Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received this email today from a solstice dealer in Westminster, Ca.

THE SOLSTICE HAS ARRIVED. WE RECEIVED OUR FIRST ONE YESTERDAY (FINALLY). THIS HAS BEEN PRE SOLD. NEXT ONE IS RED AND IS AVAILABLE, SHOULD BE HERE SATURDAY. THE NEXT ONE IS SILVER, AND THIS ONE IS SOLD. WE HAVE 7 MORE EN ROUTE 3 BLACKS, 3 SILVER AND 1 MORE RED. THESE ARE ALL FULLY LOADED WITH LEATHER ETC AND ARE PRICED AT 29,995.00. THREE YEAR LEASE WITH NO OUT OF POCKET MONEY IS AROUND $ 539.00.PER MONTH.

KINDLY ADVISE,
Westminster Pontiac
It looks like the Sky is going to be the same or more fully loaded..not to mention tax/license etc fees.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I don't know what they're talking about... I just went to the pontiac site and built my own, with all the options (chose the high end when I had a choice..ie the radio) and it came out to 25,920.

Is this one of those dealers who are marking up over MSRP??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dealer Inflation!!

usmc said:
I don't know what they're talking about... I just went to the pontiac site and built my own, with all the options (chose the high end when I had a choice..ie the radio) and it came out to 25,920.

Is this one of those dealers who are marking up over MSRP??

I have a sol on order (projecting spring arrival) which i loaded except for smokers package and on-star. I am getting for msrp at $24,200. Most on the sol forum have loaded to the max for around $25,000. :cool:

Although with the demand, many (and i mean many) dealers have inflated the price and are charging anywhere from $3 - 5K over msrp. I would expect this price inflating to eventually go down as production catches demand. But right now i have read of many people bailing because of the wait time and the dealers are letting them to go the next in line for the price of their choosing. :mad: :willy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
sol43621 said:
I have a sol on order (projecting spring arrival) which i loaded except for smokers package and on-star. I am getting for msrp at $24,200. Most on the sol forum have loaded to the max for around $25,000. :cool:

Although with the demand, many (and i mean many) dealers have inflated the price and are charging anywhere from $3 - 5K over msrp. I would expect this price inflating to eventually go down as production catches demand. But right now i have read of many people bailing because of the wait time and the dealers are letting them to go the next in line for the price of their choosing. :mad: :willy:
if the sky follows suit, as far as demand, then i would expect something similar happen here. Especially since the sky will start with only half the solstice production, but similar amount of customers.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I can't imagine how I would react if after waiting all this time, I walk in to the dealer to order the car and they tack on 3k!!. I know that it doesn't appear that saturn will do this and I've been told by a sales guy at my specific dealer that they won't but I feel for the sol people.

and then have to deal with a smug looking sales person who says " take it or leave it, theres a guy right behind you that will pay". At the very least, they should tell you this is what they intend to do when you place your deposit.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

wow, getting mad just thinking about it

·
Registered
250 Posts
This has been brought up before... and the concensus is:

"WE HOPE" that Saturn retailers do the right thing.. They have always been no haggle pricing and if they stick to this the MSRP will be what we pay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most sol dealers are doing the right thing and charging msrp. Mine is, and to make sure i had a document typed up stating everything at msrp (itemized and listed) and got both my salesmans and the sales managers signatures on it. But then there are the select few dealers who don't care and want the quick extra buck.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
That Sol has a dealer markup of $5k I bet. Some dealers are doing it but not all of them. With over 2800 dealerships it's very easy to find some who are.

If you want to protect yourself from this get your Saturn dealership to sign an agreement that states you will pay MSRP for the car. We all did it at the Solstice forum. I know less then 10 people over there out of our fairly large membership that actually paid over MSRP because of their vigilence.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Pontiac dealer across the road from us is one of those charging way over MSRP. And they will sell every last one that way. Sad. Just one more reason I choose to work for Saturn instead of the competition.
Cheers,
Jill

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Saturn Sales said:
The Pontiac dealer across the road from us is one of those charging way over MSRP. And they will sell every last one that way. Sad. Just one more reason I choose to work for Saturn instead of the competition.
Cheers,
Jill
Once again... Same here!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any BIDING GM-to-dealer agreement that Saturn sells all of it's cars at MSRP (rather, no higher than MSRP)?

The car I currently own is a Scion, which works identically to Saturn in terms of sales @ MSRP, however, the OFFICAL wording from Toyota-to-dealer is that, if a dealer wants to sell below MSRP, the same percentage or dollar amount off has to apply to every model of whatever car they are selling at that price. Not sure if the same applies for selling over MSRP.

Anyways, back to original question... does ordering a Sky from a Saturn dealership automatically lock-in my pricing to whatever Saturn sets?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
If you want to protect yourself from this get your Saturn dealership to sign an agreement that states you will pay MSRP for the car. We all did it at the Solstice forum. I know less then 10 people over there out of our fairly large membership that actually paid over MSRP because of their vigilence.
I totally Agree.... We have been telling people to do this for the last 6 months. on this forum.. I put my deposit down in may and the first thing I did was have the sales manager write it up to be sold at MSRP or less... It is the Smart thing to do...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
naoki said:
Is there any BIDING GM-to-dealer agreement that Saturn sells all of it's cars at MSRP (rather, no higher than MSRP)?

The car I currently own is a Scion, which works identically to Saturn in terms of sales @ MSRP, however, the OFFICAL wording from Toyota-to-dealer is that, if a dealer wants to sell below MSRP, the same percentage or dollar amount off has to apply to every model of whatever car they are selling at that price. Not sure if the same applies for selling over MSRP.

Anyways, back to original question... does ordering a Sky from a Saturn dealership automatically lock-in my pricing to whatever Saturn sets?
I went to the Saturn website and asked that question, and the answer I got was "It is up to the individual retailer to set the selling price of any vehicle, although we strongly suggest that MSRP is used as the selling price, it is still just a Suggested price..."

It is federal law that the manufacturer cannot tell the dealer how much he can sell a car for, the lable on there is called MSRP, and that means Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If they try to get more than MSRP from me, then I will walk ... no matter how bad I want this car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I went to the Saturn website and asked that question, and the answer I got was "It is up to the individual retailer to set the selling price of any vehicle, although we strongly suggest that MSRP is used as the selling price, it is still just a Suggested price..."

It is federal law that the manufacturer cannot tell the dealer how much he can sell a car for, the lable on there is called MSRP, and that means Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price.
However Saturn Dealers have a "No Haggle" Pricing structure, so that means a mark-up is less likely since Customers cannot talk down. If a Pontiac dealer marks up you can say, lower it or I walk. At a Saturn Dealer once the price is set that's it (until the dealer changes it), like a Grocrey Store or any other store.

·
Registered
128 Posts
usmc said:
I can't imagine how I would react if after waiting all this time, I walk in to the dealer to order the car and they tack on 3k!!. I know that it doesn't appear that saturn will do this and I've been told by a sales guy at my specific dealer that they won't but I feel for the sol people.

and then have to deal with a smug looking sales person who says " take it or leave it, theres a guy right behind you that will pay". At the very least, they should tell you this is what they intend to do when you place your deposit.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

wow, getting mad just thinking about it
My thing is this, I want a Sky but I don't need it. jacwag

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I have it in writing that the Sky will be priced similar to the Miata. If not then the deal is off. This was supposed to be a Mazda killer. It's also supposed to be an affordable car. And it's supposed to be that whole new direction for Saturn.

If the price is a lot higher than the Mazda product then people will not buy it. Having the new direction sitting on the dealership floor isn't a good thing. They want these things to sell. I'd think they want them to fly off the dealership floors for the first while. Although I can see them wanting to keep the first one around for a while until production ramps up. They want to show it off.

Time will tell. Production should be about a month away now. :willy: And delivery should be 3 months away. I think I'm going to make it. :cheers: :eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
29995 is obviously dealer inflated or CDN. It will certainly come back to bite those Pontiac dealers trying to sell a fully loaded Sol for probably 4k more than an identically equipped Sky at MSRP. There does have to be a premium upcharge for a base Sky over the Solstice with equal options installed since Saturn is trying to make themselves over to fit the void left by Olds in the price ladder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts