Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I for one am a "believe it when I see it" type and this raises a major BS flag but if you all haven't been following the thread it seems theres a fellow who goes by the handle majbong who claims he works in the Wilmington plant and that all of the pre-production SKYs that have been produced are intercooled and turbocharged- and that is one reason why they are so much more expensive than the Solstice. I don't know if GMlinedog watches this forum as he does the solstice but maybe we can get a more trusty opinion of this:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59211&page=4&pp=20

This links to the middle of the thread, where all of this stuff starts flying. Everyone has seen the photos of the Solstice mules with dual exhausts and turbochargers but I haven't seen one like that of the SKY.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
Now I for one am a "believe it when I see it" type and this raises a major BS flag but if you all haven't been following the thread it seems theres a fellow who goes by the handle majbong who claims he works in the Wilmington plant and that all of the pre-production SKYs that have been produced are intercooled and turbocharged- and that is one reason why they are so much more expensive than the Solstice. I don't know if GMlinedog watches this forum as he does the solstice but maybe we can get a more trusty opinion of this:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59211&page=4&pp=20

This links to the middle of the thread, where all of this stuff starts flying. Everyone has seen the photos of the Solstice mules with dual exhausts and turbochargers but I haven't seen one like that of the SKY.
MAJOR BS ALERT...I agree with you, If that was true it would be mentioned on Saturns Specs for the Sky not a 170HP 2.4 VVT
PS I went to that thread and read his first post and this is what it said, "Sure the Sky is a limited production, but you wont have to wait 2 more years for it. The Sky will be added to the 07 line up. Made on the same frame as the Pontiac Solstice. Matter of fact, when the Sky hits the street(base price 25k). It will be the same car as the Pontiac except a few different skin modifications. So underneath it all you saturn fans will just be buyinf a dressed up Pontiac, built in Delaware"
So you see he contradicts himself in his later posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Doesn't sound very likely but it would be nice if the Sky was ready for turbo as an option. What really blows the guys story away is saying it would be included in the price that we have been hearing for the Sky. He questioned how we could believe the added options would add up to that amount without the turbo.

From what I have established on the GM Canada site (where you can build your own Solstice on line) the Solstice with all the options will be around $35k Canadian. Which is where I expect the Sky to be. This jives with the USD estimates of the Sky and the Solstice fully loaded.

The estimates for the turbo option are around $2k - 10K as per estimates on this forum. I would guess it will be close to a $3K option but I don't base that on anything more than GM wanting it to be affordable and competitive with the Miata.

Time will tell but my vote is BS! To bad we don't have an appropriate smile for that stuff. :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
rick112 said:
Doesn't sound very likely but it would be nice if the Sky was ready for turbo as an option. What really blows the guys story away is saying it would be included in the price that we have been hearing for the Sky. He questioned how we could believe the added options would add up to that amount without the turbo.

From what I have established on the GM Canada site (where you can build your own Solstice on line) the Solstice with all the options will be around $35k Canadian. Which is where I expect the Sky to be. This jives with the USD estimates of the Sky and the Solstice fully loaded.

The estimates for the turbo option are around $2k - 10K as per estimates on this forum. I would guess it will be close to a $3K option but I don't base that on anything more than GM wanting it to be affordable and competitive with the Miata.

Time will tell but my vote is BS! To bad we don't have an appropriate smile for that stuff. :D
makes me wanna call his bluff and ask him to take pictures of him on the assebly line and send it to my e-mail didn't he say he would do something like that?? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
<NaCl Ring of Protection>...
???

The BS is so strong my ring is failing me!!!

Bob Lutz HIMSELF has been quoted saying the Sky will "base under $25k." Ok we've got list of options base on the Sky that are options on the Solstice that adds up to about $23,140 without the supposed "Saturn brand markup" and any other options that might be included we don't know about yet. So unless GM is going to let this one out of the stable at near cost I would'y hold this very solid.

I really don't think the low[er] production Saturn version is going to come base with a high powered engine that hasn't even been announced yet for this 2006 Spring time frame. Pontiac is the performance bran for Pete's sake, not Saturn. It makes absolutely no sense to put a far more expensive engine in a car that's going to hardly cost more then the Solstice equally equiped.

·
Registered
623 Posts
brentil said:
???

The BS is so strong my ring is failing me!!!

Bob Lutz HIMSELF has been quoted saying the Sky will "base under $25k." Ok we've got list of options base on the Sky that are options on the Solstice that adds up to about $23,140 without the supposed "Saturn brand markup" and any other options that might be included we don't know about yet. So unless GM is going to let this one out of the stable at near cost I would'y hold this very solid.

I really don't think the low[er] production Saturn version is going to come base with a high powered engine that hasn't even been announced yet for this 2006 Spring time frame. Pontiac is the performance bran for Pete's sake, not Saturn. It makes absolutely no sense to put a far more expensive engine in a car that's going to hardly cost more then the Solstice equally equiped.
Plus all reports seem to state that the Solstice GT (or GXP depending on the report) and the SKY RL are being co-developed at GM.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
This goofball sent me a personal message (the thread is so full of BS they closed it) insisting what he said was true and the what he said at first he forgot to add the part about the turbo, I guess he also forgot to add the part about changing the frame... and the intercooler....

I challenged him to post the same BS he was spouting over there on this forum or the Solstice forum... Did you also notice he was saying they had 3000 orders for Skys already.... and 30,000 orders for Solstices...

·
Registered
432 Posts
classic66vair said:
I challenged him to post the same BS he was spouting over there on this forum or the Solstice forum... Did you also notice he was saying they had 3000 orders for Skys already.... and 30,000 orders for Solstices...

oh, yeah, and i heard that they call it the sky because it can fly!

:lol:

what a dork!

·
Registered
328 Posts
They will be lucky to get the 1st 1000 out by the end of Sept ... and he thinks that they already have over 30,000 ordered. :willy:

Don't get me wrong...the Sol is hot, but not 30,000 ordered hot.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Lost Sol said:
They will be lucky to get the 1st 1000 out by the end of Sept ... and he thinks that they already have over 30,000 ordered. :willy:

Don't get me wrong...the Sol is hot, but not 30,000 ordered hot.
So far about 1200 cars have been produced for customers and I'd say a good 200 have been delivered, and another 600 are on route for delivery as of now from what people are reporting over there. They've finished all the EOP cars now, and I believe they've also finished all the ZZ/FM (Zero Zipper & Free Maintenace) cars as well. I'm pretty sure they might be starting normal 4 month allocation order production today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Okay, let me throw my 2 cents in. Yes, the Sky will be produced with the same driveline as the base Solstice. Yes, the base Sky will include some features standard that are optional on the Solstice (AC, power, OnStar, etc.). Even though he claims that the standard Sky will come with a turbo is false, GM does make pre-production cars for test purposes. It might very well be true that the pre-production cars produce off the line lately do indeed have a turbo! They are test cars!

I caught wind a while back that Saturn was going to beat Pontiac to the punch by having their Redline version out before the GXP version. The claims made by this factory worker having seen pre-production turbo units being made may make the claim whole some water. We have seen spy shots of the turbo version of the Solstice from earlier in the year, and now if just maybe the Sky is getting it's run.

·
Registered
250 Posts
(hey - back again)
I would love to believe that this is true. Really I would. I would be the first with a fist full of dollars camped out for a sky. I believe that it would have to be too well kept a secret to not have gotten out by now.

Either way, I'm going to be very content with the standard sky and this dude will have to put up with the famed Forum Ridicule that these folks are famous for.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Delnari said:
Okay, let me throw my 2 cents in. Yes, the Sky will be produced with the same driveline as the base Solstice. Yes, the base Sky will include some features standard that are optional on the Solstice (AC, power, OnStar, etc.). Even though he claims that the standard Sky will come with a turbo is false, GM does make pre-production cars for test purposes. It might very well be true that the pre-production cars produce off the line lately do indeed have a turbo! They are test cars!

I caught wind a while back that Saturn was going to beat Pontiac to the punch by having their Redline version out before the GXP version. The claims made by this factory worker having seen pre-production turbo units being made may make the claim whole some water. We have seen spy shots of the turbo version of the Solstice from earlier in the year, and now if just maybe the Sky is getting it's run.
well what really threw up the flag is that he first said it would be exactly the same as the Solstice under the skin, then later he says the turbo will be standard in the Sky, and the frames will be different to make room for the turbo and intercooler... Also all the wild production and order figures he was throwing around..... there was so much that contradicted everything that is known about the Sky and Solstice , it is just too unbelieveable.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Well he's given us something new to dream about for a couple of days.

·
Registered
328 Posts
brentil said:
So far about 1200 cars have been produced for customers and I'd say a good 200 have been delivered, and another 600 are on route for delivery as of now from what people are reporting over there. They've finished all the EOP cars now, and I believe they've also finished all the ZZ/FM (Zero Zipper & Free Maintenace) cars as well. I'm pretty sure they might be starting normal 4 month allocation order production today or tomorrow.
I believe that they are made .... all that I said was that they would be lucky to have them d e l i v e r e d by the end of Sept. I am only judging by what I read in the Sol Forum and maybe I am wrong, but it sounds like they have several more to deliver. I will be buying a 2007 Sol, or Sky, so I am not worried.

PS: Get out = deliver ... down in Alabama :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Well it has been 3 days since I replied to his personal message to me, and he hasn't bothered to reply back to my challenge....
I also noticed he hasn't posted any more on that forum either.... that was his only thread he has ever posted on...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
classic66vair said:
Well it has been 3 days since I replied to his personal message to me, and he hasn't bothered to reply back to my challenge....
I also noticed he hasn't posted any more on that forum either.... that was his only thread he has ever posted on...
hmmm, I smell troll in the bad kind of way and not the resident lovable troll kinda way.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Trolls, Trolls good for the heart,
the more you beat,
the more you....... :brentil:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts