Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new member here. I have had my saturn for 3 weeks now. the previous owner had it for 16 mths. and put 1500 miles on it. I have already put 900 miles on it. :willy: Question is, when i put the top up i am having trouble with it. the trap doors dont open correctly and I have to walk around to each side and help it up so the top fits properly. Is this normal or is something missing?
thanks all
krnwtr

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
There should be a cable attached to each of the doors that open them as the top goes up. It won't hurt anything to lift them up at the trailing edge to check on the cable attachment.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did notice those. the one on the passengers side is broken, but the drivers side is not. they tensioned off of each other?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
i did notice those. the one on the passengers side is broken, but the drivers side is not. they tensioned off of each other?
Hmm. I don't know the answer to that one. Someone will chime in here that knows.

·
Registered
17,492 Posts
there is a small plastic piece that is attached to the cable end in the trunk under the trunk carpeting..bring it into a pontiac dealership...they will have to replace the cable. If u wish to see it, take off the top push pin on the side of the buttress that is broken, and then take a look...although u r not familiar with this car, so u will not understand what u r looking at.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I had my plastic piece broke last year when they replaced my top. I will post a picture of the item, and hopefully, I still have an example of the part in the glove box. I would do it now, but the Sky is out 'working'... I had both of those replaced and ordered a spare...:D

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
As promised here are the pics, however, while opening my top up to take a picture or 2, the one on my drivers side just broke opening it...:eek:
Curses, I have been jinx...:willy:

Luckily I had that spare I told ya'll about, :D it was just used up...:D
I strongly recommend that ya'll grab some spares, I looked at this night mare GM created nonsense, and am ready to "modify" this thing, because at some point, we ain't gonna be able to find these cheaply made BUT expensive to ship little guys in the future..:mad: This is the second one broken on me in less than a year, and I hardly ever put top down... Perhaps it's our sun down here, :dunno:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm Part# 15290793 Called a "Bushing Coussinet" List $3.51, GM Parts direct $2.00
LOL, cost more to ship than the price of the part. I would contact your dealer and have them order some and let them pay the shipping.:D..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AWESOME thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
This is why or site is very inportance. These tips save us alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$;
Thanks all for this posting.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
771 Posts
Interesting, I looked and found that I have one Red and one Blue Retainer / Bushing (whatever you want to call it) – The cable snap retainer.

Kinda reminds me of the old door lock rod retainers.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I have a great hardwear store. After I get my hands on this. I will be looking for a spring steel pc to replace these and stop this pain in the a--!
LLLFLY

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's just great... I paid about $30 for mine, It came with the little black metal part that snaps onto the flap... Since then, I noticed that the ones on the rear hatch latch of the Chevy Trailblazer are the same... In case you like scoring parts from salvage yards like I do...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Someone here surely has a 3D printer, and could figure out how to make and sell small parts like this...

One of my goals for the coming school year is to learn how to apply some 3D printing to parts that I want in/on my Sky.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I have a 3d printer, but I wouldn't even bother to do a design for this when you can pick them up at generic auto parts stores so cheaply.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Which printer do you have? I just received my Airwolf3D dual direct drive printer. I want to be able to make small parts like the moving parts for the cup holder, the fender rubber bumpers, etc. I have a small scanner that will hopefully support building printable models of same. I was amazed to learn that you can actually print in material that acts like rubber once its printed.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I built mine from a kit - a Folger Tech Kossel 2020 - but most of the things I've designed/printed have been parts to modify the printer itself (new bed mount, PSU mounts, magnetic arms, new print head mount design, reel mount, etc) :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts