL with dealers prior to pricing/allocation might have an adverse affect on pricing?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
pre order hype bad

:lol: Seems to me, that if the initial production of the RL is being oversold (more potential orders than allocation) then it would be naive to think that the dealers won't take advantage of the situation. It fits the supply and demand equation. Unfortunately most potential buyers will have to wait a significant amount of time until the supply catches up with the demand. I estimate that to obtain a RL this year or next the total cost ( msrp for the RL + dealer mark up) will run around $ 35K Plus applicable sales tax. Some on this forum will probably pay the premium price for the privilege of owning one of the first. I am patient, and will drive my Vette a year longer if need be.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Gotta love capitalism.... :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think GM is watching the hype and seeing they mis-priced the Kappas.

Reports here that the Solstics GXP will be just under $30K.

I thinking the RedLine will come in not a nickle less than $29,995, and thats with a few features you might expect to be standard--as extras.

Think about the $Billions GM has in Oustanding debt. One could argue they have an obligation to their stock and bond holders to pocket the premium that dealers and Ebay sellers are pocketing instead. Don't you think thats true?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Premiums

GM has already said they will not allow dealer premiums and they will be keeping an eye on the dealers. As for their pricing with the limited allowcation they are having an extra 1-2000 on SKY pricing will not impact the bottom line at all.
I would anticpate that since the GXP is a 5K add with some features the base did not have plus turbo. We can expect the 4 - 5K range. Base Sky already had more features.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi.
with all due respect. 30k for the base sky rl? Forgive me for being blunt ...but the hell with it! I mean i love the lines of the body and a turbo equiped version seemes a nice buy for UNDER 30k. if it is 30k, well I know I will be walking, not because I can't afford it but simply I think I can spend my 35k+ tax (I estimate whith the option that I want) on something BETTER. So there is issue of pricing the product right... underpriced kappa? I don't think it is! It is a good value... all things considered, but at 30k+ NOT!
ilber:willy:

·
Registered
30 Posts
ilber said:
Hi.
with all due respect. 30k for the base sky rl? Forgive me for being blunt ...but the hell with it! I mean i love the lines of the body and a turbo equiped version seemes a nice buy for UNDER 30k. if it is 30k, well I know I will be walking, not because I can't afford it but simply I think I can spend my 35k+ tax (I estimate whith the option that I want) on something BETTER. So there is issue of pricing the product right... underpriced kappa? I don't think it is! It is a good value... all things considered, but at 30k+ NOT!
I agree...over $28k and Im rethinking...

-shu

·
Registered
8 Posts
pre order hype bad

I agree. While the RL is a great looking car, I don't feel that a price tag of $35K + is acceptable. Remember the initial selling feature for this auto was a great looking 2 seat roadster at an affordable price. Seem that the prices are escalating and now prices are in the neighborhood of late model corvetts in the used market place. My point is why 35K for a saturn when there are better values available for 2 seat sports cars. I hope the Saturn marketing team realizes this before they kill what could be a boon for GM.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Blue Sky said:
GM has already said they will not allow dealer premiums and they will be keeping an eye on the dealers. As for their pricing with the limited allowcation they are having an extra 1-2000 on SKY pricing will not impact the bottom line at all.
I would anticpate that since the GXP is a 5K add with some features the base did not have plus turbo. We can expect the 4 - 5K range. Base Sky already had more features.
I think you will see around the 2500.00/3000.00 range. After you subtract the difference of the thing's that come standard with the GXP from the 5,000.00 price you come up with 2545.00 for the turbo only on the GXP.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know where you're getting this 35K number...the number we were complaining about is just under $30K well equipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pre order hype bad

I think 30K or the about will be the MSRP for the RL but as I stated in a previous post on this thread, the dealers will most likely add a premium to the MSRP based on the supply and demand, at least on the initial orders. Sooo
35K is not unexpected. The pontiac dealers in central Florida already have a 5K add on for the Solstis and are getting it. I hope the price stays around 30K but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
ilber said:
Hi.
I am hoping that is does not come in above 28k. However, look at some of the numbers below.

The GXP RL is ~25,500 so it is 5k more than Solstice. Subtract 400 for AntiLock Brakes since they are already Standard on the Sky that means a 4600 bump, which puts the Sky at 28,000.

Have you looked at the Sky RL has a quite a features that Sky does not besides the Turbo

SKY Red Line Specific Equipment (Partial)

Dual polished aluminum exhaust outlets
Standard limited slip differential
Specific performance suspension tuning
Standard Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control with competitive mode
Functional front brake cooling vents
Standard 18-inch polished aluminum wheels
* P245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2 performance tires (different from standard)
Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel with accent stitch, cruise, digital message center and auxiliary audio controls

Standard metallic sill plates and stainless steel pedal covers

Most of the Premium package is included, so expect Leather Seats to cost considerably less
-$400-600
LSD is included -$195
Chrome Wheels -$595. Since Polished is included.
So if you are calculating at these options you need to do so at partial price

I am not sure how all of that works out in the calculation of the price though

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Dond said:
I think 30K or the about will be the MSRP for the RL but as I stated in a previous post on this thread, the dealers will most likely add a premium to the MSRP based on the supply and demand, at least on the initial orders. Sooo
35K is not unexpected. The pontiac dealers in central Florida already have a 5K add on for the Solstis and are getting it. I hope the price stays around 30K but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Except Saturn has made a point of stating that Redlines will not marked up. I am not sure how they are enforcing that though.

I am thinking slightly over 30k for fully loaded RL w/auto.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Some folks are posting that they wouldn't be inclined to pay over $30K for the Sky RL... that's fine... I think it is worth well over that, probably upwards of $35-$38K to me.

I'd like to ask the folks who aren't inclinded to think it's worth over $30K what other NEW roadster they think they would substitute for it?

The aging, soon-to-be-dropped, under-powered S2K?, higher priced roadsters like the Nissan Z, Z4, SLK, Crossfire? Mustang GT or Eclipse convertibles?

No way those other potential cars could match the combined looks/performance/rarity/buzz of the Sky RL... and most cost well over $40K

so what would you buy? My guess most would either buy something USED, or skip the top-down cars & buy a hardtop.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
GXP Pricing

Pontiac.com has pricing for GXP (also posted in another thread) - $25,995 - or $5000 more than the base Solstice - but also includes some items that are standard on the base Sky.

I agree that anything over $28,000 without and customer specified options is about the top end of where I would still be interested - $29,900 including some options might be doable. If it gets to be $32k then S2000 with power top or GTO with 400HP looks like possible options to me.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
richmcc said:
I am hoping that is does not come in above 28k. However, look at some of the numbers below.

The GXP RL is ~25,500 so it is 5k more than Solstice. Subtract 400 for AntiLock Brakes since they are already Standard on the Sky that means a 4600 bump, which puts the Sky at 28,000.

Have you looked at the Sky RL has a quite a features that Sky does not besides the Turbo

SKY Red Line Specific Equipment (Partial)

Dual polished aluminum exhaust outlets
Standard limited slip differential
Specific performance suspension tuning
Standard Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control with competitive mode
Functional front brake cooling vents
Standard 18-inch polished aluminum wheels
* P245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2 performance tires (different from standard)
Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel with accent stitch, cruise, digital message center and auxiliary audio controls

Standard metallic sill plates and stainless steel pedal covers

Most of the Premium package is included, so expect Leather Seats to cost considerably less
-$400-600
LSD is included -$195
Chrome Wheels -$595. Since Polished is included.
So if you are calculating at these options you need to do so at partial price

I am not sure how all of that works out in the calculation of the price though

If you take the 5,000.00 extra for the GXP and subtract the thing that are standard with the GXP but not the base Solstice you come up with a price of 2445.00 for the turbo only. That's a darn good price for 260 hp.

Now add that to you Sky and add in any option's that aren't standard with the Red Line. This will be close to the price of the Red Line. But don't forget they raised the price of the 2007 Base Solstice by 500.00, we don't know if they will do this with the Sky with the new Red Line pricing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Best options?

Would it be better to trade in my currect Sky for a Redline OR sell it myself? Opinions given to me say, sell it myself. :confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sell it yourself FOR SURE.

The difference between trading and selling on your own would be several thousand dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyBos said:
Sell it yourself FOR SURE.

The difference between trading and selling on your own would be several thousand dollars.
Depends on your dealer. Deluke for example is getting a sweet deal on her Sol from her dealer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts