Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With 120,000 miles and an unknown maintenance history, I plan to change every fluid. Can anyone offer their experience, concerns, or helpful hints?

2007 Sky base with MANUAL TRANSMISSION
The car will be a joy rider, very rarely pushed hard if ever, so I don't desire unique ultra-high performance fluids.

- 2.4L Engine oil and filter, 5W-30. I am a believer in full synthetic. Takes 5 quarts.

- Coolant: Does the 2.4L have an engine block and/or a radiator drain plug? Fluid spec is DEX-COOL 150,000 miles or 5 years. What are the equivalent brands? Takes 9 quarts.

- Power Steering Fluid: Is there a drain plug in the steering rack? How should this system be drained and filled? Fluid spec is (GM Part No. U.S. 89021184) What are the equivalent brands? Takes roughly how much fluid?

- Manual Transmission: I assume there is a drain plug and fill plug to fill until over-flowing. Fluid spec is: (GM Part No. U.S. 89021806) Is this a gear oil? What are the equivalent brands? Takes 3 quarts.

- Rear Differential: With John WR's help, I determined my Sky Base has "Limited Slip". I assume it has a drain plug and fill plug to fill until over-flowing, just like the transmission. Fluid spec is SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant, PLUS 4 ounces of Limited-Slip Axle Lubricant Additive (GM Part No. U.S. 1052358) What is this special additive?

- Brakes & Hydraulic Clutch Combo: Is there anything unique to facilitate, drain, or bleed out concerning the hydraulic clutch part of the system? Does the clutch slave cylinder have a bleeder valve? Takes DOT3 fluid.

I had previously cleaned up my windshield washer reservoir. It is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
For the drive axle, look for a G80 in the RPO code list. G80 indicates a limited slip differential.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the drive axle, look for a G80 in the RPO code list. G80 indicates a limited slip differential.
Ah, I have a "Limited Slip" Differential. Thanks for that tip. I will update my original post to reflect it.

So then, what is the special fluid I have to add into the differential oil referred in the owners manual stated as follows.
"With a complete drain and refill add 4 ounces (118 ml) of Limited-Slip Axle Lubricant Additive (GM Part No. U.S. 1052358)

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I got my Sky I went after many of the same fluids. My recollection is there is no drain plug for the tranny. No drain plug for the ps pump. Brake fluid change is typical. Suck out what you can’t drain or???? Doing the top mounted oil filter is different the first time around. I’d put new rad hoses on with the fluid change. New serpentine belt, too.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Don't forget the power steering pump belt. There are two belts.

We use a gravity feed brake bleeder tool. We changed the brake fluid in at least 10 kappa's last summer during garage day. DOT3 is rated for three years and DOT2 is rated for 2 years life. Water is death on brake fluid.

Did you change the heater hose?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Rob The Elder,

I remember you when I was working on a Solstice GXP a few years back. I greatly appreciated your assistance with tulip door hardware, specifically that little clip with the "D" hole.

I have worked on many brakes on various vehicles where I volunteer for the under-resourced in our community. I hear you about bleeding. With the system closed, I like to open the bleeder valve, then compress the cylinder to force out any jelling of fluid in the caliper, then bleed the main system. I use a pneumatic air-compressor-powered suction kit that works well when working alone.

Yes, I replaced both the power steering and alternator belts. No, I did not replace any coolant or heater hoses.

Colorado Blue Sky, I hope you are wrong about the lack of manual transmission drain and fill plugs. That does not sound right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts